wireless connection always chosen

Kyle

      27th Apr 2004
I have a wireless network both at home and we have on at my office as well.
When at home, i use the wireless exclusively, but at work, I plug into a
network; however, my wireless connection is always choosen, even though it
is the slower connection. I understood that XP would select the best
connection if 2 were available. Now, I have to disable my wireless
connection everytime I come to work, and then re-enable it at home.

Is there a way to tell XP to pick the best possible, or is there some where
you need to turn this option on? I can't seem to find any settings to do
this.

Thanks.

allan grossman [mvp]

      27th Apr 2004
Hi, Kyle -

My suggestion is to remove your work wireless network
from the 'Preferred networks' area in the wireless
connection's properties. This will allow you to
automagically connect to your home network but will
require you to manually connect to the WLAN at your
office.

Hope this helps -

Steve Winograd [MVP]

      28th Apr 2004
In article <ekf#(E-Mail Removed)>, "Kyle"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I have a wireless network both at home and we have on at my office as well.
>When at home, i use the wireless exclusively, but at work, I plug into a
>network; however, my wireless connection is always choosen, even though it
>is the slower connection. I understood that XP would select the best
>connection if 2 were available. Now, I have to disable my wireless
>connection everytime I come to work, and then re-enable it at home.
>
>Is there a way to tell XP to pick the best possible, or is there some where
>you need to turn this option on? I can't seem to find any settings to do
>this.
>
>Thanks.

Assign a metric to each network connection, giving the wired
connection a lower value than the wireless connection.

To assign a metric to a network connection:

1. Open the Network Connections folder.
2. Right click the desired connection.
3. Click Properties | Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
4. Click Properties | Advanced.
5. Un-check "Automatic metric".
6. Enter a number between 1 and 9999 for the "Interface metric".
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com