PC Review

XP Boot problems+more

16th May 2012
So I'm having a problem booting off of my old hard drive. It's the home edition of Windows XP. I have the professional edition on my main hard drive.

Anyway so when I go to try to boot off of the old drive it just automatically resets the computer after the windows splash screen.

I"m wondering what the main issue is? I tried to search for the boot file but couldn't find it even when I set hidden files to be shown.

My goal is not to use that drive. I just want to get on it so I can uninstall all of the old programs and then maybe uninstall Windows from it to save some space (also because it's a larger hard drive than the one I use now as my main drive) so I want it for a spare to hold my files. I just don't want to reformat it since I have stuff on it that I don't want deleted which I can't backup anyplace else.

Any ideas? Any software that would just allow me to uninstall programs from a non-booted drive? What should I do?

Thanks for the help all!

Master of Logic

16th May 2012
Sounds like your machine is BSOD after the splash. This is typical behavior. There is probably something wrong with your boot order, boot record, etc. First, you have to identify the error and go from there.

Boot to safe mode
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

Disable reboot on error
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstr...utorestart.htm

-Surfer

I'm not a rocket surgeon, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: