Winforms and WPF - where to start

Chris Kennedy

      11th Sep 2009
Hi I'm a web developer but a newbie to win forms and WPF. What are the main
differences between the two. In particular I want incorporate either
Winforms or WPF into web browsers in our intranet applications. The main
things we want are

The ability to do things like dragging and dropping from the file sysytem
(I've done this in a Winform)
Easy integration with host browser via events methods and properties
Integration with Office Apps

Bob Powell [MVP]

      13th Sep 2009
Stay away from winforms for this application. You can use winforms controls
like ActiveX controls but WPF will be simpler as a browser app or maybe on a
silverlight site.

WPF's latest version and Silverlight 3 are pretty much the same so if you
learn XAML it will apply to both.

Bob Powell [MVP]
Visual C#, System.Drawing

Ramuseco Limited .NET consulting
http://www.ramuseco.com

Find great Windows Forms articles in Windows Forms Tips and Tricks
http://www.bobpowell.net/tipstricks.htm

Answer those GDI+ questions with the GDI+ FAQ
http://www.bobpowell.net/faqmain.htm

All new articles provide code in C# and VB.NET.
Subscribe to the RSS feeds provided and never miss a new article.

"Chris Kennedy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi I'm a web developer but a newbie to win forms and WPF. What are the
> main differences between the two. In particular I want incorporate either
> Winforms or WPF into web browsers in our intranet applications. The main
> things we want are
>
> The ability to do things like dragging and dropping from the file sysytem
> (I've done this in a Winform)
> Easy integration with host browser via events methods and properties
> Integration with Office Apps

Chris Kennedy

      13th Sep 2009
How would Silverlight handle something like dragging and dropping a file
from the desktop or Outlook and then doing something with it. I've got this
to work quite well with emdedding WinForm controls but struggled to find
Silverlight examples. I'd prefer to use Silverlight and WPF in the longer
run.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...