PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

wuaueng.dll high CPU and Disk Usage

 
 
John Gregory
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      5th Feb 2009
I have a laptop, IBM T-60 with Windows XP, SP2 that has been nonresponsive
after startup.

On further investigation, I found that svchost is at 100% CPU, with
wuaueng.dll being the actual culprit. If I let this service continue to run,
it peaks out at around 3.5 to 4 Gb of disk I/O read bytes.

I have tried several of the published fixes for this, stopping the service,
renaming or erasing the folder, etc. but it keeps coming back with the same
problem.

Is there a way to kill this without damaging the system?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ron Badour
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      5th Feb 2009
Go to the Control Panel, Automatic Updates and try turning it off. If this
cures the problem, then turn it back on to see if the problem returns. If
it does, then go with manual versus automatic updates.

--
Regards

Ron Badour
MS MVP
Windows Desktop Experience


"John Gregory" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a laptop, IBM T-60 with Windows XP, SP2 that has been nonresponsive
> after startup.
>
> On further investigation, I found that svchost is at 100% CPU, with
> wuaueng.dll being the actual culprit. If I let this service continue to
> run,
> it peaks out at around 3.5 to 4 Gb of disk I/O read bytes.
>
> I have tried several of the published fixes for this, stopping the
> service,
> renaming or erasing the folder, etc. but it keeps coming back with the
> same
> problem.
>
> Is there a way to kill this without damaging the system?



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John Gregory
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      5th Feb 2009
It took a while to sort out, the Automatic Update menu was greyed out, and I
had to find the correct registry keys to fix.

Disabling the AU seems to be working, the computer started up and ran
normally.

Thank you for your help.

"Ron Badour" wrote:

> Go to the Control Panel, Automatic Updates and try turning it off. If this
> cures the problem, then turn it back on to see if the problem returns. If
> it does, then go with manual versus automatic updates.
>
> --
> Regards
>
> Ron Badour
> MS MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience
>
>
> "John Gregory" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have a laptop, IBM T-60 with Windows XP, SP2 that has been nonresponsive
> > after startup.
> >
> > On further investigation, I found that svchost is at 100% CPU, with
> > wuaueng.dll being the actual culprit. If I let this service continue to
> > run,
> > it peaks out at around 3.5 to 4 Gb of disk I/O read bytes.
> >
> > I have tried several of the published fixes for this, stopping the
> > service,
> > renaming or erasing the folder, etc. but it keeps coming back with the
> > same
> > problem.
> >
> > Is there a way to kill this without damaging the system?

>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
MowGreen [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      5th Feb 2009
Locate wuaueng.dll in %windir%\system32, right click it, choose
Properties, click the Version tab.
Which V. is it, John ?
The latest one is V. 7.2.6001.788

Is a 3rd party firewall being used ? If so, the high CPU issue *may* be
occurring due to the firewall blocking the Windows Update Agent [WUA]
from contacting the update servers, thus, diabling AU will resolve the
CPU issue, but not be needed to resolve this issue.

AFAIK, high CPU issues associated with the WUA were *never* caused by
wuaueng.dll, rather, the issue was caused by thread modeling involving
the WUA and msi.dll - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927891/

" The updated Windows Client changes the thread modeling to move MSI
scans to a thread that is separate from the user interface. "


MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============



John Gregory wrote:

> It took a while to sort out, the Automatic Update menu was greyed out, and I
> had to find the correct registry keys to fix.
>
> Disabling the AU seems to be working, the computer started up and ran
> normally.
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> "Ron Badour" wrote:
>
>
>>Go to the Control Panel, Automatic Updates and try turning it off. If this
>>cures the problem, then turn it back on to see if the problem returns. If
>>it does, then go with manual versus automatic updates.
>>
>>--
>>Regards
>>
>>Ron Badour
>>MS MVP
>>Windows Desktop Experience
>>
>>
>>"John Gregory" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>I have a laptop, IBM T-60 with Windows XP, SP2 that has been nonresponsive
>>>after startup.
>>>
>>>On further investigation, I found that svchost is at 100% CPU, with
>>>wuaueng.dll being the actual culprit. If I let this service continue to
>>>run,
>>>it peaks out at around 3.5 to 4 Gb of disk I/O read bytes.
>>>
>>>I have tried several of the published fixes for this, stopping the
>>>service,
>>>renaming or erasing the folder, etc. but it keeps coming back with the
>>>same
>>>problem.
>>>
>>>Is there a way to kill this without damaging the system?

>>
>>
>>

 
Reply With Quote
 
John Gregory
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      6th Feb 2009
The wuaueng.dll version is 7.1.6001.65

Turning off windows update does solve the immediate issue of high CPU usage.
To experiment, I tried various settings (notify... download...etc.), and
with every one except disable, the problem occurs.

Our IT group recently installed a new firewall with semi-disastrous results,
however they seem to have it under control now. I have not been able to find
anyone else who seems to be having this issue, and we all share the same
connection and firewall.

The article you mentioned shows WAU 3.0 update. Is this a newer version
than what I already have? How do I find out?


"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Locate wuaueng.dll in %windir%\system32, right click it, choose
> Properties, click the Version tab.
> Which V. is it, John ?
> The latest one is V. 7.2.6001.788
>
> Is a 3rd party firewall being used ? If so, the high CPU issue *may* be
> occurring due to the firewall blocking the Windows Update Agent [WUA]
> from contacting the update servers, thus, diabling AU will resolve the
> CPU issue, but not be needed to resolve this issue.
>
> AFAIK, high CPU issues associated with the WUA were *never* caused by
> wuaueng.dll, rather, the issue was caused by thread modeling involving
> the WUA and msi.dll - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927891/
>
> " The updated Windows Client changes the thread modeling to move MSI
> scans to a thread that is separate from the user interface. "
>
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>
>
>
> John Gregory wrote:
>
> > It took a while to sort out, the Automatic Update menu was greyed out, and I
> > had to find the correct registry keys to fix.
> >
> > Disabling the AU seems to be working, the computer started up and ran
> > normally.
> >
> > Thank you for your help.
> >
> > "Ron Badour" wrote:
> >
> >
> >>Go to the Control Panel, Automatic Updates and try turning it off. If this
> >>cures the problem, then turn it back on to see if the problem returns. If
> >>it does, then go with manual versus automatic updates.
> >>
> >>--
> >>Regards
> >>
> >>Ron Badour
> >>MS MVP
> >>Windows Desktop Experience
> >>
> >>
> >>"John Gregory" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>
> >>>I have a laptop, IBM T-60 with Windows XP, SP2 that has been nonresponsive
> >>>after startup.
> >>>
> >>>On further investigation, I found that svchost is at 100% CPU, with
> >>>wuaueng.dll being the actual culprit. If I let this service continue to
> >>>run,
> >>>it peaks out at around 3.5 to 4 Gb of disk I/O read bytes.
> >>>
> >>>I have tried several of the published fixes for this, stopping the
> >>>service,
> >>>renaming or erasing the folder, etc. but it keeps coming back with the
> >>>same
> >>>problem.
> >>>
> >>>Is there a way to kill this without damaging the system?
> >>
> >>
> >>

>

 
Reply With Quote
 
MowGreen [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      7th Feb 2009
> The article you mentioned shows WAU 3.0 update. Is this a newer version
> than what I already have? How do I find out?


It's WUA and yes, it is a later Version then the one installed on your
system. Check the Versions of these files located in WINDOWS\system 32

cdm.dll
wuapi.dll
wuauclt.exe
wuauserv.dll
wucltui.dll
wups2.dll
wups.dll
wusetup.exe
wuweb.dll

They should all show V. 7.2.6001.788 to be at the latest version. If
they are not, suggest you use the links in the KB article to obtain the
latest and greatest.
Stop the Windows Update service prior to installing it.
If BITS is enabled on Startup, then stop that, too.
Even then, you may need to add /wuforce to override the files now
installed -
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...php?m=9&y=2007

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============



John Gregory wrote:

> The wuaueng.dll version is 7.1.6001.65
>
> Turning off windows update does solve the immediate issue of high CPU usage.
> To experiment, I tried various settings (notify... download...etc.), and
> with every one except disable, the problem occurs.
>
> Our IT group recently installed a new firewall with semi-disastrous results,
> however they seem to have it under control now. I have not been able to find
> anyone else who seems to be having this issue, and we all share the same
> connection and firewall.
>
> The article you mentioned shows WAU 3.0 update. Is this a newer version
> than what I already have? How do I find out?
>
>
> "MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:
>
>
>>Locate wuaueng.dll in %windir%\system32, right click it, choose
>>Properties, click the Version tab.
>>Which V. is it, John ?
>>The latest one is V. 7.2.6001.788
>>
>>Is a 3rd party firewall being used ? If so, the high CPU issue *may* be
>>occurring due to the firewall blocking the Windows Update Agent [WUA]
>>from contacting the update servers, thus, diabling AU will resolve the
>>CPU issue, but not be needed to resolve this issue.
>>
>>AFAIK, high CPU issues associated with the WUA were *never* caused by
>>wuaueng.dll, rather, the issue was caused by thread modeling involving
>>the WUA and msi.dll - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927891/
>>
>>" The updated Windows Client changes the thread modeling to move MSI
>>scans to a thread that is separate from the user interface. "
>>
>>
>>MowGreen [MVP 2003-2009]
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============
>>
>>
>>
>>John Gregory wrote:
>>
>>
>>>It took a while to sort out, the Automatic Update menu was greyed out, and I
>>>had to find the correct registry keys to fix.
>>>
>>>Disabling the AU seems to be working, the computer started up and ran
>>>normally.
>>>
>>>Thank you for your help.
>>>
>>>"Ron Badour" wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>Go to the Control Panel, Automatic Updates and try turning it off. If this
>>>>cures the problem, then turn it back on to see if the problem returns. If
>>>>it does, then go with manual versus automatic updates.
>>>>
>>>>--
>>>>Regards
>>>>
>>>>Ron Badour
>>>>MS MVP
>>>>Windows Desktop Experience
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>"John Gregory" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>I have a laptop, IBM T-60 with Windows XP, SP2 that has been nonresponsive
>>>>>after startup.
>>>>>
>>>>>On further investigation, I found that svchost is at 100% CPU, with
>>>>>wuaueng.dll being the actual culprit. If I let this service continue to
>>>>>run,
>>>>>it peaks out at around 3.5 to 4 Gb of disk I/O read bytes.
>>>>>
>>>>>I have tried several of the published fixes for this, stopping the
>>>>>service,
>>>>>renaming or erasing the folder, etc. but it keeps coming back with the
>>>>>same
>>>>>problem.
>>>>>
>>>>>Is there a way to kill this without damaging the system?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Services running high and CPU usage high Johncobb Microsoft Windows 2000 7 3rd May 2008 11:57 PM
High CPU Usage but No High Program Usage other than Idle takomamark@gmail.com Windows XP Help 8 18th Apr 2007 11:26 AM
Re: spoolsv.exe High CPU and High Mem Usage Joliboy Windows XP Performance 1 7th Oct 2006 06:11 AM
Is my CPU too slow? High CPU Usage Mark Windows XP Performance 1 13th Jul 2006 11:59 AM
High CPU usage in services.exe and high Page file size =?Utf-8?B?bGFzc28=?= Windows XP General 6 15th Dec 2005 04:32 PM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:46 AM.