Windows XP Scheduled Backup Fails

Doug B

      8th Aug 2008
I have searched the forum and can't find a post on this topic. When
scheduling a backup, same time every day, it fails to run. There is no error,
just does not run. When checking the backup log it shows nothing. Can run
manual backups with no problem so it seems to be a scheduling issue. User
rights are ok for this operation so am unsure why it fails. Any help
appreciated. This o/s is updated to sp/2. Thanks.
--
Doug B

Pegasus \(MVP\)

      8th Aug 2008

"Doug B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have searched the forum and can't find a post on this topic. When
> scheduling a backup, same time every day, it fails to run. There is no
> error,
> just does not run. When checking the backup log it shows nothing. Can run
> manual backups with no problem so it seems to be a scheduling issue. User
> rights are ok for this operation so am unsure why it fails. Any help
> appreciated. This o/s is updated to sp/2. Thanks.
> --
> Doug B

You need to supply more information:
- What is your exact backup command?
- What backup log file are you looking at?
- What does it say?
- What does the Task Scheduler log file say?

Doug B

      8th Aug 2008
Using Windows backup and designated the files/directories to backup, with
backup to a file on an external USB drive, so no "commands" per se. I have
checked all the error logs and find nothing . . . no log enteries at all.
Looking at the backup report within Windows Backup and the task scheduler.

Thanks
--
Doug B

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> "Doug B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have searched the forum and can't find a post on this topic. When
> > scheduling a backup, same time every day, it fails to run. There is no
> > error,
> > just does not run. When checking the backup log it shows nothing. Can run
> > manual backups with no problem so it seems to be a scheduling issue. User
> > rights are ok for this operation so am unsure why it fails. Any help
> > appreciated. This o/s is updated to sp/2. Thanks.
> > --
> > Doug B

> You need to supply more information:
> - What is your exact backup command?
> - What backup log file are you looking at?
> - What does it say?
> - What does the Task Scheduler log file say?

Pegasus \(MVP\)

      8th Aug 2008
If you schedule a backup then there IS a command.
Schedule another one, make sure it is set to execute
some time in the future, then examine the scheduled
job it creates. You can see it in the Control Panel /
Task Scheduler. Now copy that command line and paste
it into your reply.

I am unable to say anything else unless you respond
to my other questions:
- What backup log file are you looking at?
(You said "all error logs" - which ones would they be?)
- What does it say?
(You should quote them in your reply)
- What does the Task Scheduler log file say?
(Did you check this one? It's under the Advanced
options in the Task Scheduler)

Sorry for being pedantic but since my crystal ball is
currently a little cloudy, I must rely on your reports
rather than on guesswork.

"Doug B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Using Windows backup and designated the files/directories to backup, with
> backup to a file on an external USB drive, so no "commands" per se. I have
> checked all the error logs and find nothing . . . no log enteries at all.
> Looking at the backup report within Windows Backup and the task scheduler.
>
> Thanks
> --
> Doug B
>

> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>

>> "Doug B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I have searched the forum and can't find a post on this topic. When
>> > scheduling a backup, same time every day, it fails to run. There is no
>> > error,
>> > just does not run. When checking the backup log it shows nothing. Can
>> > run
>> > manual backups with no problem so it seems to be a scheduling issue.
>> > User
>> > rights are ok for this operation so am unsure why it fails. Any help
>> > appreciated. This o/s is updated to sp/2. Thanks.
>> > --
>> > Doug B

>> You need to supply more information:
>> - What is your exact backup command?
>> - What backup log file are you looking at?
>> - What does it say?
>> - What does the Task Scheduler log file say?

Pegasus \(MVP\)

      8th Aug 2008
There are actually two more questions:
- Where are the folders that you're backing up?
- What account do you use for the job you schedule?

"Doug B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Using Windows backup and designated the files/directories to backup, with
> backup to a file on an external USB drive, so no "commands" per se. I have
> checked all the error logs and find nothing . . . no log enteries at all.
> Looking at the backup report within Windows Backup and the task scheduler.
>
> Thanks
> --
> Doug B
>

> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>

>> "Doug B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I have searched the forum and can't find a post on this topic. When
>> > scheduling a backup, same time every day, it fails to run. There is no
>> > error,
>> > just does not run. When checking the backup log it shows nothing. Can
>> > run
>> > manual backups with no problem so it seems to be a scheduling issue.
>> > User
>> > rights are ok for this operation so am unsure why it fails. Any help
>> > appreciated. This o/s is updated to sp/2. Thanks.
>> > --
>> > Doug B

>> You need to supply more information:
>> - What is your exact backup command?
>> - What backup log file are you looking at?
>> - What does it say?
>> - What does the Task Scheduler log file say?

Doug B

      8th Aug 2008
Thanks for the response. I'm at work now so will do as you suggested upon
returning home. I'm trying to backup My Documents and another data directory
for a program that is not running when the backup is scheduled. Both are
being run with administrative rights. Will check the logs after doing another
schedule and post back.
--
Doug B

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> There are actually two more questions:
> - Where are the folders that you're backing up?
> - What account do you use for the job you schedule?
>
> "Doug B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Using Windows backup and designated the files/directories to backup, with
> > backup to a file on an external USB drive, so no "commands" per se. I have
> > checked all the error logs and find nothing . . . no log enteries at all.
> > Looking at the backup report within Windows Backup and the task scheduler.
> >
> > Thanks
> > --
> > Doug B
> >

> > "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
> >

> >> "Doug B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>
> >> You need to supply more information:
> >> - What is your exact backup command?
> >> - What backup log file are you looking at?
> >> - What does it say?
> >> - What does the Task Scheduler log file say?

Patrick Keenan

      9th Aug 2008

"Doug B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have searched the forum and can't find a post on this topic. When
> scheduling a backup, same time every day, it fails to run. There is no
> error,
> just does not run. When checking the backup log it shows nothing. Can run
> manual backups with no problem so it seems to be a scheduling issue. User
> rights are ok for this operation so am unsure why it fails. Any help
> appreciated. This o/s is updated to sp/2. Thanks.
> --
> Doug B

Does your user account have a password?

If it doesn't, add one, and then redo the scheduled task with the password.

By default, for security reasons, the Windows Scheduler will not run
scheduled tasks on a local account that does not have a password.

You can defeat this behaviour, but it's there for security reasons and it's
better to add the password.

HTH
-pk

Overleyw

      19th Sep 2008

"Patrick Keenan" wrote:

> "Doug B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have searched the forum and can't find a post on this topic. When
> > scheduling a backup, same time every day, it fails to run. There is no
> > error,
> > just does not run. When checking the backup log it shows nothing. Can run
> > manual backups with no problem so it seems to be a scheduling issue. User
> > rights are ok for this operation so am unsure why it fails. Any help
> > appreciated. This o/s is updated to sp/2. Thanks.
> > --
> > Doug B

> Does your user account have a password?
>
> If it doesn't, add one, and then redo the scheduled task with the password.
>
> By default, for security reasons, the Windows Scheduler will not run
> scheduled tasks on a local account that does not have a password.
>
> You can defeat this behaviour, but it's there for security reasons and it's
> better to add the password.
>
> HTH
> -pk

Overleyw

      19th Sep 2008
I am having the exact same issue. I cannot get backup to schedule and run.
It will run once as a manual job but never daily or weekly etc. I am just
doing
a few files in one folder.

"Patrick Keenan" wrote:

> "Doug B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have searched the forum and can't find a post on this topic. When
> > scheduling a backup, same time every day, it fails to run. There is no
> > error,
> > just does not run. When checking the backup log it shows nothing. Can run
> > manual backups with no problem so it seems to be a scheduling issue. User
> > rights are ok for this operation so am unsure why it fails. Any help
> > appreciated. This o/s is updated to sp/2. Thanks.
> > --
> > Doug B

> Does your user account have a password?
>
> If it doesn't, add one, and then redo the scheduled task with the password.
>
> By default, for security reasons, the Windows Scheduler will not run
> scheduled tasks on a local account that does not have a password.
>
> You can defeat this behaviour, but it's there for security reasons and it's
> better to add the password.
>
> HTH
> -pk

Pegasus \(MVP\)

      19th Sep 2008
If I had received one Dollar for every query that claimed that a scheduled
job did not run (but did, in fact, run) then I'd be a wealthy man by now . .
..

Let's do some diagnostic. Put the following lines into the file
c:\Windows\Over.bat:
@echo off
echo %date% %time% %UserName% >> c:\Over.txt

Now schedule this batch file to run a few times, then report the contents of
c:\Over.txt. You should also report the following items in your reply:
1. The exact command line that you have scheduled for your backup job.
2. Which user account you're running it under.
3. If this account is an admin account or not.
4. If this account has a non-blank password.
5. Which folders you're trying to back up.
6. Where you're trying to back up to.
7. The contents of your backup log.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...