PC Review

The XP Blues

sugar 'n spikes

25th Mar 2012
I still run XP on one machine, mostly for games, the machine is in my bedroom. Tonight, things have not been working right on my XP install, lots of small quirky things, like I had somehow logged out of this forum when I didn't.

Haven't done a clean XP install for about two years so I guess the time is right. I do have a backup via Acronis True Image from around 6 months ago but I think it's time for a fresh install.

So, this will probably mean getting on the phone to the Microsoft robot voice and writing down or typing lots of numbers. Truly hate Microsoft, sometimes, you got my money, you should let me reinstall without agravation

Don Van Vliet 1941 - 2010. And the acid gold bar swirled up and down, up and down.

26th Mar 2012
Wouldn't a repair install make a difference?

That way would also save you having to replace all the programs already on there..

sugar 'n spikes

26th Mar 2012
I don't think a repair install would clear the quirks, it's not as if there's anything specifically wrong with it after all. It boots, it runs, it works, but some things seem to have a life of their own. Last night Race Driver: GRID wouldn't run for instance but guess what? This morning it ran ok.

So I think I'll put off the reinstall for now but I will get round to it, there is so much clutter in that OS it will be good to have a spring clean, so to speak.

Oddly enough, this doesn't happen (so far) with Vista or Win 7, both of those OS's, despite Vista's sluggishness, are a lot more stable than XP.

I was messing with Win 98 last night as well, trying to get Star Wars Episode One: Racer to work, but it wouldn't. What it did do was remove Direct X's ability to run Direct 3D so other games wouldn't work and I had to reinstall Nvidia video drivers to get the Direct 3D capability back again. I think the version of Direct X I'm running - Version 9b - may be too recent for the Star Wars game, it only needs Direct X 6.1

I'm no Microsoft fanboy but it's not until you go back and use an earlier OS such as Win 98SE that you realise just how good Win 7 is in comparison. And penny for penny, all things considered, an OEM copy of Win 7 is probably cheaper than Win 98SE was.

Don Van Vliet 1941 - 2010. And the acid gold bar swirled up and down, up and down.

26th Mar 2012
Ahh ok .

I don't own win7 yet quite like XP although I have been looking to buy it later on this year

I have tried win7 thought it clumsy at first and lots of option hidden..

sugar 'n spikes

26th Mar 2012
If you think Win 7 clumsy just try Win 8

My XP install really playing up now, Explorer constantly crashing and Dr Watson making frequent appearances. For now I think I'll just apply a backup with Acronis True Image and wait until I have a free day to do a complete reinstallation.

Rocket Scientist

26th Mar 2012
I quite like doing a complete fresh install once per year (at least when it's planned and not forced!) - everything seems to run faster and all of the accumulated guff is cleared out .

Last time I did a re-install with XP, I didn't need to give the 0800 number a call - so you may be lucky . I've had to do that with Vista recently and it wasn't much fun entering so many numbers...

Master of Logic

27th Mar 2012
Back in the day when I used to use my machine as a landing pad for downloads, I used to reformat every couple of months. Between the malware and other interesting crap I would see drift in, there were performance issues on the disk and file system after a period of moving such a large quantity of data on a regular basis. Testing programs also has a bit of an effect.

I had issues with updating my machine recently after a fresh format. I couldn't get it to update via the site or Control Panel. Luckily, my machine was on it's last leg for being a main workstation and I re-puposed it.

My three cents.

-Surfer

I'm not a rocket surgeon, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Acruncher

27th Mar 2012
When I ran XP I had a copy of a fresh install with all my favourite programs installed done with Acronis or Clonezilla. Needed a fresh insatll, use the copy and twenty minutes or so later job done.

"There's a saying in Estonia that in order to see new things, you have to follow common paths - paths you know."
Games people play, you take it or you leave it
Things that they say, honor brite
If I promise you the moon and the stars, would you believe it
Games people play in the middle of the night
~Alan Parsons Project, Games People Play

sugar 'n spikes

27th Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abarbarian View Post
When I ran XP I had a copy of a fresh install with all my favourite programs installed done with Acronis or Clonezilla. Needed a fresh insatll, use the copy and twenty minutes or so later job done.
That's a good idea and I did actually have a backup of a fresh XP install but the hard disk it was stored on died

So the XP backup I did have was rather full of clutter. I have now installed that backup and all is running smooth but I discovered that my SATA DVD-ROM drive has gone flakey on me. The Acronis boot disk wouldn't boot from it and it wouldn't read a couple of other disks. All functions worked well from the DVD-RW drive though. Can't remember the make but I bought it last Septemeber from E-Buyer so shall request rma number.

Although I wonder if it's worth it for the sake of 14 or so considering postage costs.

The drive being faulty may explain some of the anomalies I was experiencing. Anyhow, when I get a clear stretch a fresh install it shall be followed swiftly by the backing up of that fresh install.

25th May 2012
I had issues with updating my machine recently after a fresh format. I couldn't get it to update via the site or Control Panel. Luckily, my machine was on it's last leg for being a main workstation and I re-puposed it.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: