Word Footer alignment becomes distorted on page 2 and beyond

Stefan Blom

      4th Sep 2009
Not if the "margin" problem is with the footer only. I'm guessing
indentation is the problem (see my other reply).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"JCarr22" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Could this be a margin issue? I noticed that the page 1 footer has
> different
> margin settings than any subsequent footers. As I said, this is a 1 page
> doc, but often it is lengtened to force 2 or more pages (footers). I
> changed
> the page 1 footer to apply margins to "whole doc" and "this point forward"
> but the page 2 footer still was created with different margins.
>
> "JCarr22" wrote:
>

>> "JCarr22" wrote:
>>
>> > I think that I have done what you suggested...I placed a page break in
>> > the 1
>> > page doc...thus forcing the 2nd page. The footer on the 2nd page then
>> > shows
>> > -- 'footer -section 2'. That is the footer that has its alignment all
>> > jumbled up. --- I thought it might have to do with margins on the
>> > 1st page footer vs any following page footer margins...however, I tried
>> > changing the 1st page margin to apply to "whole doc", and apply to
>> > "this point forward", but the distortion still happens when a page 2 is
>> > forced. I have noticed that the margin are different on the first
>> > footer vs the 2nd. Any thoughts from here? Thanks!

JCarr22

      4th Sep 2009

Thanks for all the help...I was probably not real clear in the description,
but ended up getting the problem fixed by using a page insert to adjust the
footer margins on tthe 2nd page footer...saving the doc...then opening the
doc back up and deleting the page insert and saving it again as a 1 page doc.
Now when a page 2 is forced it uses the new margin settings for the footer
on page 2. Thanks again!

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

> To clarify: linking the footers means that they will have the same contents,
> not only the same formatting.
>
> --
> Stefan Blom
> Microsoft Word MVP
>

> "Stefan Blom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > This is not about margins; it's about the footer contents. It might be
> > that the footer has a negative indent applied, so that text runs into the
> > margin. After you have fixed the formatting, just delete the temporary
> > page break.
> >
> > If you don't see how to fix the section 2 footer, link it back to the
> > corresponding footer of the previous section: Click the Same as Previous
> > (or Link to Previous) button on the Header and Footer toolbar (Word
> > 97-2003). If you are using Word 2007, click Link to Previous on the Header
> > & Footer Tools Design tab. When you are done, delete the temporary page
> > break.
> >
> > --
> > Stefan Blom
> > Microsoft Word MVP
> >

> > "JCarr22" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Stefan Blom

      5th Sep 2009
Clarification:

I'm referring to left and right margins here, which the footer (and header)
share with the page (or actually with the section).

Footers do have a bottom margin and headers have a top margin, as determined
by the "From edge" option in the Page Setup dialog box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Not if the "margin" problem is with the footer only. I'm guessing
> indentation is the problem (see my other reply).
>
> --
> Stefan Blom
> Microsoft Word MVP
>

> "JCarr22" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Could this be a margin issue? I noticed that the page 1 footer has
>> different
>> margin settings than any subsequent footers. As I said, this is a 1 page
>> doc, but often it is lengtened to force 2 or more pages (footers). I
>> changed
>> the page 1 footer to apply margins to "whole doc" and "this point
>> forward"
>> but the page 2 footer still was created with different margins.

Stefan Blom

      5th Sep 2009
It's not clear which settings you actually changed, but I'm glad that you
got it sorted.