XP registration?

jjb48

      20th Feb 2004
What happens to an install of XP home/full version if you
do not register it within the time limit? Really curious.

Jack

      20th Feb 2004
It explodes....yes....

your welcome....

---
2/3/2004

Dave

      20th Feb 2004

"jjb48" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1339d01c3f7e7$38263540$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What happens to an install of XP home/full version if you
> do not register it within the time limit? Really curious.

absolutely nothing. there is not requirement to register and no time limit.

Mike Kolitz

      20th Feb 2004
Nothing.
Registration is completely optional.

Activation, however, is not. If you don't activate within the time limit,
you'll be locked out of that Windows installation until you activate it.

--
Mike Kolitz MCSE 2000
MS-MVP - Windows Setup and Deployment

"jjb48" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1339d01c3f7e7$38263540$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What happens to an install of XP home/full version if you
> do not register it within the time limit? Really curious.

=?Utf-8?B?U2Vhbg==?=

      20th Feb 2004
XP allows you to use it for a limited time (I've forgotten the ammount) without registerring with MS. Once this timelimit is exceeded, the OS will boot up and prompt you to regiter. If you cancel the registration the Os will shut the computer back down

Dave

      20th Feb 2004

"Sean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> XP allows you to use it for a limited time (I've forgotten the ammount)

without registerring with MS. Once this timelimit is exceeded, the OS will
boot up and prompt you to regiter. If you cancel the registration the Os
will shut the computer back down.

no it won't. registration is completely optional. nothing happens if you
never do it.

Scott

      20th Feb 2004
There is a BIG difference between "registration" & "activation". You are NOT
required to "register", but ARE required to "activate" Windows XP within 30
days of installation.
Hope a straight answer helped in your quest vs. all the smart@ss replies you
received below.

"jjb48" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1339d01c3f7e7$38263540$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What happens to an install of XP home/full version if you
> do not register it within the time limit? Really curious.

Ken Blake, MVP

      20th Feb 2004
In news:1339d01c3f7e7$38263540$(E-Mail Removed),
jjb48 <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:

> What happens to an install of XP home/full version if you
> do not register it within the time limit? Really curious.

You are mixing up registration and activation. There is no
requirement to register and no time limit.

However Activation is mandatory. If you don't activate within 30
days you will be unable to use Windows except in Safe Mode.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Alex Nichol

      21st Feb 2004
jjb48 wrote:

>What happens to an install of XP home/full version if you
>do not register it within the time limit? Really curious.

You will find you are unable to use it other than in Safe mode without
networking, until you activate it (not register) by phoning in.

Bournemouth, U.K. (E-Mail Removed) (remove the D8 bit)