johnn

      27th Feb 2009
Hi:

I have an IBM notepad which has XP Pro as an OS.
I fired it up today, and it acted as if it were going to install SP3; but then it could not
complete.

I now have version 2002 SP2

Is there in fact a SP3 for XP Pro?
__________________________________
johnn
__________________________________
"God is dead"
- Nietzsche (1844-1935)
"Nietzsche is dead"
- God

Unknown

      27th Feb 2009
Yes!
"johnn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi:
>
> I have an IBM notepad which has XP Pro as an OS.
> I fired it up today, and it acted as if it were going to install SP3; but
> then it could not
> complete.
>
> I now have version 2002 SP2
>
> Is there in fact a SP3 for XP Pro?
> __________________________________
> johnn
> __________________________________
> "God is dead"
> - Nietzsche (1844-1935)
> "Nietzsche is dead"
> - God

johnn

      27th Feb 2009
On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 14:42:27 -0600, "Unknown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"johnn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> Is there in fact a SP3 for XP Pro?

>Yes!

Thanks! It is installing now, but it litterally takes hours . . .
Oh well, I'm retired . . .

__________________________________
johnn
__________________________________
"God is dead"
- Nietzsche (1844-1935)
"Nietzsche is dead"
- God

JS

      27th Feb 2009
Where to download the SP3 installation file:
(File is large but will only install components that your PC requires)

Free unlimited installation and compatibility support
(Via Email, Chat or Phone support)

JS
http://www.pagestart.com

"johnn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi:
>
> I have an IBM notepad which has XP Pro as an OS.
> I fired it up today, and it acted as if it were going to install SP3; but
> then it could not
> complete.
>
> I now have version 2002 SP2
>
> Is there in fact a SP3 for XP Pro?
> __________________________________
> johnn
> __________________________________
> "God is dead"
> - Nietzsche (1844-1935)
> "Nietzsche is dead"
> - God

Shenan Stanley

      28th Feb 2009
johnn wrote:
> I have an IBM notepad which has XP Pro as an OS.
> I fired it up today, and it acted as if it were going to install
> SP3; but then it could not complete.
>
> I now have version 2002 SP2
>
> Is there in fact a SP3 for XP Pro?

For many many months now.

Nothing has or will change with Windows XP SP3. The majority of the issues
you read about will be because the computer in question *had* a problem to
begin with and had that problem been properly dealt with (or never caused)
then SP3 would not have exposed the issue (because it wouldn't have existed
to expose.)

I've installed Windows XP SP3 onto thousands upon thousands of machines
by now - I may have ran into issues on a dozen or so machines - and for the
majority of those, my bad.

Short:

With proper preparation - you are unlikely to have problems - and if you
have been performing proper maintenance all along - even if you do - you are
only out a short period of time (restoring from the backup/drive image you
made wisely before diving in...)

A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Suggestions:

1) Download the full SP3 installation file and/or burn the ISO download to
CD.
2) Ensure (as well as plausible) you have no spyware/malware by doing a full
scan with SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes.
3) CHKDSK
4) Defragment
5) Ensure your hardware drivers are up to date (from the hardware
manufacturer's respective web pages.)
6) Reboot right before you try to install SP3.
7) Disconnect from the internet before installing (physically.)
8) Disable your antivirus and antispyware applications when you are about to
install SP3.

Some (if not all) of that is covered in the above links.

Long:

Like it or not - Windows XP SP3 is something that you probably should
install if...

- You are currently running Windows XP (32bit).
- You care about keeping your machine current and running its best.
- You wish to continue running Windows XP for some indeterminate time into
the future.
- You want to free support if you have any trouble installing it (SP3 that
is.)

Service Pack 3 is mostly all of the updates released after SP2 and until the
release of SP3. You may think to yourself that you have been keeping your
PC updated - so you probably have all those updates - fact is, you'd be
incorrect. You may have all the publically released ones, but SP3 contains
1179 previously released updates - guaranteed you do not have them all
installed without it. ;-)

Most of the issues people have had with SP3 have to do with their particular
configuration or a problem caused by a third party change/mis-configuration
on their system - and almost all have a relatively simple fix.

Before starting, know where you can get help:

A place to get FREE support for SP3 installation issues *from Microsoft*
until April 2009...

Other than "Automatic Updates" or the Windows Update web page - how can you
get SP3?

Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for
IT Professionals and Developers (works just as well for you.)

Do a little reading - to ensure you are ready...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Release Notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...1/relnotes.htm

Key things to note:
Internet Explorer:
"If you have installed Windows Internet Explorer® 7 or a beta version of
Internet Explorer 8, and then install Windows XP SP3, you cannot uninstall
Internet Explorer. To avoid this, ensure Internet Explorer 7 or a beta
version of Internet Explorer 8 is not installed before installing Windows XP
SP3. If you have already encountered this issue, uninstall Windows XP SP3,
uninstall Internet Explorer, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3."

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002:
"If you install Windows XP SP3 on a computer running Windows XP Media Center
Edition 2002 with SP1, Windows XP Media Center Edition may malfunction. To
avoid this, install Windows XP SP2 before you install Windows XP SP3. If
this issue has already occurred, uninstall Windows XP SP3, install Windows
XP SP2, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3."

Did all that and have some issues you believe might be related to SP3?
Check these out:

It seems some people are unable to get further updates after installing
SP3... Seems some have experienced a symptom similar to doing a repair
installation on Windows XP - and the same fix seems to work for them for
that...

Update, or by using Automatic Updates after you repair a Windows XP
installation: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Some people experience an "endless reboot" issue...

Workarounds:
http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
[NB: The above has been updated many times and now includes "a small tool
that will detect the IntelPPM problem and mitigate it before installing
[WinXP SP3]."

1. Boot into Safe Mode and rename INTELPMM.SYS to INTELPMM.OLD.
2. After booting into Safe Mode:
Start --> Run --> (copy/paste)
sc config intelppm start= disabled
--> OK --> Reboot into normal (Windows) mode.

Other references include:
1. http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?p=187790#p187790
2.http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesp...ng-xp-sp3.aspx
3. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...boots_crashes/
4.
http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9084418
5. You receive a "Stop 0x0000007E" error message after you upgrade to
Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 on a
non-Intel-processor-based computer (Revised 06 May-08):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888372

Some people have gotten an "Access Denied" message when trying to install
SP3... I suggest going straight to the third method of this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

Beyond that - some simple maintenance might be needed - like installing the
latest hardware drivers from your hardware vendors...

Good luck to you! You shouldn't need it, however, with just a little
planning. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

nupsig

      3rd Mar 2009

'johnn[_2_ Wrote:
> ;1478570']O
>
> Thanks! It is installing now, but it litterally takes hours . . .
> Oh well, I'm retired . . .
>

> __________________________________
> johnn
> __________________________________
> "God is dead"
> - Nietzsche (1844-1935)
> "Nietzsche is dead"
> - God

Yes, it will need hours for install SP3. Because it same with modifie
all system in your OS. BUt i believe after you using SP3, you would no
disappoin

--
nupsig

Edward W. Thompson

      4th Mar 2009

"nupsig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> 'johnn[_2_ Wrote:
>> ;1478570']O
>>
>> Thanks! It is installing now, but it litterally takes hours . . .
>> Oh well, I'm retired . . .
>>

>> __________________________________
>> johnn
>> __________________________________
>> "God is dead"
>> - Nietzsche (1844-1935)
>> "Nietzsche is dead"
>> - God

> Yes, it will need hours for install SP3. Because it same with modified
> all system in your OS. BUt i believe after you using SP3, you would not
> disappoint
>

> --
> nupsig

Hours? 35 to 40 minutes is about right. How do I know? I have just done
it!

It may take 'hours' if you include all the programs you may need but not
hours for the OS. If it does take 'hours' I sudder to think of the machine
performance once installed as the machine must be exceptionally slow.

Leonard Grey

      4th Mar 2009
(lol...24 minutes for SP3 and all the other updates I installed at the
same time...on a computer that's almost 7 years old.)
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Edward W. Thompson wrote:
> "nupsig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> 'johnn[_2_ Wrote:
>>> ;1478570']O
>>>
>>> Thanks! It is installing now, but it litterally takes hours . . .
>>> Oh well, I'm retired . . .
>>>

>>> __________________________________
>>> johnn

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 03:07:12 -0500, Leonard Grey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(lol...24 minutes for SP3 and all the other updates I installed at the
>same time...on a computer that's almost 7 years old.)
>---
>Leonard Grey
>Errare humanum est

>> "nupsig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Hours? 35 to 40 minutes is about right. How do I know? I have just done
>> it!
>>
>> It may take 'hours' if you include all the programs you may need but not
>> hours for the OS. If it does take 'hours' I sudder to think of the machine
>> performance once installed as the machine must be exceptionally slow.

Would the fact that I have only 256 MB of Ram (2 X 128) have anything to do with this?
It will take 2 X 512 modules.
The machine is an IBM ThinlPad A30, ( Pentium III-M - 1.13 GHz - ) and in my opinion should be
faster. It seems that whnever I load any programs, the HD is forever spinning.

I checked with the store where I bougth it to see in they had RAM modules, and while they do, they
cautioned me agains spending money on that, and said it probably would not make much - if any -
differense.

Any advice or opinion?

Thanks!
__________________________________
johnn
__________________________________
"God is dead"
- Nietzsche (1844-1935)
"Nietzsche is dead"
- God

Unknown

      4th Mar 2009
It will make a huge difference. 256 MB is about minimum for Windows XP.
I suggest you go to www.crucial.com and research your memory details. They
guarantee their
memory and are cheaper than others.