Word could not create the work file....temp environment

=?Utf-8?B?R2Vycnk=?=

      7th Jul 2005
I am getting this error when I load a file in Word 2000.

"Word could not create the work file. Check the temp environment variable."

Running on Win 2000 Pro.

Tried everything I could find on the MS site - nothing works.

Help!

Thanks

Margaret Aldis

      7th Jul 2005
You need to get rid of the lock files. See here:

http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Gerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am getting this error when I load a file in Word 2000.
>
> "Word could not create the work file. Check the temp environment
> variable."
>
> Running on Win 2000 Pro.
>
> Tried everything I could find on the MS site - nothing works.
>
> Help!
>
> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?R2Vycnk=?=

      7th Jul 2005
Nope Didn't work either!

"Margaret Aldis" wrote:

> You need to get rid of the lock files. See here:
>
> http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm
>
> --
> Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP
> Syntagma partnership site: http://www.syntagma.co.uk
> Word MVP FAQ site: http://www.word.mvps.org
>
> "Gerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I am getting this error when I load a file in Word 2000.
> >
> > "Word could not create the work file. Check the temp environment
> > variable."
> >
> > Running on Win 2000 Pro.
> >
> > Tried everything I could find on the MS site - nothing works.
> >
> > Help!
> >
> > Thanks

Margaret Aldis

      7th Jul 2005
Sorry, I think I completely misread your message - can't think now why I
thought it was anything to do with lock files!

I see Beth Melton has answered a similar question thus:

You need to check your "Environment Variables" on the Advanced tab in System
Properties. It sounds like the Temp folder is either invalid or it points to
folder you don't have sufficient permissions for.

Does this help?

Is this happening on every file, or one specific file?

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Gerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nope Didn't work either!
>
> "Margaret Aldis" wrote:
>
>> You need to get rid of the lock files. See here:
>>
>> http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm
>>
>> --
>> Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP
>> Syntagma partnership site: http://www.syntagma.co.uk
>> Word MVP FAQ site: http://www.word.mvps.org
>>
>> "Gerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I am getting this error when I load a file in Word 2000.
>> >
>> > "Word could not create the work file. Check the temp environment
>> > variable."
>> >
>> > Running on Win 2000 Pro.
>> >
>> > Tried everything I could find on the MS site - nothing works.
>> >
>> > Help!
>> >
>> > Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?R2Vycnk=?=

      7th Jul 2005
It happens on more than one file. All on a network drive (Does the same if
the files are copied to the local drive).

As for the environment variables (same error happens even when logged in as
administrator). I also changed to a directory EVERYONE has access to and
still the error.

"Margaret Aldis" wrote:

> Sorry, I think I completely misread your message - can't think now why I
> thought it was anything to do with lock files!
>
> I see Beth Melton has answered a similar question thus:
>
> You need to check your "Environment Variables" on the Advanced tab in System
> Properties. It sounds like the Temp folder is either invalid or it points to
> folder you don't have sufficient permissions for.
>
> Does this help?
>
> Is this happening on every file, or one specific file?
>
> --
> Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP
> Syntagma partnership site: http://www.syntagma.co.uk
> Word MVP FAQ site: http://www.word.mvps.org
>

> "Gerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Nope Didn't work either!
> >
> > "Margaret Aldis" wrote:
> >
> >> You need to get rid of the lock files. See here:
> >>
> >> http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm
> >>
> >> --
> >> Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP
> >> Syntagma partnership site: http://www.syntagma.co.uk
> >> Word MVP FAQ site: http://www.word.mvps.org
> >>
> >> "Gerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

garfield-n-odie

      8th Jul 2005
See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302629 "WD2000: 'Word
Cannot Create the Work File' Error Message When You Open a File".
But instead of deleting the Normal.dot file, it would be better
to rename it to Normal.old or Normal.temp or something else; this
will allow you to copy macros, toolbars, formatted autocorrect
entries, etc., from the old Normal.dot to the new Normal.dot.

Gerry wrote:

> I am getting this error when I load a file in Word 2000.
>
> "Word could not create the work file. Check the temp environment variable."
>
> Running on Win 2000 Pro.
>
> Tried everything I could find on the MS site - nothing works.
>
> Help!
>
> Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?R2Vycnk=?=

      8th Jul 2005