Windows XP Service Pack 2

=?Utf-8?B?c25vb3B5MDc=?=

      26th Jul 2007
My computer has suddenly developed a problem with opening files from the
recently used file list. If I click on a file nothing happens for about 3
mins. If I open Word or Excel first and then open the file it is as quick as
normal.
I have tried deleting the recently used file list but the new entries are no
different.
My guess is that it may be a result of a recent update, either for XP or
possibly Norton 2007
Can anybody help?

=?Utf-8?B?UmFscGg=?=

      26th Jul 2007
Snoopy07, have you tryed to use your system restore utility? If you think
your "slow down" is from a recent update you could set your system restore
date to a time prior to that update.You mighy try turning off your Norton
when you are offline, Norton is a memory hog and if you don't have enough RAM
to support it, things will run slow.
--
Ralph, the fifty year old student

"snoopy07" wrote:

> My computer has suddenly developed a problem with opening files from the
> recently used file list. If I click on a file nothing happens for about 3
> mins. If I open Word or Excel first and then open the file it is as quick as
> normal.
> I have tried deleting the recently used file list but the new entries are no
> different.
> My guess is that it may be a result of a recent update, either for XP or
> possibly Norton 2007
> Can anybody help?

=?Utf-8?B?c25vb3B5MDc=?=

      26th Jul 2007
Ralph, no I have not tried restore, but do not see it as a solution even the
problem is caused by an update, as both Windows Update and Norton Update will
soon put it back as it was unless both are permanently switched off.
Can't see how I can switch off Norton as broadband is always connected.
I do agree that Norton is a memory hog and slows things down, but files open
in normal time, with Norton checks, provide I do not use the recently used
file list.

Anyone any further thoughts?

"Ralph" wrote:

> Snoopy07, have you tryed to use your system restore utility? If you think
> your "slow down" is from a recent update you could set your system restore
> date to a time prior to that update.You mighy try turning off your Norton
> when you are offline, Norton is a memory hog and if you don't have enough RAM
> to support it, things will run slow.
> --
> Ralph, the fifty year old student
>

> "snoopy07" wrote:
>
> > My computer has suddenly developed a problem with opening files from the
> > recently used file list. If I click on a file nothing happens for about 3
> > mins. If I open Word or Excel first and then open the file it is as quick as
> > normal.
> > I have tried deleting the recently used file list but the new entries are no
> > different.
> > My guess is that it may be a result of a recent update, either for XP or
> > possibly Norton 2007
> > Can anybody help?

=?Utf-8?B?UmFscGg=?=

      26th Jul 2007
Snoopy07;
Do you get a "program not responding" error message while you are waiting
for your file to open? I had a simular situation as you described and would
get that message during the delay. I also thought the problem came from an
update as it began shortly after I had let Microsoft load updates. I did a
system restore, I also went to the add/remove program in control panel and
removed a bunch of junk that I did not use (programs that came with this
computer) I also added some RAM to this computer and have not had that
problem since.
If you save your files to a different location (like maybe my documents)
instead of the recently used files, do you have the same problem?
--

"snoopy07" wrote:

> Ralph, no I have not tried restore, but do not see it as a solution even the
> problem is caused by an update, as both Windows Update and Norton Update will
> soon put it back as it was unless both are permanently switched off.
> Can't see how I can switch off Norton as broadband is always connected.
> I do agree that Norton is a memory hog and slows things down, but files open
> in normal time, with Norton checks, provide I do not use the recently used
> file list.
>
> Anyone any further thoughts?
>
> "Ralph" wrote:
>
> > Snoopy07, have you tryed to use your system restore utility? If you think
> > your "slow down" is from a recent update you could set your system restore
> > date to a time prior to that update.You mighy try turning off your Norton
> > when you are offline, Norton is a memory hog and if you don't have enough RAM
> > to support it, things will run slow.
> > --
> > Ralph, the fifty year old student
> >

> > "snoopy07" wrote:
> >
> > > My computer has suddenly developed a problem with opening files from the
> > > recently used file list. If I click on a file nothing happens for about 3
> > > mins. If I open Word or Excel first and then open the file it is as quick as
> > > normal.
> > > I have tried deleting the recently used file list but the new entries are no
> > > different.
> > > My guess is that it may be a result of a recent update, either for XP or
> > > possibly Norton 2007
> > > Can anybody help?

=?Utf-8?B?c25vb3B5MDc=?=

      27th Jul 2007
Ralph,

No, I do not get program not responding.
I have not knowingly done any updates, only those that get downloaded from
Microsoft & Norton automatically.
Files are all saved in My Documents and open fine if I open Word or Excel
first and then do file open.
The problem is when I try to open them from the XP start menu, using
"Documents", which contains shortcuts to recently used files, which in turn I
think are stored by XP in the hidden folder "C:\Documents and
Settings\Owner\My Recent Documents"
When files are opened this way I get the impression that Norton may be
taking a long time between scanning Excel/Word in the background and then
scanning the file. If I open the files from Win Explorer, Excel/Word opens
quickly but there is then a delay before Norton start scanning the file.
I'll keep experimenting and hope.

"Ralph" wrote:

> Snoopy07;
> Do you get a "program not responding" error message while you are waiting
> for your file to open? I had a simular situation as you described and would
> get that message during the delay. I also thought the problem came from an
> update as it began shortly after I had let Microsoft load updates. I did a
> system restore, I also went to the add/remove program in control panel and
> removed a bunch of junk that I did not use (programs that came with this
> computer) I also added some RAM to this computer and have not had that
> problem since.
> If you save your files to a different location (like maybe my documents)
> instead of the recently used files, do you have the same problem?
> --
> Ralph, the fifty year old student
>

> "snoopy07" wrote:
>
> > Ralph, no I have not tried restore, but do not see it as a solution even the
> > problem is caused by an update, as both Windows Update and Norton Update will
> > soon put it back as it was unless both are permanently switched off.
> > Can't see how I can switch off Norton as broadband is always connected.
> > I do agree that Norton is a memory hog and slows things down, but files open
> > in normal time, with Norton checks, provide I do not use the recently used
> > file list.
> >
> > Anyone any further thoughts?
> >
> > "Ralph" wrote:
> >
> > > Snoopy07, have you tryed to use your system restore utility? If you think
> > > your "slow down" is from a recent update you could set your system restore
> > > date to a time prior to that update.You mighy try turning off your Norton
> > > when you are offline, Norton is a memory hog and if you don't have enough RAM
> > > to support it, things will run slow.
> > > --
> > > Ralph, the fifty year old student

=?Utf-8?B?UmFscGg=?=

      28th Jul 2007
Snoopy07;
Do you think that your "recent documents" folder could have gotten corrupt
in the process of loading an update? If it did then your restore utility may
help. you sound reluctant to use this, It's fairly safe to use, you won't
loose anything you created and it may restore the settings on that folder, I
still think it may be worth a try. It has worked for me in the past.
Good luck.
--

"snoopy07" wrote:

> Ralph,
>
> No, I do not get program not responding.
> I have not knowingly done any updates, only those that get downloaded from
> Microsoft & Norton automatically.
> Files are all saved in My Documents and open fine if I open Word or Excel
> first and then do file open.
> The problem is when I try to open them from the XP start menu, using
> "Documents", which contains shortcuts to recently used files, which in turn I
> think are stored by XP in the hidden folder "C:\Documents and
> Settings\Owner\My Recent Documents"
> When files are opened this way I get the impression that Norton may be
> taking a long time between scanning Excel/Word in the background and then
> scanning the file. If I open the files from Win Explorer, Excel/Word opens
> quickly but there is then a delay before Norton start scanning the file.
> I'll keep experimenting and hope.
>
> "Ralph" wrote:
>
> > Snoopy07;
> > Do you get a "program not responding" error message while you are waiting
> > for your file to open? I had a simular situation as you described and would
> > get that message during the delay. I also thought the problem came from an
> > update as it began shortly after I had let Microsoft load updates. I did a
> > system restore, I also went to the add/remove program in control panel and
> > removed a bunch of junk that I did not use (programs that came with this
> > computer) I also added some RAM to this computer and have not had that
> > problem since.
> > If you save your files to a different location (like maybe my documents)
> > instead of the recently used files, do you have the same problem?
> > --
> > Ralph, the fifty year old student
> >

> > "snoopy07" wrote:
> >
> > > Ralph, no I have not tried restore, but do not see it as a solution even the
> > > problem is caused by an update, as both Windows Update and Norton Update will
> > > soon put it back as it was unless both are permanently switched off.
> > > Can't see how I can switch off Norton as broadband is always connected.
> > > I do agree that Norton is a memory hog and slows things down, but files open
> > > in normal time, with Norton checks, provide I do not use the recently used
> > > file list.
> > >
> > > Anyone any further thoughts?

=?Utf-8?B?c25vb3B5MDc=?=

      29th Jul 2007
I searched the web for another little problem of a file not responding on
closedown - MCCWSAWindow - and found that this was caused by a recent, no
choice, install of a an update to BT Desktop Help (ISP on line help program).
There were reports of this causing a lot of problems despite BT saying
otherwise. As suggested I uninstalled it and guess what - my recent documents
works perfectly again as well as no problem on closedown. PC is also
generally much faster without it.