XP machine must supply credentials to connect to shared printer...

Brad Pears

      13th Apr 2005
We have a sales user who uses his own XP Pro laptop on our network. His
office here is being renovated and he has had to move downstairs. Because of
this, he has asked me to make sure he can print to the printer downstairs -
which happens to be an HP LJ 3330, connected directly to another XP Pro
machine with sharing enabled.

His laptop is not in our domain. It is in his own "personal" workgroup.

When I try to add the printer using the add printer wizard and browse the
network for the XP machine hosting the shared printer he wishes to connect
to, double clicking that machine shows me nothing.

If I then specify the computername\sharedprintername directly i.e.
\\tele11\hp3330, I am prompted with a username/password signon screen to the
tele11 machine.

I am assuming this is because his XP Pro machine is not a part of our
domain. (correct me if I am wrong)

Since he will have to work downstairs and will require access to this
printer for some time, is there a way I can configure his machine so that he
does not always have to specify the username/password to authenticate to the
tele11 machine? I could map a network drive to the C$ share of the tele11
machine and supply the appropiate credentials but there must be a better
way!!

Help!

Thanks,

Brad

Bob I

      13th Apr 2005
At the command line please review the output from.

net use /?

Brad Pears wrote:

> We have a sales user who uses his own XP Pro laptop on our network. His
> office here is being renovated and he has had to move downstairs. Because of
> this, he has asked me to make sure he can print to the printer downstairs -
> which happens to be an HP LJ 3330, connected directly to another XP Pro
> machine with sharing enabled.
>
> His laptop is not in our domain. It is in his own "personal" workgroup.
>
> When I try to add the printer using the add printer wizard and browse the
> network for the XP machine hosting the shared printer he wishes to connect
> to, double clicking that machine shows me nothing.
>
> If I then specify the computername\sharedprintername directly i.e.
> \\tele11\hp3330, I am prompted with a username/password signon screen to the
> tele11 machine.
>
> I am assuming this is because his XP Pro machine is not a part of our
> domain. (correct me if I am wrong)
>
> Since he will have to work downstairs and will require access to this
> printer for some time, is there a way I can configure his machine so that he
> does not always have to specify the username/password to authenticate to the
> tele11 machine? I could map a network drive to the C$ share of the tele11
> machine and supply the appropiate credentials but there must be a better
> way!!
>
> Help!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brad

=?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbCBFdmFuY2hpaw==?=

      14th Apr 2005
Brad,

on the machine that has the printer, make sure you add the user name and
password for the other person that access it.

so whatever he logs into for his own machine, the same user name and
password needs to be on the computer that has the printer.

Mike
www.michaelevanchik.com