XP Code 32 Error Keyboard/Mouse *FIX*

Tayra Douglas

      8th Oct 2003
Error Message:

A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate
driver may be providing this functionality (Code 32).

Microsoft's Suggestions:

The start type for this driver is set to disabled in the registry.
Uninstall the driver, and then click Scan for hardware changes to
reinstall or upgrade the driver.
On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to
start the troubleshooting wizard.

If the driver is required, and if reinstalling or upgrading does not
work, change the start type in the registry using the registry editor.
For more information, see the Registry Reference in the Microsoft
Windows 2000 Server Resource Kit at http://www.microsoft.com/reskit.

---------------

After doing this several times I finally stumbled across the solution:
Click Start, then RUN, now type Regedit

Now navigate to: HKey_Local_Machine/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/i8042prt
and set "Start" to "1", this sets the i8042 (keyboard/mouce
controller) device to autostart. Restart the machine.

This worked for me, I hope it works for everyone else who is having
problems!

Nermal

      29th Oct 2003
(E-Mail Removed) (Tayra Douglas) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> After doing this several times I finally stumbled across the solution:
> Click Start, then RUN, now type Regedit
>
> Now navigate to: HKey_Local_Machine/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/i8042prt
> and set "Start" to "1", this sets the i8042 (keyboard/mouce
> controller) device to autostart. Restart the machine.
>
> This worked for me, I hope it works for everyone else who is having
> problems!

This solved the problem for me, thank you!! It was driving me nuts...

Christoph

New Member
Location: New Orleans, LA

      20th Jul 2009
thanks a billion you saved my skins i knew it was something simple but i overlooked it in the registry your post directed me straight to it

A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)

New Member

      19th Apr 2011
thanks a lot do you know how to disable laptop keyboard through registry ?

New Member
Location: New Orleans, LA

      19th Apr 2011
> Click Start, then RUN, now type Regedit
>
> Now navigate to: HKey_Local_Machine/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/i8042prt
> and set "Start" to "0", this sets the i8042 (keyboard/mouce
> controller) device to disabled. Restart the machine.

don't know why you would want to do that but good luck with it, don't forget this forum and this thread specifically

i still recall that day sitting in the office panting because i couldn't get the work laptop to work

hard to believe that was almost 2 years ago

New Member

      20th Apr 2011
Thanks,i spoiled my laptops keyboard (spilled water) and i am trying to disable it.I managed it by setting wrong drivers since there is no disable option.When i rollback i encounter the code 32 error.I am trying to find a way to disable keyboard without disabling touch-pad.Is there a way? I am pretty convinced that the only way is to change keyboard.