XCOPY - Insufficient Memory Error

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9lbCBMLg==?=

      30th Jan 2005
I am a having an issue with Xcopy that hopefully someone can help with. I use
Xcopy all the time but whenever it gets to the Temporary Internet Files it
sometimes works ok but other times it will stop with "Insufficient Memory".
Sometimes it gives the same error with other files but mostly in the Internet
Temporary Files folder. Is there a way to increase the memory for Xcopy so
that it doesn't stop with this error? Here is the command and switches that I
use.
"C:\>xcopy D:\*.* C:\BACKUP /e/c/h/r/y"

--
Joel L.

=?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3IEUu?=

      30th Jan 2005
What are you trying to do,if cloneing the hd is what youre after youre cmd is
wrong.Try: XCOPY C:\*.* D:\ /c/h/e/k/r
One can also,with a program running,pause the program,open task mgr,R.click
on the a process,then select priority,set 1X higher.

"Joel L." wrote:

> I am a having an issue with Xcopy that hopefully someone can help with. I use
> Xcopy all the time but whenever it gets to the Temporary Internet Files it
> sometimes works ok but other times it will stop with "Insufficient Memory".
> Sometimes it gives the same error with other files but mostly in the Internet
> Temporary Files folder. Is there a way to increase the memory for Xcopy so
> that it doesn't stop with this error? Here is the command and switches that I
> use.
> "C:\>xcopy D:\*.* C:\BACKUP /e/c/h/r/y"
>
> --
> Joel L.

Alex Nichol

      30th Jan 2005
Joel L. wrote:

>I am a having an issue with Xcopy that hopefully someone can help with. I use
>Xcopy all the time but whenever it gets to the Temporary Internet Files it
>sometimes works ok but other times it will stop with "Insufficient Memory".
>Sometimes it gives the same error with other files but mostly in the Internet
>Temporary Files folder.

XCOPY is a DOS program that runs in the DOS emulation; limited at the
very most to 612 K bytes of 'conventional memory. For best DOS
conventional memory, edit the windows\system32\config.nt and autoexec.nt
files.

In config.nt have (apart from the large number of REM lines) just
EMM = B=4000 RAM
(note the exact spaces - either side of the first = and before RAM,
none next to the second =) and

dos=high, umb
device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
files=40
(or higher files= if needed)

and in autoexec.nt have

REM Install DPMI support
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx

with other earlier lh lines REM ed out, and then any SET or PATH lines
that may already be present at the end.

This should give about 612K for a program, run from a shortcut made to
its .exe file. or for your XCOPY

Bournemouth, U.K. http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed)8E8L.org (remove the D8 bit)

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9lbCBMLg==?=

      30th Jan 2005
Thank you for your reply's and will try these settings when I get to work.
The reason why I use Xcopy all the time is because sometimes a customer wants
a data backup from their old system to their new system so they can import
emails, favorites, documents, etc. I usually just transfer the whole hard
drive to a backup folder on the root and then make a shortcut on the desktop
for the "all users" account before running sysprep. Copying the whole drive
is easier than going through bits and pieces of data and because there may be
things that the customer may not think about at the time of transfer. Before
you ask....Yes, I do a complete virus scan before transfer. I am looking into
Robocopy but not sure which switches would be best for this kind of
situation. Plus, it would be nice to change all the attributes so that
everything can be deleted after they are confident with retrieving everything
they need.

"Joel L." wrote:

> I am a having an issue with Xcopy that hopefully someone can help with. I use
> Xcopy all the time but whenever it gets to the Temporary Internet Files it
> sometimes works ok but other times it will stop with "Insufficient Memory".
> Sometimes it gives the same error with other files but mostly in the Internet
> Temporary Files folder. Is there a way to increase the memory for Xcopy so
> that it doesn't stop with this error? Here is the command and switches that I
> use.
> "C:\>xcopy D:\*.* C:\BACKUP /e/c/h/r/y"
>
> --
> Joel L.

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9lbCBMLg==?=

      2nd Feb 2005
I did some more searching and maybe it's because of the fact that Xcopy has a
256 character limit. Some of those temporary internet files have huge names.
Well, I guess it's going to have to be Robocopy from now on. Thanks for the
help though.

juhehe

      11th May 2005

Joel L. Wrote:
> I did some more searching and maybe it's because of the fact that Xcopy
> has a
> 256 character limit. Some of those temporary internet files have huge
> names.
> Well, I guess it's going to have to be Robocopy from now on. Thanks for
> the
> help though.

I just recently encountered the same problem.

I managed to get away with it (completely in my special case)
with using subst to shorten the path just by little lit, see example if
you need one:
http://users.utu.fi/juhehe/jutut/xcopy.txt

E.g. 171 chars source files copied just fine (you rarely have longer
than 250 chars in full filenames...)

--
juhehe