XP Normal User loses printer between sessions

Siv

      16th Oct 2008

Hi,
I maintain some XP Pro SP2/SP3 computers in a small Primary school in the UK
and recently I installed a new HP colour LaserJet. I set it up via USB on
the Windows 2003 Server as there are no spare network ports and shared it
out. I then logged into each XP box as the pupil account which is a limited
(ie non administrative) domain user on the local box.

I then opened explorer and navigated to the server and double-clicked the
shared colour laserjet, this installed the driver and the print queue window
appeared. I then selected "Set as default" on the "printer" menu and then
closed out.

I did a test print from a Word document and everything worked fine.

The next day when the users logged on with the same account the printer had
disappeared?

Any ideas why the printer is being lost between sessions. I had also
installed the printer on the teacher's administrative log on (again a domain
account but this time with local box admin rights)?

I have found that it is disappearing on the teacher's account as well, so I
can install the printer, send prints to it and then log off, log back in
again immediately and the printer has gone again??

Any help appreciated.

Siv
--
Martley, Near Worcester, UK

Alan Morris [MSFT]

      16th Oct 2008
check for logon / log off scripts that may delete printer connections

you can setup the printer connections on each machine such that any user who
logs onto a system gets the printer connection.

Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Siv" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I maintain some XP Pro SP2/SP3 computers in a small Primary school in the
> UK
> and recently I installed a new HP colour LaserJet. I set it up via USB on
> the Windows 2003 Server as there are no spare network ports and shared it
> out. I then logged into each XP box as the pupil account which is a
> limited
> (ie non administrative) domain user on the local box.
>
> I then opened explorer and navigated to the server and double-clicked the
> shared colour laserjet, this installed the driver and the print queue
> window
> appeared. I then selected "Set as default" on the "printer" menu and then
> closed out.
>
> I did a test print from a Word document and everything worked fine.
>
> The next day when the users logged on with the same account the printer
> had
> disappeared?
>
> Any ideas why the printer is being lost between sessions. I had also
> installed the printer on the teacher's administrative log on (again a
> domain
> account but this time with local box admin rights)?
>
> I have found that it is disappearing on the teacher's account as well, so
> can install the printer, send prints to it and then log off, log back in
> again immediately and the printer has gone again??
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Siv
> --
> Martley, Near Worcester, UK

Siv

      16th Oct 2008
Alan,
I don't think there are any scripts that will do that, but I will check,
some IT guys from the local County education department installed a server to
manage internet connection and they may have messed with the main server as
part of that.

I will also have a look at the other link you provided.

Thanks for your help,

Siv
--
Martley, Near Worcester, UK