Word 2003 will not open folders to access or save files

=?Utf-8?B?dGs=?=

      24th Apr 2006
When I try to save or access a file in a folder, the OPEN window says not
responding and if you close the open window it completely closes word. I can
access files from My Documents in the start window.

Charles Kenyon

      24th Apr 2006
See: You may experience problems in Windows Explorer or in the Windows shell
after you install security update MS06-015
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=918165

If you aren't comfortable with editing the Windows registry yourself, then
go to http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to Item
No. 383 "Hewlett-Packard's Share-to-Web software - Fix". Download and run
the script to automatically modify your registry as described in KB918165.
You may need to temporarily disable your antivirus program in order to run
the script.

A revised version of the update is supposed to be released on Tuesday, April
25, to fix these problems.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"tk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> When I try to save or access a file in a folder, the OPEN window says not
> responding and if you close the open window it completely closes word. I
> can
> access files from My Documents in the start window.

=?Utf-8?B?R3JhY2U=?=

      25th Apr 2006
HUGE help Charles! Can't believe I struggled for days to try and SAVE
important doc's and thought something snuck through my firewall/antivirus.
How frustrating. Stumbled on your post and voila!, I downloaded the fix and
it's fixed. I'm back to saving again. Hallelujah! The stuff I was working
on was crucial...a speech and my husbands transfer application. You're my
hero for this month! Glad to know there are helpful people out there in
cyberspace.
Thank you, thank you....Grace

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

> See: You may experience problems in Windows Explorer or in the Windows shell
> after you install security update MS06-015
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=918165
>
> If you aren't comfortable with editing the Windows registry yourself, then
> go to http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to Item
> No. 383 "Hewlett-Packard's Share-to-Web software - Fix". Download and run
> the script to automatically modify your registry as described in KB918165.
> You may need to temporarily disable your antivirus program in order to run
> the script.
>
> A revised version of the update is supposed to be released on Tuesday, April
> 25, to fix these problems.
> --
> Charles Kenyon
>
> Word New User FAQ & Web Directory: http://addbalance.com/word
>
> Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version of
> Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide) http://addbalance.com/usersguide
>
> See also the MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/ which is awesome!
>
> My criminal defense site: http://addbalance.com
> --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
> This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies
> and questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn
> from my ignorance and your wisdom.
>
> "tk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > When I try to save or access a file in a folder, the OPEN window says not
> > responding and if you close the open window it completely closes word. I
> > can
> > access files from My Documents in the start window.

Charles Kenyon

      25th Apr 2006
Glad to have been able to pass the information on to you.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Grace" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> HUGE help Charles! Can't believe I struggled for days to try and SAVE
> important doc's and thought something snuck through my firewall/antivirus.
> How frustrating. Stumbled on your post and voila!, I downloaded the fix
> and
> it's fixed. I'm back to saving again. Hallelujah! The stuff I was
> working
> on was crucial...a speech and my husbands transfer application. You're my
> hero for this month! Glad to know there are helpful people out there in
> cyberspace.
> Thank you, thank you....Grace
>
> "Charles Kenyon" wrote:
>
>> See: You may experience problems in Windows Explorer or in the Windows
>> shell
>> after you install security update MS06-015
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=918165
>>
>> If you aren't comfortable with editing the Windows registry yourself,
>> then
>> go to http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to
>> Item
>> No. 383 "Hewlett-Packard's Share-to-Web software - Fix". Download and
>> run
>> the script to automatically modify your registry as described in
>> KB918165.
>> You may need to temporarily disable your antivirus program in order to
>> run
>> the script.
>>
>> A revised version of the update is supposed to be released on Tuesday,
>> April
>> 25, to fix these problems.
>> --
>> Charles Kenyon
>>
>> Word New User FAQ & Web Directory: http://addbalance.com/word
>>
>> Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version of
>> Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide) http://addbalance.com/usersguide
>>
>> See also the MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/ which is awesome!
>>
>> My criminal defense site: http://addbalance.com
>> --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
>> This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies
>> and questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn
>> from my ignorance and your wisdom.
>>
>> "tk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > When I try to save or access a file in a folder, the OPEN window says
>> > not
>> > responding and if you close the open window it completely closes word.
>> > can
>> > access files from My Documents in the start window.

=?Utf-8?B?Q1JBTktZ?=

      26th Apr 2006

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

> See: You may experience problems in Windows Explorer or in the Windows shell
> after you install security update MS06-015
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=918165
>
> If you aren't comfortable with editing the Windows registry yourself, then
> go to http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to Item
> No. 383 "Hewlett-Packard's Share-to-Web software - Fix". Download and run
> the script to automatically modify your registry as described in KB918165.
> You may need to temporarily disable your antivirus program in order to run
> the script.
>
> A revised version of the update is supposed to be released on Tuesday, April
> 25, to fix these problems.
> --
> Charles Kenyon
>
> Word New User FAQ & Web Directory: http://addbalance.com/word
>
> Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version of
> Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide) http://addbalance.com/usersguide
>
> See also the MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/ which is awesome!
>
> My criminal defense site: http://addbalance.com
> --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
> This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies
> and questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn
> from my ignorance and your wisdom.
>
> "tk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > When I try to save or access a file in a folder, the OPEN window says not
> > responding and if you close the open window it completely closes word. I
> > can
> > access files from My Documents in the start window.

> I am as confused as most are about this sudden happening with Word 2002. Went to Microsoft and pressed update my Office, and it did, but what is the title/number of the update slated to fix the problem in Word? And how do I use Hotfix to repair the problem? The nomenclature is a bit abstract for me. Being unable to use Word 2002 is important for me. I just don't know if the newest update you mention in your post is actually in effect, and if I click on the 'hotfix' that is the newest, how do I hot fix Word program?

=?Utf-8?B?U2NvdHQ=?=

      26th Apr 2006

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

> See: You may experience problems in Windows Explorer or in the Windows shell
> after you install security update MS06-015
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=918165
>
> If you aren't comfortable with editing the Windows registry yourself, then
> go to http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to Item
> No. 383 "Hewlett-Packard's Share-to-Web software - Fix". Download and run
> the script to automatically modify your registry as described in KB918165.
> You may need to temporarily disable your antivirus program in order to run
> the script.
>
> A revised version of the update is supposed to be released on Tuesday, April
> 25, to fix these problems.
> --
> Charles Kenyon
>
> Word New User FAQ & Web Directory: http://addbalance.com/word
>
> Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version of
> Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide) http://addbalance.com/usersguide
>
> See also the MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/ which is awesome!
>
> My criminal defense site: http://addbalance.com
> --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
> This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies
> and questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn
> from my ignorance and your wisdom.
>
> "tk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > When I try to save or access a file in a folder, the OPEN window says not
> > responding and if you close the open window it completely closes word. I
> > can
> > access files from My Documents in the start window.

Charles Kenyon

      26th Apr 2006
The problem is the interface of Windows XP and certain third-party software.
It then locks up when certain Office programs try to use code that the
third-party software has locked up. It seems to be causing problems in most
Office programs regardless of Office version.

A revised version of the MS06-015 update was released today that
supposedly interacts better with the older HP and nVidia
software. You can download the revised update from
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms06-015.mspx.

Some people may suggest that you uninstall the MS06-015 update, or rename
the c:\windows\system32\verclsid.exe file. Doing either of these things
will leave your computer vulnerable to the security issue described at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms06-015.mspx. You should
only uninstall these if the revised patch causes the same problems and the
registry edit doesn't help.

For the latest info, see http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/default.aspx.

The text of this message was lifted verbatim from other posts, primarily
those of garfield-n-odie.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"CRANKY" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Charles Kenyon" wrote:
>
>> See: You may experience problems in Windows Explorer or in the Windows
>> shell
>> after you install security update MS06-015
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=918165
>>
>> If you aren't comfortable with editing the Windows registry yourself,
>> then
>> go to http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to
>> Item
>> No. 383 "Hewlett-Packard's Share-to-Web software - Fix". Download and
>> run
>> the script to automatically modify your registry as described in
>> KB918165.
>> You may need to temporarily disable your antivirus program in order to
>> run
>> the script.
>>
>> A revised version of the update is supposed to be released on Tuesday,
>> April
>> 25, to fix these problems.
>> --
>> Charles Kenyon
>>
>> Word New User FAQ & Web Directory: http://addbalance.com/word
>>
>> Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version of
>> Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide) http://addbalance.com/usersguide
>>
>> See also the MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/ which is awesome!
>>
>> My criminal defense site: http://addbalance.com
>> --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
>> This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies
>> and questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn
>> from my ignorance and your wisdom.
>>
>> "tk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > When I try to save or access a file in a folder, the OPEN window says
>> > not
>> > responding and if you close the open window it completely closes word.
>> > can
>> > access files from My Documents in the start window.

>> I am as confused as most are about this sudden happening with Word 2002.
>> Went to Microsoft and pressed update my Office, and it did, but what is
>> the title/number of the update slated to fix the problem in Word? And how
>> do I use Hotfix to repair the problem? The nomenclature is a bit abstract
>> for me. Being unable to use Word 2002 is important for me. I just don't
>> know if the newest update you mention in your post is actually in effect,
>> and if I click on the 'hotfix' that is the newest, how do I hot fix Word
>> program?

=?Utf-8?B?TW9pcmEgRw==?=

      13th May 2006
I am experiencing the same difficulties in Word And Excell but my HP software
does not seem to be the problem as the MS06-015 update has not solved the
problem. I am running on Windows XP Media Centre Edition 2002, Service pack
2 and I installed Office XP Professional 2002 after purchasing the computer
about 6 months ago. The trouble seemed to start after the initial security
update though. Could it be some other software causing the problem? I
really thought the MS06-015 update would work but now I am at a complete loss.