WTD: HP 4670 "See Thru" Scanner

Terry Smythe

      16th May 2008
Wanted:

Looking for an HP 4670 "See Thru" scanner to replace one that just died.

Regards,

Terry Smythe
(E-Mail Removed)

CSM1

      17th May 2008
"Terry Smythe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Wanted:
>
> Looking for an HP 4670 "See Thru" scanner to replace one that just died.
>
> Regards,
>
> Terry Smythe
> (E-Mail Removed)

Try Ebay:
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...70+&category0=

Don't buy a dead one.
If it is $0.99 it is bound to be dead.
--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Brendan R. Wehrung

      17th May 2008
"CSM1" ((E-Mail Removed)) writes:
> "Terry Smythe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Wanted:
>>
>> Looking for an HP 4670 "See Thru" scanner to replace one that just died.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Terry Smythe
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>

> Try Ebay:
> http://search.ebay.com/search/search...70+&category0=
>
> Don't buy a dead one.
> If it is $0.99 it is bound to be dead.
> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> --

CSI Miami still uses them. Maybe they have a stash.

Brendan

DevilsPGD

      20th May 2008
In message <FYrXj.1349$(E-Mail Removed)> "CSM1"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Don't buy a dead one.
>If it is $0.99 it is bound to be dead.

That may well not be the case -- I haven't looked into this particular
item, but if you know your item has a high likelihood of selling for
$130+ why not start the price lower and save money on the insertion
fees, plus attract a bit more attention to your auction in the process?

CSM1

      20th May 2008
"DevilsPGD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <FYrXj.1349$(E-Mail Removed)> "CSM1"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Don't buy a dead one.
>>If it is $0.99 it is bound to be dead.

> That may well not be the case -- I haven't looked into this particular
> item, but if you know your item has a high likelihood of selling for
> $130+ why not start the price lower and save money on the insertion
> fees, plus attract a bit more attention to your auction in the process?

What if the only bids you get are less than the actual value of the scanner,
are you going to sell it for much less money than it is worth.

I sure would not put the starting bid at less than I was willing to take for
the item.

At $0.99 for a item that is worth $100, would scare me away. I strongly
suspect the item is a carcass.

If you want to buy a dead scanner, I have Minolta Scan Dual IV to sell. I
sold the film holders.
I will not take $0.99 for it!

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

DevilsPGD

      21st May 2008
In message <xiBYj.62$(E-Mail Removed)> "CSM1"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"DevilsPGD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In message <FYrXj.1349$(E-Mail Removed)> "CSM1"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Don't buy a dead one.
>>>If it is $0.99 it is bound to be dead.

>> That may well not be the case -- I haven't looked into this particular
>> item, but if you know your item has a high likelihood of selling for
>> $130+ why not start the price lower and save money on the insertion
>> fees, plus attract a bit more attention to your auction in the process?

>What if the only bids you get are less than the actual value of the scanner,
>are you going to sell it for much less money than it is worth.

That's part of the gamble of an auction. Obviously eBay is more then
pure auctions these days, but I still approach eBay from an auction
standpoint.

In my years of experience on eBay as a buyer, if I'm buying an item
where there is an established minimum sell point (as there appears to be
for this scanner), I hunt for the ones with higher start prices as they
tend to finish lower, on average.

>I sure would not put the starting bid at less than I was willing to take for
>the item.

I would, have before, and will again -- I haven't yet gotten less then
I'd have set my initial price (or reserve). As an added bonus, the
insertion fees are much lower.

However, I research obsessively before I post anything for sale. I know

>At $0.99 for a item that is worth $100, would scare me away. I strongly
>suspect the item is a carcass.

Anywhere but auction, I'd agree -- It's about knowing your market.

Having spent many years watching for deals on eBay, as a seller, I'd
definitely start low *if* the history shows similar/identical items have
a reasonable number of bidders, and you're willing to accept the lowest
going rate price.

However, if not all items sell, or there is a wide variation in price
without an explanation, then definitely set a reasonable minimum or a
reserve.

As a buyer, I don't care about the start price, just the final cost
(that includes shipping) and the details which impact the item's
insurability.