Windows XP (Home) to Win 98

Milt

      25th Nov 2004
I have networked 3 machines through a Netgear router. All three can access
the internet with no problem. On the network places I can see all three
machines from either the XP or 98 machines. I can ping all three machines
with no problem. I can print from the XP machine to the 98 printer but not
from the 98 machines to the XP printer.
I am unable to even get into the XP shared files folder. Get message "Do
not have permission".

I have made sure the firewall is set to accept sharing and printer sharing.

Any assistance would greatly be appreciated.

Milt

Chuck

      25th Nov 2004
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 09:35:12 -0500, "Milt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have networked 3 machines through a Netgear router. All three can access
>the internet with no problem. On the network places I can see all three
>machines from either the XP or 98 machines. I can ping all three machines
>with no problem. I can print from the XP machine to the 98 printer but not
>from the 98 machines to the XP printer.
>I am unable to even get into the XP shared files folder. Get message "Do
>not have permission".
>
>I have made sure the firewall is set to accept sharing and printer sharing.
>
>Any assistance would greatly be appreciated.
>
>Milt

Milt,

Make sure that the Guest account is enabled, on the XP Home computer. Enable
Guest with Start - Run - "cmd", then type "net user guest /active:yes" in the
command window.

The browsers on Win9x and WinNT/2K/XP aren't compatible. Disable the browser
service on the XP Home computer. Control Panel - Administrative Tools -
Services. Verify that the Computer Browser shows with Status = Disabled.
Enable the browser on both Win9x computers - reverse the instructions on this
website.
http://cms.simons-rock.edu/faq_by_subtopic/node138.html

What shared folders on the XP Home computers are you trying to access? Remember
"C:\Program Files", "C:\Windows", and My Documents are reserved (require
administrator access) so you can't access them with Guest (which means you can't
access them thru the network).

More about file sharing, between all different versions of Windows:
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=87c0a6db-aef8-4bef-925e-7ac9be791028&DisplayLang=en>

If no help yet, look at registry key
[HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa], value restrictanonymous, on the
WinXP computer.
<http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/default.asp?url=/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/regentry/46688.asp>
<http://www.jsifaq.com/subf/tip2600/rh2625.htm>
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=246261
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=296403

The above articles refer to Windows 2000. Remember WinXP is NT V5.1, and Win2K
is NT V5.0.

Have you used the Registry Editor before? If not, it's a scary tool, but it's
pretty simple once you get used to it. Here are a couple articles that might
help:
<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?url=/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/tools_regeditors.asp>
<http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/registry>

Just remember to backup the key (create a registry patch) for
[HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa] before making any changes, if
appropriate.

From the Annoyances article:
You can create a Registry patch by opening the Registry Editor, selecting a
branch, and choosing Export from the File menu. Then, specify a filename, and
press OK. You can then view the Registry patch file by opening it in Notepad
(right-click on it and select Edit). Again, just double-click on a Registry
patch file (or use Import in the Registry Editor's File menu) to apply it to the
registry.

--
Cheers,
Chuck