Windows XP install unable to retrieve product identification

Michael

      4th Aug 2004
I was reinstalling windows XP over the current install due
to a system crash. After several attempts of repair and
failing I was finally able to get to the system to
reinstall XP without formating the drive. Everything was
working with the installer screen up and running and
copying to the files to the drive when after approximetly
10-20 minutes, the following error appeared.

FATAL ERROR
Setup was unable to retrieve the Product ID because of the
following error. RegOpenKeyEx(System\Setup\Pid) returned
error 2(2).
Setup was unable to retrieve the product Identification of
the system you are installing. The windows XP media may be
damaged.

The disk is virtually undamaged. I could try reformatting
but would prefer not too due to loss of all the programs
and files.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

      4th Aug 2004

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Michael" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message:
news:c1e401c47a24$d8374a50$(E-Mail Removed)...

|I was reinstalling windows XP over the current install due
| to a system crash. After several attempts of repair and
| failing I was finally able to get to the system to
| reinstall XP without formating the drive. Everything was
| working with the installer screen up and running and
| copying to the files to the drive when after approximetly
| 10-20 minutes, the following error appeared.
|
| FATAL ERROR
| Setup was unable to retrieve the Product ID because of the
| following error. RegOpenKeyEx(System\Setup\Pid) returned
| error 2(2).
| Setup was unable to retrieve the product Identification of
| the system you are installing. The windows XP media may be
| damaged.
|
| The disk is virtually undamaged. I could try reformatting
| but would prefer not too due to loss of all the programs
| and files.

Michael

      6th Aug 2004
I went back and tried the guide. However, I was unable to
copy the /repair/ directory files becuase there were none
there. However, deleting the config files allowed me to
reboot and reinstall with little trouble. This may work
for someone else hopefully.