XP client connect button active but no response

=?Utf-8?B?TG9zdCBpbiBSRFAvdHN3ZWIgbGFuZA==?=

      17th Jun 2005
I have a set of computers at a client's location that have loaded the RDP
ActiveX and show an active "Connect" button when connected to a tsweb server,
but when clicking on the "Connect" button nothing happens. Have matched IE
activex settings with working pc's to no avail. Supposedly firewall/proxy
settings are open to 80/443 (verified several times).

Ideas? Suggestions?

=?Utf-8?B?UGF0cmljayBSb3VzZQ==?=

      20th Jun 2005
RDP connects via Port 3389. Ports 80 and 443 are HTTP/HTTPS which are only
used to deliver the ActiveX Client and connection settings. You need to open
port 3389 from the Internet to the private IP of the TS.
--
Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server

"Lost in RDP/tsweb land" wrote:

> I have a set of computers at a client's location that have loaded the RDP
> ActiveX and show an active "Connect" button when connected to a tsweb server,
> but when clicking on the "Connect" button nothing happens. Have matched IE
> activex settings with working pc's to no avail. Supposedly firewall/proxy
> settings are open to 80/443 (verified several times).
>
> Ideas? Suggestions?

=?Utf-8?B?UGF0cmljayBSb3VzZQ==?=

      20th Jun 2005
Try connecting directly via the Remote Desktop Client. If this works then
your Remote Desktop Web Connection is not configured correctly.
--

"Lost in RDP/tsweb land" wrote:

> I have a set of computers at a client's location that have loaded the RDP
> ActiveX and show an active "Connect" button when connected to a tsweb server,
> but when clicking on the "Connect" button nothing happens. Have matched IE
> activex settings with working pc's to no avail. Supposedly firewall/proxy
> settings are open to 80/443 (verified several times).
>
> Ideas? Suggestions?

=?Utf-8?B?TG9zdCBpbiBSRFAvdHN3ZWIgbGFuZA==?=

      20th Jun 2005
I think you misunderstand or I did not fully explain. The user connects to a
tsweb server and asks that server to connect to another server. The first
server "talks" to the second server over port 3389, but the workstation
"talks" to the second server over 443. The terminal server is configured
correctly. We have several (20-30) other workstations that are able to user
this connection as is. The biggest problem here is that we have no direct
control of this workstation or the firewall/proxy. We have to communicate
our needs to the local admins to care for problems and all "appears" to be
configured properly on the workstation, firewalls, proxies.

"Patrick Rouse" wrote:

> Try connecting directly via the Remote Desktop Client. If this works then
> your Remote Desktop Web Connection is not configured correctly.
> --
> Patrick Rouse
> Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
> http://www.workthin.com
>

> "Lost in RDP/tsweb land" wrote:
>
> > I have a set of computers at a client's location that have loaded the RDP
> > ActiveX and show an active "Connect" button when connected to a tsweb server,
> > but when clicking on the "Connect" button nothing happens. Have matched IE
> > activex settings with working pc's to no avail. Supposedly firewall/proxy
> > settings are open to 80/443 (verified several times).
> >
> > Ideas? Suggestions?

=?Utf-8?B?UGF0cmljayBSb3VzZQ==?=

      20th Jun 2005
If this is a single PC problem then I'd address the one computer. I'd
probably tell you the same thing as the admin you're dealing with, it's a
problem with the remote user's PC. Perhaps they have a firewall blocking
traffic, or need their OS reinstalled.

I refuse to deal with people's home computers as they take more time to
troubleshoot than they're worth. Backup, clean-install, it'll work fine
(assuming the ISP isn't blocking traffic).