WMI through firewall

Fabricio Tofoli

      14th Jul 2004
What ports should I open on the XP personal firewall to make the computer
accessible using WMI remotelly?

Thanks,
Fabricio

Philip Nunn [MSFT]

      22nd Jul 2004
WMI cannot be made remotely accessible on XP Personal.

--
Philip Nunn [MSFT]
"Fabricio Tofoli" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What ports should I open on the XP personal firewall to make the computer
> accessible using WMI remotelly?
>
> Thanks,
> Fabricio

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

      22nd Jul 2004
Philip Nunn [MSFT] wrote:

> WMI cannot be made remotely accessible on XP Personal.

Hi

I wonder if the OP with "XP personal firewall" meant "XP personal" or
did he mean "personal firewall" that comes with XP...

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scr...r/default.mspx

Philip Nunn [MSFT]

      23rd Jul 2004
Torgeir has a good point! I may have misunderstood the question. Fabricio,
if by personal firewall you mean the personal firewall on a Windows XP
Professional machine (and not the firewall on a Windows XP Home Edition --
aka Personal -- machine), then it is possible to remotely manage the box
using WMI.

Since, WMI uses DCOM for remoting, enabling DCOM across the firewall should
allow it work. Below is a link I found on MSDN that may be of help.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...asp?frame=true

A couple of other links that might be relevant:

HOWTO: Configure RPC Dynamic Port Allocation to Work with Firewall

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...TNGP09.phx.gbl

--
Philip Nunn [MSFT]
"Philip Nunn [MSFT]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> WMI cannot be made remotely accessible on XP Personal.
>
> --
> Philip Nunn [MSFT]
> rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified
> at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm.
> "Fabricio Tofoli" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What ports should I open on the XP personal firewall to make the computer
>> accessible using WMI remotelly?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Fabricio

New Member

      29th Sep 2009
The only advice I've found on the net is to disable the XP firewall in order to allow the use of taskkill across a Windows network. This is not an acceptable answer. The correct answer is to create a firewall exception for the following ports (I figured this out using Windows Firewall's security log, btw):

TCP 135
TCP 4168
UDP 9256

You're welcome.

New Member

      16th Jan 2012
[Solution]

if you donít want to turn off firewall on target machine then do this:

on target machine go to cmd.exe and type following command:

netsh firewall set service RemoteAdmin enable

Read my complete article on remote WMI.

Max