cimetière

      11th May 2004
Hi!

Quick question.

From what I have seen in a few reviews, it looks like that the X800Pro is
not as fast as I thought! All reviews are saying that the performance is
great, however, I do not see a huge increase in FPS! Am I wrong? It looks
like it can take AA without having performance drop, however, on regular
settings, everything seems average...

--
Daniel
www.dromadaire.com/cimetiere/english

Cuzman

      11th May 2004
"cimetière" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6KUnc.17151$(E-Mail Removed)...

" It looks like it can take AA without having performance drop, however, on
regular settings, everything seems average... "

They could continue to make cards that produce more FPS as a priority, but
after a certain level you just can't tell the difference. Your eyes only
communicate with your brain a certain number of times per second. In my
opinion, focusing on better results with AA and FSAA, they have done the
graphics card market a good service.

cimetière

      11th May 2004
Thanks Cuzman.

Should they improve FSAA, but not FPS, could this lead to performance
problems when future games like DOOM 3 and HL2 will be more hungry in
resources?

--

"cimetière" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:6KUnc.17151$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi!
>
> Quick question.
>
> From what I have seen in a few reviews, it looks like that the X800Pro is
> not as fast as I thought! All reviews are saying that the performance is
> great, however, I do not see a huge increase in FPS! Am I wrong? It

looks
> like it can take AA without having performance drop, however, on regular
> settings, everything seems average...
>
> --
> Daniel
> www.dromadaire.com/cimetiere/english

bp

      11th May 2004
On Mon, 10 May 2004 20:02:20 -0400, "cimetière"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi!
>
>Quick question.
>
>From what I have seen in a few reviews, it looks like that the X800Pro is
>not as fast as I thought! All reviews are saying that the performance is
>great, however, I do not see a huge increase in FPS! Am I wrong? It looks
>like it can take AA without having performance drop, however, on regular
>settings, everything seems average...

Compared to what ?
It looks to me that they all most double my 9800pro with MAX FSAA and
AF turned on.

bp

      11th May 2004
On Mon, 10 May 2004 21:00:55 -0400, "cimetière"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks Cuzman.
>
>Should they improve FSAA, but not FPS, could this lead to performance
>problems when future games like DOOM 3 and HL2 will be more hungry in
>resources?

If you can crank up the FSAA and other goodies , MAX out all game
options and still get the same or better FPS then you have improved
FPS.

Asestar

      11th May 2004
If you compare the 1024*768*32 noAA no AF results of say radeon9700 to
x800pro, difference will not be very huge, reason? At those levels (near
200+fps), a lot of other hardware/software limitations come into play. SO
results are not very dependent on gfx card, rather on whole system.

When enabling AA and AF, gfx has to do extra work. New x800 does that nicely
than say 9800.
Remember gf4ti4800 was sometime faster than fx5700 when not enabling AA, fx
takes lead when AA or AF is enabled, so it's no new trend.

Also, what is benefit of having, say, 310fps @ 1024*768 (x800) VS 230fps (on
9800xt)? You can't notice any difference.
Now having 60+fps @ 1600*1200 8AF 6AA (x800) VS 20fps on 9800 is HUGE
difference. Note these are just example numbers, but reality is somewhat
similiar.

"cimetière" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6KUnc.17151$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi!
>
> Quick question.
>
> From what I have seen in a few reviews, it looks like that the X800Pro is
> not as fast as I thought! All reviews are saying that the performance is
> great, however, I do not see a huge increase in FPS! Am I wrong? It

looks
> like it can take AA without having performance drop, however, on regular
> settings, everything seems average...
>
> --
> Daniel
> www.dromadaire.com/cimetiere/english

Dr Richard Cranium

      11th May 2004
i think with the introduction of the fx-53 64, I am going to figure out a way to overclock
my eyeballs.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...on64-fx53.html

** no fate **

dracman

-=-=-

:
: " It looks like it can take AA without having performance drop, however, on
: regular settings, everything seems average... "
:
:
: They could continue to make cards that produce more FPS as a priority, but
: after a certain level you just can't tell the difference. Your eyes only
: communicate with your brain a certain number of times per second. In my
: opinion, focusing on better results with AA and FSAA, they have done the
: graphics card market a good service.
:
:

McGrandpa

      18th May 2004
Damn. A gigaherts slower and STILL outperforms P4 Extreme. Impressive!
Oh, btw, wondering *IF* about the diffs between the FX5900-128 and
R9800PRO 128 finally got the better of me. I picked up that 9800Pro128
today Got the Cat 4.5's ready to go too.
Won't be too many *IF*'s to wonder about now. And there ain't nobody
in this town got an X800 at all if they did, I'd have it.
McG.