Windows XP Home: Scanner and Camera Control Panel defect: No installed scanner appears - and no scanner works!

tah

      14th Dec 2003
Hello,
no scanner that I have installed - HP 3200C and Canon LIDE 50 - appears in
the scanner and camera control panel - and no scanner works!
There must be missing registry entries - therefore the scanners are not
installed well , and therefore no scanner works!

Is there any possibility to reinstall only the Scanner and Camera Control
Panel and the associated registry entries without new installation of
Windows XP ( which is impossible for me due to more than hundreds installed
programs!!!)??

Has anybody the same experience and found a solution without new
installtion?

Or is there anywhere a registry file (.reg) with all registry entries
concerning the scanner and camera module of Windows XP?

Thank you very much for help!

TAH

Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows Shell/User\)

      14th Dec 2003
The problem is not the wizard. Have you checked the HP and Canon sites for
XP drivers and/or whether or not the respective manufacturer's are
supporting these printers in XP?

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"tah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3fdc0320$0$17573$(E-Mail Removed)-online.net...
> Hello,
> no scanner that I have installed - HP 3200C and Canon LIDE 50 - appears in
> the scanner and camera control panel - and no scanner works!
> There must be missing registry entries - therefore the scanners are not
> installed well , and therefore no scanner works!
>
> Is there any possibility to reinstall only the Scanner and Camera Control
> Panel and the associated registry entries without new installation of
> Windows XP ( which is impossible for me due to more than hundreds

installed
> programs!!!)??
>
> Has anybody the same experience and found a solution without new
> installtion?
>
> Or is there anywhere a registry file (.reg) with all registry entries
> concerning the scanner and camera module of Windows XP?
>
> Thank you very much for help!
>
> TAH

bmoag

      14th Dec 2003
When you plug in your USB scanner is the device recognized by the OS? The
device should be recognized whether drivers are installed or not. You should
see in the control panel/system/hardware manager the name of the device with
a yellow exclamation point. If that is not there then there is some basic
hardware problem with your computer's USB ports or with the basic USB
drivers for the motherboard. Do other USB devices work properly?

If this is a new machine you may need to go into the BIOS to make sure the
USB ports are even activated.

Some USB devices require the drivers to be installed before the device is
plugged into the computer. Read the insructions.

tah

      15th Dec 2003

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The problem is not the wizard. Have you checked the HP and Canon sites

for
> XP drivers and/or whether or not the respective manufacturer's are
> supporting these printers in XP?
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "tah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3fdc0320$0$17573$(E-Mail Removed)-online.net...
> > Hello,
> > no scanner that I have installed - HP 3200C and Canon LIDE 50 - appears

in
> > the scanner and camera control panel - and no scanner works!
> > There must be missing registry entries - therefore the scanners are not
> > installed well , and therefore no scanner works!
> >
> > Is there any possibility to reinstall only the Scanner and Camera

Control
> > Panel and the associated registry entries without new installation of
> > Windows XP ( which is impossible for me due to more than hundreds

> installed
> > programs!!!)??
> >
> > Has anybody the same experience and found a solution without new
> > installtion?
> >
> > Or is there anywhere a registry file (.reg) with all registry entries
> > concerning the scanner and camera module of Windows XP?
> >
> > Thank you very much for help!
> >
> > TAH

I have installed the newest Windows XP drivers.
The problem is that probably the scanner contol panel was destroyed 2 years
ago and I have no possibility to restore the registry.
Therefore I look for a separate installation of the scanner module of
Windows XP without new installation that is impossible for me as long as I
can start Windows XP!

Not before a few says ago I had to find out that the scanner module is
defect.
For this the Windows System Restore is not useful - I can not undo all since
that apart from that I have no system restore point more than 90 days ago
for these reasons!

Thank you for your help!
TAH

tah

      15th Dec 2003

"bmoag" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:aP1Db.39061$(E-Mail Removed)...
> When you plug in your USB scanner is the device recognized by the OS? The
> device should be recognized whether drivers are installed or not. You

should
> see in the control panel/system/hardware manager the name of the device

with
> a yellow exclamation point. If that is not there then there is some basic
> hardware problem with your computer's USB ports or with the basic USB
> drivers for the motherboard. Do other USB devices work properly?
>
> If this is a new machine you may need to go into the BIOS to make sure the
> USB ports are even activated.
>
> Some USB devices require the drivers to be installed before the device is
> plugged into the computer. Read the insructions.

Both the USB scanner form Canon and the old parallel port scanner from HP is
recognized in the device manager - but this it was!
It is a two years old Siemens-Fujitsu PC with a crippled Windows XP, i.e.
only a "Product Recovery CD" for Windows XP from the producer!
The USB scanner from Canon and the parallel port scanner from HP I have
installed before O plugged them into the computer!
Thank you for your help!
TAH

Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows Shell/User\)

      15th Dec 2003
The following assumes you have an actual XP CD as opposed to a restore CD or
restore partition supplied by your PC manufacturer.

Go to Start, type sfc /scannow in the run box and press enter. Note, there
is a space between sfc and the forward slash. You will be asked for your XP
CD. Be aware, upon inserting the CD the XP setup screen may appear, this is
not a part of sfc /scannow, rather it is being invoked by autorun. Simply
minimize the screen and allow sfc to continue.

If the above fails to resolve the issue, try a repair install as follows:

Be sure you are well backed up in case there is a problem from which you are
unable to recover. NOTE, while a repair install should leave your data
files intact, if something goes wrong during the repair install, you may be
forced to start over and do a clean install of XP. If you don't have your
data backed up, you would lose your data should that eventuality occur.

Boot from the CD. If your system is set to be able to boot from the CD, it
should detect the disk and give a brief message, during the boot up, if you
wish to boot from the CD press any key.

Once you have pressed a key, setup should begin. You will see a reference
asking if you need to load special drivers and another notice that if you
wish to begin the ASR (Automatic Recovery Console) depress F2. Just let
setup run past all of that. It will continue to load files and drivers.

Then it will bring you to a screen. Eventually, you will come to a screen
with the option to (1) setup Windows or (2) Repair Windows Installation
using the Recovery console.

The first option, to setup Windows is the one you want and requires you to
press enter. When asked, press F8 to accept the end user agreement. Setup
will then search for previous versions of Windows. Upon finding your
version, it will ask if you wish to Repair your current installation or
install fresh. Press R, that will run a repair installation. From there
on, follow the screens.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

"tah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3fdd569f$0$17566$(E-Mail Removed)-online.net...

> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com> schrieb im
> Newsbeitrag news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The problem is not the wizard. Have you checked the HP and Canon sites

> for
> > XP drivers and/or whether or not the respective manufacturer's are
> > supporting these printers in XP?
> >
> > --
> > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> > Windows Shell/User
> > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
> >
> > "tah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:3fdc0320$0$17573$(E-Mail Removed)-online.net...
> > > Hello,
> > > no scanner that I have installed - HP 3200C and Canon LIDE 50 -

appears
> in
> > > the scanner and camera control panel - and no scanner works!
> > > There must be missing registry entries - therefore the scanners are

not
> > > installed well , and therefore no scanner works!
> > >
> > > Is there any possibility to reinstall only the Scanner and Camera

> Control
> > > Panel and the associated registry entries without new installation of
> > > Windows XP ( which is impossible for me due to more than hundreds

> > installed
> > > programs!!!)??
> > >
> > > Has anybody the same experience and found a solution without new
> > > installtion?
> > >
> > > Or is there anywhere a registry file (.reg) with all registry entries
> > > concerning the scanner and camera module of Windows XP?
> > >
> > > Thank you very much for help!
> > >
> > > TAH
> > >

> I have installed the newest Windows XP drivers.
> The problem is that probably the scanner contol panel was destroyed 2

years
> ago and I have no possibility to restore the registry.
> Therefore I look for a separate installation of the scanner module of
> Windows XP without new installation that is impossible for me as long as I
> can start Windows XP!
>
> Not before a few says ago I had to find out that the scanner module is
> defect.
> For this the Windows System Restore is not useful - I can not undo all

since
> that apart from that I have no system restore point more than 90 days ago
> for these reasons!
>
> Thank you for your help!
> TAH

Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows Shell/User\)

      15th Dec 2003
Sorry, I didn't see your other post in this thread before I suggested SFC or
a Repair Install.

You could purchase an actual XP CD, then, not only would you have additional
tools now you would have them in the future as well.

Failing that, the "module" as you put it is not stand alone and is not
available that way. It is a fully integrated component and the only way to
restore it aside from a fresh install would be to attempt to use System File
Checker (SFC as I've outlined my other post) or a repair install, both of
which are foreclosed to you with only a recovery CD.