Wireless security: AES vs. TKIP

J.H. Holliday

      31st May 2005
I've got my Linksys wireless router set for WPA-PSK security and have the
choice of using AES or TKIP algorithms.

Which offers better security- and are there any trade-offs?

Doc

Ron Lowe

      31st May 2005
"J.H. Holliday" <doc@okcorral> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got my Linksys wireless router set for WPA-PSK security and have the
> choice of using AES or TKIP algorithms.
>
> Which offers better security- and are there any trade-offs?
>
> Doc

AES it the encryption used with the newer WPA2 ( 802.11i ) standard.
If the AP and client support it, then select it.

Here's a brief article about it ( the first hit on google ):
http://www.openxtra.co.uk/articles/wpa-vs-80211i.php

--
Best Regards
Ron Lowe

allan_grossman@hotmail.com

      31st May 2005
Hi -

AES has stronger encryption than TKIP and therefore requires more
processing power to decrypt - if you absolutely must have the best
without going to a third party solution like AirFortress I'd use AES.

Hope this helps -

Jack \(MVP\)

      1st Jun 2005
Hi

If you care for basic explanation, may be this can help:
http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi -
>
> AES has stronger encryption than TKIP and therefore requires more
> processing power to decrypt - if you absolutely must have the best
> without going to a third party solution like AirFortress I'd use AES.
>
> Hope this helps -

New Member

      20th Jun 2011
The Nook, 2nd Edition will NOT connect with AES. It will connect with TKIP. All of my other wifi toys connect perfectly using AES.

New Member

      24th Jun 2011
Thanks for the info. I got my Nook, 2nd edition 3 weeks ago. I could not connect to the "store". I spoke to tech support at Barnes and Noble, who did not help me at all. I'm not happy that I have to change my security settings to use my Nook, but I'm glad I finally know why it was not working. I wish that the tech support could have told me that it would not work with AES. I am still considering returning it,not sure I want to use TKIP instead of AES. I'm not savvy enough to know how much more secure AES is, but believe it is more secure than TKIP. Thanks for helping me to make the Nook 2nd edition work.