XP will not remember windows explorer window size

coffeefilter

      16th Sep 2008
hi, i've had this problem some years back, but can't remember how to fix
this....just like windows explorer. i've tried resetting all folders,
holding control key and clicking X in the title bar and going to File then
Close. nothing seems to work. anyone have any ideas.

thanks
dave

Xandros

      16th Sep 2008
You can try this reghack. Go to Start->Run and enter REGEDIT. Then drill
down to and delete these 2 keys

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags

Be sure that you set a System Restore Point first and understand how to
restore Windows, in the unlikely case that the registry becomes corrupt.

--

Xandros

"coffeefilter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi, i've had this problem some years back, but can't remember how to fix
> this....just like windows explorer. i've tried resetting all folders,
> holding control key and clicking X in the title bar and going to File then
> Close. nothing seems to work. anyone have any ideas.
>
> thanks
> dave

VanguardLH

      16th Sep 2008
Get the TweakUI powertoy for XP. Under the Explorer -> Customizations
node. Up the value to something like 8000. I don't recall if the
change requires a reload of Windows to make the change effective. It's
been so long since I upped this customization count to 8000 that I don't
remember what was the original value. This changes a registry setting
but I like doing it through TweakUI rather than do yet another Google
search trying to find the registry key and data item that get modified.

"coffeefilter" wrote ...
> i've tried resetting all folders, holding control key and
> clicking X in the title bar and going to File then Close.

Milt

      16th Sep 2008
Is this what you're looking for?
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and go to #2, left hand side.
"Increase Folder View Size Limit To 8000". (The instructions for using it are
at the top of the page.)

Milt

"coffeefilter" wrote:

> hi, i've had this problem some years back, but can't remember how to fix
> this....just like windows explorer. i've tried resetting all folders,
> holding control key and clicking X in the title bar and going to File then
> Close. nothing seems to work. anyone have any ideas.
>
> thanks
> dave

New Member

      15th Jul 2012
I know these are old threads, but for you guys that have not got a solution. I've come to the conclusion that Windows Explorer is very closely linked to Internet Explorer. There may be a MS patch that allows separate settings for both in the future but until then:.......
Open I.E. and resize the open window to the size that you would like windows explorer to open at and then close using the file close option. This should then save the windows settings that are also applied to windows explorer. Open windows explorer to verify settings.
Simple but effective.
Hope this works. Took a while to work this one out for me.
Cheers
Trevfromaus.