PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

Windows XP(SP3) Firewall Slow To Startup

 
 
WMB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      26th Feb 2009
Windows XP(SP3), Updated regularly

Hi, if someone has a link to a group for help with the
Windows Firewall please enclude it.

Prior to the installation of Windows Live One Care I had no problems with my
Windows firewall. That was the first time that a Security Suite/Program, I
installed, had automatically disabled and replaced the Windows firewall.
Based upon problems that I encountered with Windows Live One Care (Slow
Start, etc.) I have since removed it on my XP computer. Works fine on my
Vista, but may still probably remove it. Anyway, I've installed AVG
Anti-Virus free, on my XP machine and that works great plus its free. Now
the problem, when the computer boots and every thing has loaded in my System
tray, bottom right side, I'll wait for about 20/30 seconds and I'll get a
popup from the system tray telling me that the Windows firewall has not
started and my Computer my not be protected. This popup normally stays up
about 10/20 seconds and will go away on its own. At this time, checking the
firewall shows that it is active. This is new behavior since the removal of
One Care. Any suggestions foe getting the Windows Firewall to load when
Windows XP loads, or as it normally should? Thanks for any help.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
SC Tom
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      26th Feb 2009

"WMB" <brown.2005@.comcast.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Windows XP(SP3), Updated regularly
>
> Hi, if someone has a link to a group for help with the
> Windows Firewall please enclude it.
>
> Prior to the installation of Windows Live One Care I had no problems with
> my Windows firewall. That was the first time that a Security
> Suite/Program, I installed, had automatically disabled and replaced the
> Windows firewall. Based upon problems that I encountered with Windows Live
> One Care (Slow Start, etc.) I have since removed it on my XP computer.
> Works fine on my Vista, but may still probably remove it. Anyway, I've
> installed AVG Anti-Virus free, on my XP machine and that works great plus
> its free. Now the problem, when the computer boots and every thing has
> loaded in my System tray, bottom right side, I'll wait for about 20/30
> seconds and I'll get a popup from the system tray telling me that the
> Windows firewall has not started and my Computer my not be protected.
> This popup normally stays up about 10/20 seconds and will go away on its
> own. At this time, checking the firewall shows that it is active. This is
> new behavior since the removal of One Care. Any suggestions foe getting
> the Windows Firewall to load when Windows XP loads, or as it normally
> should? Thanks for any help.
>


This link may help
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...areCleanUp.exe

There are a couple of newsgroups for firewalls:
microsoft.public.windows.live.onecare.firewall and
microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall

SC Tom


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
WMB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      27th Feb 2009
Hi SC Tom,
Thanks for the reply,

It APPEARS my slow starting Windows Firewall has fixed itself or become
intermittent. My last couple of reboots did not display the same behavior.
Of course running your suggestion of the Clean-up tool may have helped. Its
just that the behavior did not stop immediately. Also, I did add the
running of Windows Defender. Hopefully everything will continue. Thanks
again.

"SC Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "WMB" <brown.2005@.comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Windows XP(SP3), Updated regularly
>>
>> Hi, if someone has a link to a group for help with the
>> Windows Firewall please enclude it.
>>
>> Prior to the installation of Windows Live One Care I had no problems with
>> my Windows firewall. That was the first time that a Security
>> Suite/Program, I installed, had automatically disabled and replaced the
>> Windows firewall. Based upon problems that I encountered with Windows
>> Live One Care (Slow Start, etc.) I have since removed it on my XP
>> computer. Works fine on my Vista, but may still probably remove it.
>> Anyway, I've installed AVG Anti-Virus free, on my XP machine and that
>> works great plus its free. Now the problem, when the computer boots and
>> every thing has loaded in my System tray, bottom right side, I'll wait
>> for about 20/30 seconds and I'll get a popup from the system tray telling
>> me that the Windows firewall has not started and my Computer my not be
>> protected. This popup normally stays up about 10/20 seconds and will go
>> away on its own. At this time, checking the firewall shows that it is
>> active. This is new behavior since the removal of One Care. Any
>> suggestions foe getting the Windows Firewall to load when Windows XP
>> loads, or as it normally should? Thanks for any help.
>>

>
> This link may help
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...areCleanUp.exe
>
> There are a couple of newsgroups for firewalls:
> microsoft.public.windows.live.onecare.firewall and
> microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall
>
> SC Tom
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
SC Tom
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      27th Feb 2009
Not a problem. Happy to help when I can.

"WMB" <brown.2005@.comcast.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi SC Tom,
> Thanks for the reply,
>
> It APPEARS my slow starting Windows Firewall has fixed itself or become
> intermittent. My last couple of reboots did not display the same
> behavior. Of course running your suggestion of the Clean-up tool may have
> helped. Its just that the behavior did not stop immediately. Also, I did
> add the running of Windows Defender. Hopefully everything will continue.
> Thanks again.
>
> "SC Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "WMB" <brown.2005@.comcast.net> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Windows XP(SP3), Updated regularly
>>>
>>> Hi, if someone has a link to a group for help with the
>>> Windows Firewall please enclude it.
>>>
>>> Prior to the installation of Windows Live One Care I had no problems
>>> with my Windows firewall. That was the first time that a Security
>>> Suite/Program, I installed, had automatically disabled and replaced the
>>> Windows firewall. Based upon problems that I encountered with Windows
>>> Live One Care (Slow Start, etc.) I have since removed it on my XP
>>> computer. Works fine on my Vista, but may still probably remove it.
>>> Anyway, I've installed AVG Anti-Virus free, on my XP machine and that
>>> works great plus its free. Now the problem, when the computer boots and
>>> every thing has loaded in my System tray, bottom right side, I'll wait
>>> for about 20/30 seconds and I'll get a popup from the system tray
>>> telling me that the Windows firewall has not started and my Computer my
>>> not be protected. This popup normally stays up about 10/20 seconds and
>>> will go away on its own. At this time, checking the firewall shows that
>>> it is active. This is new behavior since the removal of One Care. Any
>>> suggestions foe getting the Windows Firewall to load when Windows XP
>>> loads, or as it normally should? Thanks for any help.
>>>

>>
>> This link may help
>> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...areCleanUp.exe
>>
>> There are a couple of newsgroups for firewalls:
>> microsoft.public.windows.live.onecare.firewall and
>> microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall
>>
>> SC Tom
>>
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HOW to Stop STartup Programs that do not show in the "startup" folder or have options in the programs to not start at windows startup james Windows Vista Installation 3 30th Jun 2008 01:22 AM
after windows firewall putting off on windows vista unable to access network and unable to on windows firewall Gurbatullah Khan Windows Vista Security 3 12th Mar 2008 04:59 PM
Slow startup winxp; 2 min. from from Windows Startup to Welcome screen Karl Windows XP Help 12 16th Aug 2004 07:21 PM
Windows XP Professional slow startup or no startup John Windows XP Performance 0 19th May 2004 12:52 AM
Slow, slow, slow, slow to load pages steve Windows XP Internet Explorer 3 8th Mar 2004 07:36 PM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:13 PM.