workstation service missing

=?Utf-8?B?YmVhbWlzaA==?=

      6th Apr 2006
Hello, Trying to setup peer to peer network. Crossover connection ok, but
cannot transfer files.
Found that "workstation service" is missing from unit 2.
Used Google and found same type of problem which gave me the following
registry information.
Looked in the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - SYSTEM - CurrentControlset -
Services) and" Lanmanworkstation" was empty and had only one sub folder
"Parameters" which had two registry entries missing. The other missing
subfolders are: Enum, Linkage, NetworkProvider and Security. I checked this
with unit 1, both have the same OS, WindowsXP Home SP2 all security updates.
Made a registry copy(from unit 1) of "Lanmanworkstation" and installed it in
unit 2.
Checked the services and "workstation" was now listed. Set it to Auto and
clicked start, received a message that "workstation" could not start.
Removed the registry entries.
Thought I would try the above before asking for assistance.
The unit works, so far this seems to be the only problem.
This is a upgrade install (about 10 days ago) from Windows98se, no problems
with installing the upgrade.
How can I remedy this problem?
Thank You.
take care.
beamish.

=?Utf-8?B?SmVhbiBCb3VyYXNzYQ==?=

      6th Apr 2006
Check the bindings for the network adapter see if "file and printer sharing"
is installed.

"beamish" wrote:

> Hello, Trying to setup peer to peer network. Crossover connection ok, but
> cannot transfer files.
> Found that "workstation service" is missing from unit 2.
> Used Google and found same type of problem which gave me the following
> registry information.
> Looked in the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - SYSTEM - CurrentControlset -
> Services) and" Lanmanworkstation" was empty and had only one sub folder
> "Parameters" which had two registry entries missing. The other missing
> subfolders are: Enum, Linkage, NetworkProvider and Security. I checked this
> with unit 1, both have the same OS, WindowsXP Home SP2 all security updates.
> Made a registry copy(from unit 1) of "Lanmanworkstation" and installed it in
> unit 2.
> Checked the services and "workstation" was now listed. Set it to Auto and
> clicked start, received a message that "workstation" could not start.
> Removed the registry entries.
> Thought I would try the above before asking for assistance.
> The unit works, so far this seems to be the only problem.
> This is a upgrade install (about 10 days ago) from Windows98se, no problems
> with installing the upgrade.
> How can I remedy this problem?
> Thank You.
> take care.
> beamish.

Wesley Vogel

      7th Apr 2006
The Client for Microsoft Networks component is actually the Workstation
service.

To see the Workstation service listed in Services...

Network Connections | Right click: Your Connection | Properties | General
tab | Install button | Highlight: Client | Add button | Highlight: Client
for Microsoft Networks | Click OK | Close

Removing Client for Microsoft Networks Removes Other Services

Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
beamish <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:
> Hello, Trying to setup peer to peer network. Crossover connection ok, but
> cannot transfer files.
> Found that "workstation service" is missing from unit 2.
> Used Google and found same type of problem which gave me the following
> registry information.
> Looked in the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - SYSTEM - CurrentControlset -
> Services) and" Lanmanworkstation" was empty and had only one sub folder
> "Parameters" which had two registry entries missing. The other missing
> subfolders are: Enum, Linkage, NetworkProvider and Security. I checked
> this with unit 1, both have the same OS, WindowsXP Home SP2 all security
> updates. Made a registry copy(from unit 1) of "Lanmanworkstation" and
> installed it in unit 2.
> Checked the services and "workstation" was now listed. Set it to Auto and
> clicked start, received a message that "workstation" could not start.
> Removed the registry entries.
> Thought I would try the above before asking for assistance.
> The unit works, so far this seems to be the only problem.
> This is a upgrade install (about 10 days ago) from Windows98se, no
> problems with installing the upgrade.
> How can I remedy this problem?
> Thank You.
> take care.
> beamish.

=?Utf-8?B?YmVhbWlzaA==?=

      7th Apr 2006
Hello, Thank You for your reply.
File and Print Sharing and Internet Protocol, are checked.
What is totally missing ( not there) are, Client for Microsoft Networks and
QoS Packet Scheduler.
take care
beamish

"Jean Bourassa" wrote:

> Check the bindings for the network adapter see if "file and printer sharing"
> is installed.
>
> "beamish" wrote:
>
> > Hello, Trying to setup peer to peer network. Crossover connection ok, but
> > cannot transfer files.
> > Found that "workstation service" is missing from unit 2.
> > Used Google and found same type of problem which gave me the following
> > registry information.
> > Looked in the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - SYSTEM - CurrentControlset -
> > Services) and" Lanmanworkstation" was empty and had only one sub folder
> > "Parameters" which had two registry entries missing. The other missing
> > subfolders are: Enum, Linkage, NetworkProvider and Security. I checked this
> > with unit 1, both have the same OS, WindowsXP Home SP2 all security updates.
> > Made a registry copy(from unit 1) of "Lanmanworkstation" and installed it in
> > unit 2.
> > Checked the services and "workstation" was now listed. Set it to Auto and
> > clicked start, received a message that "workstation" could not start.
> > Removed the registry entries.
> > Thought I would try the above before asking for assistance.
> > The unit works, so far this seems to be the only problem.
> > This is a upgrade install (about 10 days ago) from Windows98se, no problems
> > with installing the upgrade.
> > How can I remedy this problem?
> > Thank You.
> > take care.
> > beamish.

=?Utf-8?B?YmVhbWlzaA==?=

      7th Apr 2006
Hello, "Client" is missing. As stated in second post: Client for Microsoft
Networks and QoS Packet Scheduler are not listed. There are only two items
listed, File and Print Sharing and Internet Protocol.
How do I add Client and QoS to the list?
take care
beamish

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> The Client for Microsoft Networks component is actually the Workstation
> service.
>
> To see the Workstation service listed in Services...
>
> Network Connections | Right click: Your Connection | Properties | General
> tab | Install button | Highlight: Client | Add button | Highlight: Client
> for Microsoft Networks | Click OK | Close
>
> Removing Client for Microsoft Networks Removes Other Services

> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> beamish <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:
> > Hello, Trying to setup peer to peer network. Crossover connection ok, but
> > cannot transfer files.
> > Found that "workstation service" is missing from unit 2.
> > Used Google and found same type of problem which gave me the following
> > registry information.
> > Looked in the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - SYSTEM - CurrentControlset -
> > Services) and" Lanmanworkstation" was empty and had only one sub folder
> > "Parameters" which had two registry entries missing. The other missing
> > subfolders are: Enum, Linkage, NetworkProvider and Security. I checked
> > this with unit 1, both have the same OS, WindowsXP Home SP2 all security
> > updates. Made a registry copy(from unit 1) of "Lanmanworkstation" and
> > installed it in unit 2.
> > Checked the services and "workstation" was now listed. Set it to Auto and
> > clicked start, received a message that "workstation" could not start.
> > Removed the registry entries.
> > Thought I would try the above before asking for assistance.
> > The unit works, so far this seems to be the only problem.
> > This is a upgrade install (about 10 days ago) from Windows98se, no
> > problems with installing the upgrade.
> > How can I remedy this problem?
> > Thank You.
> > take care.
> > beamish.

=?Utf-8?B?YmVhbWlzaA==?=

      7th Apr 2006
Hello, Thank You for your reply.
I merged the registry file (lanmanworkstation) from unit 1.
Then followed your information and "workstation" is now in "Services" and
set to auto and this time it started. This part of the problem is gone
"Thanks" to your information.
Will now attempt to share folders.
take care
beamish

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> The Client for Microsoft Networks component is actually the Workstation
> service.
>
> To see the Workstation service listed in Services...
>
> Network Connections | Right click: Your Connection | Properties | General
> tab | Install button | Highlight: Client | Add button | Highlight: Client
> for Microsoft Networks | Click OK | Close
>
> Removing Client for Microsoft Networks Removes Other Services

> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> beamish <(E-Mail Removed)> hunted and pecked:
> > Hello, Trying to setup peer to peer network. Crossover connection ok, but
> > cannot transfer files.
> > Found that "workstation service" is missing from unit 2.
> > Used Google and found same type of problem which gave me the following
> > registry information.
> > Looked in the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - SYSTEM - CurrentControlset -
> > Services) and" Lanmanworkstation" was empty and had only one sub folder
> > "Parameters" which had two registry entries missing. The other missing
> > subfolders are: Enum, Linkage, NetworkProvider and Security. I checked
> > this with unit 1, both have the same OS, WindowsXP Home SP2 all security
> > updates. Made a registry copy(from unit 1) of "Lanmanworkstation" and
> > installed it in unit 2.
> > Checked the services and "workstation" was now listed. Set it to Auto and
> > clicked start, received a message that "workstation" could not start.
> > Removed the registry entries.
> > Thought I would try the above before asking for assistance.
> > The unit works, so far this seems to be the only problem.
> > This is a upgrade install (about 10 days ago) from Windows98se, no
> > problems with installing the upgrade.
> > How can I remedy this problem?
> > Thank You.
> > take care.
> > beamish.

=?Utf-8?B?YmVhbWlzaA==?=

      7th Apr 2006
Hello, When I click on the "Mshome icon" (My Network Places - Entire Network
- Microsoft Windows Network - Mshome). I receive the following message:
"Mshome is not accessible."
"You might not have permission to use this network resource."
"Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access
permission."
"The list of servers for this workgroup isnot currently available."
How do I overcome this impediment?
take care
beamish