XP Device manager items w/ yellow exclamation marks

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0Sw==?=

      10th Dec 2005
I was looking thru Device Manager and clicked View>show hidden devices &
noticed two items with the yellow questions marks beside them- the first was:
under "Printers" was my printer, then below it "Parallel Device" had the
question mark. When clicking it for more info it said "The drivers for this
device aren't installed. To reinstall click Reinstall Driver. Code 28" The
device type said "printer". FYI my printer is an older HP 722C & I believe I
installed it using WinXPs own printer driver. I haven't had any issues with
this or the other device I found in conflict in Device Manager but was just
curious if I needed to do anything with either one- or if not broke don't
fix!

The second device with a yellow exclamation mark was under Non Plug & Play
Drivers> PartMgr. It said: "Device not present, not working properly or
doesn't have all its drivers ,Code 24. Display name: Partition Manager,
Current status: started, Startup>type: Boot. Driver files:
c:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\partmgr.sys, file version: 5.1.2600.0

The PartMgr had a troubleshoot option but I haven't tried it yet and the
Parallel Device had a reinstall driver option but that came back empty after
trying it. Thanks for any help with this! RK

Gerry Cornell

      10th Dec 2005
Robert

The HP link leading to the driver follows:
http://snipurl.com/knsv

Your other Code 24 message is more difficult -see link for more information
about Device Manager error codes:
http://snipurl.com/7key

I would sort the printer driver and see if the Code 24 goes away.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England

Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"RobertK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was looking thru Device Manager and clicked View>show hidden devices &
> noticed two items with the yellow questions marks beside them- the first
> was:
> under "Printers" was my printer, then below it "Parallel Device" had the
> question mark. When clicking it for more info it said "The drivers for
> this
> device aren't installed. To reinstall click Reinstall Driver. Code 28"
> The
> device type said "printer". FYI my printer is an older HP 722C & I believe
> installed it using WinXPs own printer driver. I haven't had any issues
> with
> this or the other device I found in conflict in Device Manager but was
> just
> curious if I needed to do anything with either one- or if not broke don't
> fix!
>
> The second device with a yellow exclamation mark was under Non Plug & Play
> Drivers> PartMgr. It said: "Device not present, not working properly or
> doesn't have all its drivers ,Code 24. Display name: Partition Manager,
> Current status: started, Startup>type: Boot. Driver files:
> c:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\partmgr.sys, file version: 5.1.2600.0
>
> The PartMgr had a troubleshoot option but I haven't tried it yet and the
> Parallel Device had a reinstall driver option but that came back empty
> after
> trying it. Thanks for any help with this! RK

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0Sw==?=

      11th Dec 2005
Gerry, thanks for the reply. I followed your first link (HP) and everything
seems to be installed correctly- the HP722C printer icon appears in Printers
& Faxes and it's checked as the default printer. I don't understand what the
Parallel Device showing up below the HP 722C icon in Device Manager is all
about, other than I know the printer uses the parallel port. I wonder if I
should try uninstalling & reinstalling the printer to see what happens? As
I've mentioned I've had no issues with the printer & just came across these
exclamation marks on a whim.

When you said I should sort the printer driver to see if the Code 24 goes
away- did you mean working on the above HP722C issue first, or use the
troubleshooter in PartMgr? If so can I try uninstalling the PartMgr device
and installing it again? Thanks, Robert

"Gerry Cornell" wrote:

> Robert
>
> The HP link leading to the driver follows:
> http://snipurl.com/knsv
>
> Your other Code 24 message is more difficult -see link for more information
> about Device Manager error codes:
> http://snipurl.com/7key
>
> I would sort the printer driver and see if the Code 24 goes away.
>

> --
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Gerry
> ~~~~
> FCA
> Stourport, England
>
> Enquire, plan and execute
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> "RobertK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I was looking thru Device Manager and clicked View>show hidden devices &
> > noticed two items with the yellow questions marks beside them- the first
> > was:
> > under "Printers" was my printer, then below it "Parallel Device" had the
> > question mark. When clicking it for more info it said "The drivers for
> > this
> > device aren't installed. To reinstall click Reinstall Driver. Code 28"
> > The
> > device type said "printer". FYI my printer is an older HP 722C & I believe
> > installed it using WinXPs own printer driver. I haven't had any issues
> > with
> > this or the other device I found in conflict in Device Manager but was
> > just
> > curious if I needed to do anything with either one- or if not broke don't
> > fix!
> >
> > The second device with a yellow exclamation mark was under Non Plug & Play
> > Drivers> PartMgr. It said: "Device not present, not working properly or
> > doesn't have all its drivers ,Code 24. Display name: Partition Manager,
> > Current status: started, Startup>type: Boot. Driver files:
> > c:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\partmgr.sys, file version: 5.1.2600.0
> >
> > The PartMgr had a troubleshoot option but I haven't tried it yet and the
> > Parallel Device had a reinstall driver option but that came back empty
> > after
> > trying it. Thanks for any help with this! RK

Gerry Cornell

      11th Dec 2005
Robert

Have the yellow question marks gone?

If not what are the error codes now?

If there are no Device Error codes against the printer I would leave the
printer as it is.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England

Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"RobertK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Gerry, thanks for the reply. I followed your first link (HP) and
> everything
> seems to be installed correctly- the HP722C printer icon appears in
> Printers
> & Faxes and it's checked as the default printer. I don't understand what
> the
> Parallel Device showing up below the HP 722C icon in Device Manager is
> all
> about, other than I know the printer uses the parallel port. I wonder if
> should try uninstalling & reinstalling the printer to see what happens? As
> I've mentioned I've had no issues with the printer & just came across
> these
> exclamation marks on a whim.
>
> When you said I should sort the printer driver to see if the Code 24 goes
> away- did you mean working on the above HP722C issue first, or use the
> troubleshooter in PartMgr? If so can I try uninstalling the PartMgr
> device
> and installing it again? Thanks, Robert
>
> "Gerry Cornell" wrote:

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0Sw==?=

      11th Dec 2005
Gerry, no the yellow marks are still next to the Parallel Device
(branched-out below the printer) and the PartMgr. Same error codes as before.
-Robert

"Gerry Cornell" wrote:

> Robert
>
> Have the yellow question marks gone?
>
> If not what are the error codes now?
>
> If there are no Device Error codes against the printer I would leave the
> printer as it is.
>
> --
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Gerry
> ~~~~
> FCA
> Stourport, England
>
> Enquire, plan and execute
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> "RobertK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Gerry, thanks for the reply. I followed your first link (HP) and
> > everything
> > seems to be installed correctly- the HP722C printer icon appears in
> > Printers
> > & Faxes and it's checked as the default printer. I don't understand what
> > the
> > Parallel Device showing up below the HP 722C icon in Device Manager is
> > all
> > about, other than I know the printer uses the parallel port. I wonder if
> > should try uninstalling & reinstalling the printer to see what happens? As
> > I've mentioned I've had no issues with the printer & just came across
> > these
> > exclamation marks on a whim.
> >
> > When you said I should sort the printer driver to see if the Code 24 goes
> > away- did you mean working on the above HP722C issue first, or use the
> > troubleshooter in PartMgr? If so can I try uninstalling the PartMgr
> > device
> > and installing it again? Thanks, Robert
> >
> > "Gerry Cornell" wrote:

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0Sw==?=

      14th Dec 2005
Further update for the Parallel Device conflict:
I uninstalled the printer and reinstalled it, also updated the driver. No
change. (the driver was the most recent before the uninstall too) Same as
before. I started in Safe Mode to see if the conflicts went away but they did
not.

I tried uninstalling the PartMgr (the other device conflict) in Device
Manager but all that did was cause my system to crash during reboot- so I
chose the "last configuration that worked before error" option and the system
started up fine and works fine. Later I read that removing non-plug & play
devices can cause system problems- I shouldn't have been messing around with
something I wasn't sure of. (<: So back to square one investigating these
curious conflicts...

"RobertK" wrote:

> Gerry, no the yellow marks are still next to the Parallel Device
> (branched-out below the printer) and the PartMgr. Same error codes as before.
> -Robert
>
> "Gerry Cornell" wrote:
>
> > Robert
> >
> > Have the yellow question marks gone?
> >
> > If not what are the error codes now?
> >
> > If there are no Device Error codes against the printer I would leave the
> > printer as it is.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > Gerry
> > ~~~~
> > FCA
> > Stourport, England
> >
> > Enquire, plan and execute
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >

> > "RobertK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Gerry, thanks for the reply. I followed your first link (HP) and
> > > everything
> > > seems to be installed correctly- the HP722C printer icon appears in
> > > Printers
> > > & Faxes and it's checked as the default printer. I don't understand what
> > > the
> > > Parallel Device showing up below the HP 722C icon in Device Manager is
> > > all
> > > about, other than I know the printer uses the parallel port. I wonder if
> > > should try uninstalling & reinstalling the printer to see what happens? As
> > > I've mentioned I've had no issues with the printer & just came across
> > > these
> > > exclamation marks on a whim.
> > >
> > > When you said I should sort the printer driver to see if the Code 24 goes
> > > away- did you mean working on the above HP722C issue first, or use the
> > > troubleshooter in PartMgr? If so can I try uninstalling the PartMgr
> > > device
> > > and installing it again? Thanks, Robert
> > >
> > > "Gerry Cornell" wrote:

Gerry Cornell

      14th Dec 2005
Robert

So what conflicts are there if the system started up fine and works fine?

--

Regards.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England

Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"RobertK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Further update for the Parallel Device conflict:
> I uninstalled the printer and reinstalled it, also updated the driver. No
> change. (the driver was the most recent before the uninstall too) Same as
> before. I started in Safe Mode to see if the conflicts went away but they
> did
> not.
>
> I tried uninstalling the PartMgr (the other device conflict) in Device
> Manager but all that did was cause my system to crash during reboot- so I
> chose the "last configuration that worked before error" option and the
> system
> started up fine and works fine. Later I read that removing non-plug & play
> devices can cause system problems- I shouldn't have been messing around
> with
> something I wasn't sure of. (<: So back to square one investigating these
> curious conflicts...

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0Sw==?=

      14th Dec 2005
I guess none worth pursuing further! (<:

"Gerry Cornell" wrote:

> Robert
>
> So what conflicts are there if the system started up fine and works fine?
>
> --
>
> Regards.
>
> Gerry
> ~~~~
> FCA
> Stourport, England
>
> Enquire, plan and execute
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> "RobertK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Further update for the Parallel Device conflict:
> > I uninstalled the printer and reinstalled it, also updated the driver. No
> > change. (the driver was the most recent before the uninstall too) Same as
> > before. I started in Safe Mode to see if the conflicts went away but they
> > did
> > not.
> >
> > I tried uninstalling the PartMgr (the other device conflict) in Device
> > Manager but all that did was cause my system to crash during reboot- so I
> > chose the "last configuration that worked before error" option and the
> > system
> > started up fine and works fine. Later I read that removing non-plug & play
> > devices can cause system problems- I shouldn't have been messing around
> > with
> > something I wasn't sure of. (<: So back to square one investigating these
> > curious conflicts...

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iZXJ0Sw==?=

      19th Dec 2005
Update: the program "Bootskin" I have recently installed (that changes the
standard XP boot-up screen to any of several available on the web) causes the
conflict in PartMgr. When the program is uninstalled the conflict goes away.
But since there are no signs of anything negative happening other than this
I'm fine with leaving it installed for now. I've heard that many folks have
had issues with this freeware program (but not with my PartMgr thing) causing
start-up problems (seems to be whether or not you have the right BIOS
installed) and on its download site it mentions if you have a problem to try
two alternate versions & gives uninstalling instructions too. While I've
experienced no problems outwardly I'd suggest reading the user comments about
the freeware on Download.com before trying it- many unhappy users! But I seem
to be one of the lucky few with no problems.

"RobertK" wrote:

> I guess none worth pursuing further! (<:
>
> "Gerry Cornell" wrote:
>
> > Robert
> >
> > So what conflicts are there if the system started up fine and works fine?
> >
> > --
> >
> > Regards.
> >
> > Gerry
> > ~~~~
> > FCA
> > Stourport, England
> >
> > Enquire, plan and execute
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >

> > "RobertK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Further update for the Parallel Device conflict:
> > > I uninstalled the printer and reinstalled it, also updated the driver. No
> > > change. (the driver was the most recent before the uninstall too) Same as
> > > before. I started in Safe Mode to see if the conflicts went away but they
> > > did
> > > not.
> > >
> > > I tried uninstalling the PartMgr (the other device conflict) in Device
> > > Manager but all that did was cause my system to crash during reboot- so I
> > > chose the "last configuration that worked before error" option and the
> > > system
> > > started up fine and works fine. Later I read that removing non-plug & play
> > > devices can cause system problems- I shouldn't have been messing around
> > > with
> > > something I wasn't sure of. (<: So back to square one investigating these
> > > curious conflicts...

VanguardLH

      30th Apr 2012
x-praktor wrote 6.5 years later:

> RobertK wrote on 12/10/2005 00:57 ET :
>
>> I was looking thru Device Manager ...

> Thanx RobertK for your great idea about BootSkin. You rock! This problem has
> been puzzling me for a couple of days now, but you did the trick. I thought I
> had checked almost everything, even in the registry, but when I uninstalled
> BootSkin ver. 1.0.6 and re-installed ver.1.0.3, bam the odd exclamation
> disappeared and PartMgr is functioning correctly again + no more BSOD's! Thanx
> again + keep up the good work!

After 6-1/2 years, I doubt Robert is still monitoring this thread.