what would cause a program not to open?

=?Utf-8?B?bGV3aXNnbGVubg==?=

      5th Jan 2006
i recently installed Rosetta Stone language software on my PC, and when i try
to run the program, the hourglass appears, the CD drive spins up and the logo
screen for the program appears, but then it stops and the program never
opens. i know the problem is on this particular PC, because i installed it
and it ran fine on my other machine.

Their tech support suggested making sure my firewall was not blocking
access, that i was logged on as the admin, and to try changing the
compatibilty (to windows 98 or some other setting).

None of these things worked... why would my computer not open the program?

FYI, if i attempt to open the program literally dozens of times, it will
sometimes eventually open, IF IT DOES, it will run fine.

Chas

      5th Jan 2006

"lewisglenn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>i recently installed Rosetta Stone language software on my PC, and when i
>try
> to run the program, the hourglass appears, the CD drive spins up and the
> logo
> screen for the program appears, but then it stops and the program never
> opens. i know the problem is on this particular PC, because i installed it
> and it ran fine on my other machine.
>
> Their tech support suggested making sure my firewall was not blocking
> access, that i was logged on as the admin, and to try changing the
> compatibilty (to windows 98 or some other setting).
>
> None of these things worked... why would my computer not open the program?
>
> FYI, if i attempt to open the program literally dozens of times, it will
> sometimes eventually open, IF IT DOES, it will run fine.

Hi
Faulty CD Drive?
Maybe the laser just need's cleaning
Chas