Wireless keeps losing config

Gerry Hickman

      8th Mar 2005
Hi,

I built a new Win2k laptop. It's a Dell D600 with "Centrino", which
basically means it's got some Intel chips inside. The drivers for the
Wireless NIC are from Intel, and so is the control panel app called
"ProSET".

I set all this up, fired up ProSET as the local admin, set up the
wireless connection and everything works as expected.

I then decide to test a different user "just in case". Guess what, the
wireless config was missing and all I get is a warning on the taskbar
saying "Cable Disconnected". What the hell? It seems connections are
"per user"?? I'm getting worried at this point. I go to Intel's site and
all I can find are documents claiming how great it is that connections
are "per user"! I read their guide, and can't believe what they expect
the end-user to go through to get a connection.

I then notice there's a tab on the WLAN connection itself, where you can
set the SSID of a network. For a minute, I'm thinking I have solved it.
I disable Intel's ProSET, enter my info to this new tab and everything
looks fine. I reboot the machine. Guess what? All the settings have gone!

I tried a few scripts to copy WLAN profiles to user profiles when they
log on, it didn't work (unless they log off and then back on again). I
tried Intel's WLAN profile import feature, but could not get it to work
automatically.

I'm out of ideas. This is a laptop for a seminar room, it will have
dozens of local and domain users logging on and they expect the wireless
stuff to "just work".

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)

Dave Patrick

      10th Mar 2005
Something to try. Control Panel|System|User Profiles, select the profile you
just setup (while logged on as another user with local administrative
rights), Copy To, Browse to
%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\Default User
Change "Permitted to use:" to "Everyone" OK

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Gerry Hickman" wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I built a new Win2k laptop. It's a Dell D600 with "Centrino", which
| basically means it's got some Intel chips inside. The drivers for the
| Wireless NIC are from Intel, and so is the control panel app called
| "ProSET".
|
| I set all this up, fired up ProSET as the local admin, set up the
| wireless connection and everything works as expected.
|
| I then decide to test a different user "just in case". Guess what, the
| wireless config was missing and all I get is a warning on the taskbar
| saying "Cable Disconnected". What the hell? It seems connections are
| "per user"?? I'm getting worried at this point. I go to Intel's site and
| all I can find are documents claiming how great it is that connections
| are "per user"! I read their guide, and can't believe what they expect
| the end-user to go through to get a connection.
|
| I then notice there's a tab on the WLAN connection itself, where you can
| set the SSID of a network. For a minute, I'm thinking I have solved it.
| I disable Intel's ProSET, enter my info to this new tab and everything
| looks fine. I reboot the machine. Guess what? All the settings have gone!
|
| I tried a few scripts to copy WLAN profiles to user profiles when they
| log on, it didn't work (unless they log off and then back on again). I
| tried Intel's WLAN profile import feature, but could not get it to work
| automatically.
|
| I'm out of ideas. This is a laptop for a seminar room, it will have
| dozens of local and domain users logging on and they expect the wireless
| stuff to "just work".
|
| --
| Gerry Hickman (London UK)

Gerry Hickman

      10th Mar 2005
Hi Dave,

> Something to try. Control Panel|System|User Profiles, select the profile you
> just setup (while logged on as another user with local administrative
> rights), Copy To, Browse to
> %systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\Default User
> Change "Permitted to use:" to "Everyone" OK

A few days ago, I tried something similar, in that I used Windows
Explorer to copy the WLANProfiles folder into \Default User while logged
on as local Administrator (this account had the settings I wanted), but
when I logged in as a different user, it didn't seem to pick up these
settings. I've made a note of your text above for future testing.

I've "kind of" solved it in the mean time, in that I noticed ProSET
loads an exe file called zCfgSvc.exe even when the main ProSET program
is disabled from loading in the HKLM\...\Run key, not sure how it does
this, but I uninstalled ProSET all together, and now I can enter an SSID
for the Wireless NIC from within "Network and dial-up Connections", and
guess what - it works for every user!

The main downside is that I've lost the nice ProSET taksbar icon that
shows the signal strength, and obviously this method would be useless
for multiple WLANS, but for my situation where we only have one WLAN and
totally non-technical users, it's probably a good solution...

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)

Dave Patrick

      10th Mar 2005