Word 2007 Skips Lines When Printing Labels

JimG

      25th Jan 2010
Hi:

In Word 2007 when creating labels, the document will leave blank lines if
there is no information for a field for the recipient. For example, I have a
field called "Company" for the recipient's company name, but if the person
didn't give me a company name for that field for their mailing information,
the line then shows as a blank space on their mailing label. But in Word 2002
this didn't happen to me and the software just moved the next line in the
person's address information up one line, so that there was no blank line in
the recipient's mailing information at all.

Is there any way that I can change this feature in Word 2007 so that it
works the same way as it did for me back in Word 2002?

Thanks.

Jim

Graham Mayor

      25th Jan 2010

While you can still use the old mail merge helper which has the option to
suppress blank lines. The simplest method is to not use the address block
field and to conditionally insert fields which may be empty and the
preceding line break on the line above eg

{Mailmerge Name}{If {Mailmerge Company} <> "" "
{Mailmerge Company}"}
{Mailmerge Address1}

See http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm
--
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

"JimG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi:
>
> In Word 2007 when creating labels, the document will leave blank lines if
> there is no information for a field for the recipient. For example, I have
> field called "Company" for the recipient's company name, but if the person
> didn't give me a company name for that field for their mailing
> information,
> the line then shows as a blank space on their mailing label. But in Word
> 2002
> this didn't happen to me and the software just moved the next line in the
> person's address information up one line, so that there was no blank line
> in
> the recipient's mailing information at all.
>
> Is there any way that I can change this feature in Word 2007 so that it
> works the same way as it did for me back in Word 2002?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jim

JimG

      29th Jan 2010
Graham:

Thanks for your answer. What do the three quotation marks mean in the
following that you wrote?:

{Mailmerge Name}{If {Mailmerge Company} <> "" "

Thanks again.

Jim

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

> While you can still use the old mail merge helper which has the option to
> suppress blank lines. The simplest method is to not use the address block
> field and to conditionally insert fields which may be empty and the
> preceding line break on the line above eg
>
> {Mailmerge Name}{If {Mailmerge Company} <> "" "
> {Mailmerge Company}"}
> {Mailmerge Address1}
>
> See http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm
> --
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
> Graham Mayor - Word MVP
>
> My web site www.gmayor.com
> Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
>

> "JimG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi:
> >
> > In Word 2007 when creating labels, the document will leave blank lines if
> > there is no information for a field for the recipient. For example, I have
> > field called "Company" for the recipient's company name, but if the person
> > didn't give me a company name for that field for their mailing
> > information,
> > the line then shows as a blank space on their mailing label. But in Word
> > 2002
> > this didn't happen to me and the software just moved the next line in the
> > person's address information up one line, so that there was no blank line
> > in
> > the recipient's mailing information at all.
> >
> > Is there any way that I can change this feature in Word 2007 so that it
> > works the same way as it did for me back in Word 2002?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Jim

> .

Graham Mayor

      29th Jan 2010
The fiirst pair signifies an empty string i.e. if mergefield company is not
equal to nothing. (<> "")

The second quote signifies the start of the result to enter when the
condition is met and is followed by pressing enter, thus the line break is
part of the result. The closing quote which marks the end of the result is
after {Mergefield Company}. When you enter this you use CTRL+F9 for the
brackets {} and press the enter key only at