Windows XP Professional Can't Find Windowsupdate, Hotmail or Login to hotmail

Keith Vaughn

      18th May 2004
Windows XP Professional "Error Code: 0x81000370"

System: DELL INSPIRON 8100
1 GHZ Processor
512 RAM
20 GB Hard-Drive
40% FREE
Operating System: Windows XP SP1A
Browser: Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1
MSN Messenger: 6.2

Recently I found I cannot;
1.) Browse / Scan for Updates at windowsupdate.com Cannot find the page
2.) Browse hotmail.com so I cannot Login and retrieve Hotmail
3.) MSN Messenger 6.2 will not connect displays "Error Code: 0x81000370"

What I attempted to Fix / resolve this:

1st: Full System Scan for Virus w/ McAfee (Latest DAT)
2nd: Disabled Anti-Virus
3rd: Uninstalled Sygate Firewall 5.5
4th: Set I.E. 6.0 back to DEFAULT Settings
5th: Lowered Security Settings to LOW
6th: Added to TRUSTED SITES;
microsoft.windowsupdate.com
hotmail.com
*Unchecked https:
7th: Uninstalled Internet Explorer and Reinstalled Internet Explorer
8th: Uninstalled MSN Messenger 6.2 and Reinstalled MSN Messenger 6.2
9th: Within Windows XP desktop, I inserted XP CD and "Upgraded" the OS
10th: Changed Boot Sequence and Booted to XP OS CD and Selected:
1: C\Windows
"R" for repair the OS, gave admin password and prompt immediately
changed to:
C:\Windows
Not sure what else to do ?
Attempting to get MSN Messenger going tonite by;
a.) Open MSN Messenger 6.2
Select TOOLS
Select OPTIONS
General Tab has 4 Boxes CHECKED
I'm unchecking Boxes: 1, 3, and 4 (Per Msn /Hotmail Telephone Tech Support)

Any input on how I can restore I.E. 6.0 so as to allow me to goto and scan for
updates at: windowsupdate.com
and to login my hotmail.com account is GREATLY Appreciated
*Note: I can Browse all over the Internet and even Login to my
Online Bank and CC accounts, "Just" Microsoft related sites
I can't get to......I can goto the www.microsoft.com site and Browse
there and goto the Security Pages

Thank YOU

Keith Vaughn
Modesto, CA.

PA Bear

      18th May 2004
Check your system for "hijackware":

Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/Darnit.htm

CoolWebSearch Chronicles

Run these tools in the following order with nothing else running in
background:

1. CWShredder (fix all found)

2. Ad-Aware (fix all found)

3. Spybot (RTFM but generally fix everything in red)

Important: You *must* seek updates for Ad-Aware, Spybot, etc., before each
and every use, even "right out of the box". But even they can't catch
everything, 24/7. When all else fails, HijackThis
(http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/HijackThis.exe) is the preferred
tool to use. It will help you to both identify and remove any
hijackware/spyware. **Post your files to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/ or
http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**

[Alternate download pages for many of the above tools may be found at
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.]

Also update your virus definitions and then run a full system scan. From
now on, do both daily.

So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
http://boards.cexx.org/viewtopic.php?t=957
--
HTH - Please Reply to This Thread

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP

AumHa Forums
http://forum.aumha.org

What You Should Know About Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/twc/...y/spyware.mspx

Keith Vaughn wrote:
> Windows XP Professional "Error Code: 0x81000370"
> System: DELL INSPIRON 8100
> 1 GHZ Processor
> 512 RAM
> 20 GB Hard-Drive
> 40% FREE
> Operating System: Windows XP SP1A
> Browser: Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1
> MSN Messenger: 6.2
> Recently I found I cannot;
> 1.) Browse / Scan for Updates at windowsupdate.com Cannot find the page
> 2.) Browse hotmail.com so I cannot Login and retrieve Hotmail
> 3.) MSN Messenger 6.2 will not connect displays "Error Code: 0x81000370"
> What I attempted to Fix / resolve this:
> 1st: Full System Scan for Virus w/ McAfee (Latest DAT)
> 2nd: Disabled Anti-Virus
> 3rd: Uninstalled Sygate Firewall 5.5
> 4th: Set I.E. 6.0 back to DEFAULT Settings
> 5th: Lowered Security Settings to LOW
> 6th: Added to TRUSTED SITES;
> microsoft.windowsupdate.com
> hotmail.com
> *Unchecked https:
> 7th: Uninstalled Internet Explorer and Reinstalled Internet Explorer
> 8th: Uninstalled MSN Messenger 6.2 and Reinstalled MSN Messenger 6.2
> 9th: Within Windows XP desktop, I inserted XP CD and "Upgraded" the OS
> 10th: Changed Boot Sequence and Booted to XP OS CD and Selected:
> 1: C\Windows
> "R" for repair the OS, gave admin password and prompt immediately
> changed to:
> C:\Windows
> Not sure what else to do ?
> Attempting to get MSN Messenger going tonite by;
> a.) Open MSN Messenger 6.2
> Select TOOLS
> Select OPTIONS
> General Tab has 4 Boxes CHECKED
> I'm unchecking Boxes: 1, 3, and 4 (Per Msn /Hotmail Telephone Tech
> Support) Any input on how I can restore I.E. 6.0 so as to allow me to
> goto and scan for updates at: windowsupdate.com
> and to login my hotmail.com account is GREATLY Appreciated
> *Note: I can Browse all over the Internet and even Login to my
> Online Bank and CC accounts, "Just" Microsoft related sites
> I can't get to......I can goto the www.microsoft.com site and Browse
> there and goto the Security Pages
> Thank YOU
> Keith Vaughn
> Modesto, CA.

=?Utf-8?B?c3V6aWU=?=

      18th Jul 2004
Keith Im no expert at all but i too had identical probs to yourself last night and this morning, Ive managed to resolve the hotmail and msn groups sign in through help from aol, the only thing that worked was to use keyword 'securefix' through AOL and click OK...hotmail and msn sign in is sorted but still having problems with messenger 6.2 or windows messenger code error 0z81000370...AOL cant help with this unfortunately so I've since written to microsoft with the details of my problem ..this wont help if u aint got AOL tho cause I did do a lot of the solutions u tried first and they didnt work at all.. good luck