Wordpad Extensions

Ed Xiques

      17th Sep 2003
When I try to "Save as" a file as a text document in
Wordpad and change the file extension, it does not change
the extension, but rather appends "txt" to end of the
existing filename. For example, if you attempt to
save "file.txt" to "file.nc," the file
becomes "file.nc.txt."

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks,
Ed

T.C.

      17th Sep 2003
Wordpad is a VERY basic word processor, with few options. If you want to
save the file as a text document, and then change the extension: File/Save
As/ Save as Type: Text Document. After the file is saved, open either My
Computer or Windows Explorer, navigate to the saved file, right click it,
left click Rename, and change the extension. You'll get the usual dialog
box notifying that changing a file extension may make the file unusable. Be
sure that whatever program you have associated with the .nc extension is
capable of reading text documents.
--
T.C.
Pay it forward...

"Ed Xiques" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:66ab01c37d60$b1071670$(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I try to "Save as" a file as a text document in
> Wordpad and change the file extension, it does not change
> the extension, but rather appends "txt" to end of the
> existing filename. For example, if you attempt to
> save "file.txt" to "file.nc," the file
> becomes "file.nc.txt."
>
> Does anyone know how to fix this?
>
> Thanks,
> Ed

---

Jim Macklin

      18th Sep 2003
Did a little test, Notepad will let you save as .nc as long
as you select "all files" on the drop down file type.
Maybe you can find free text editors on-line that may allow
you to set .nc as default.

"Ed Xiques" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:062701c37de0$495a3220$(E-Mail Removed)...
| I understand that it's a basic word processing program,
| and I know how to rename it after the fact. The problem
| is that we are editing code for one of our punching
| machines, and it can only read a file with a ".nc"
| extension. We update numerous files a day and to have to
| rename after the fact is a real pain.
| The office over has the same version of XP on it and
| wordpad let's us save-as with the ".nc" only (it doesn't
| add ".txt").
| I thought it may be an entry in the registry that is
| different, but I can't seem to find it.
| Any suggestions?
| Thanks,
| Ed

Alex Nichol

      18th Sep 2003
Ed Xiques wrote:

>When I try to "Save as" a file as a text document in
>Wordpad and change the file extension, it does not change
>the extension, but rather appends "txt" to end of the
>existing filename. For example, if you attempt to
>save "file.txt" to "file.nc," the file
>becomes "file.nc.txt."

If you wrap it in quotes, just as you did in illustrating it here, the
..txt will not be added

Bournemouth, U.K. (E-Mail Removed)