Windows XP could not repair my connection

Rich

      4th May 2009

I am using Windows XP. I am using cable modem.

My cable modem stopped working on XP. Here is what I did.

I tried to repair my network connection. So I click on "repair this
connection" and got the following message:

"Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following
action cannot be completed:

Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connections. Can not Proceed."

What does it mean. How can I fix the problem.

Ben M. Schorr - MVP (OneNote)

      4th May 2009
Also did you try restarting your cable modem?

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP

news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I am using Windows XP. I am using cable modem.
>
> My cable modem stopped working on XP. Here is what I did.
>
> I tried to repair my network connection. So I click on "repair this
> connection" and got the following message:
>
> "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following
> action cannot be completed:
>
> Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connections. Can not Proceed."
>
> What does it mean. How can I fix the problem.

Jack [MVP-Networking]

      4th May 2009
Hi
That usually means that the TCP/IP can not obtain a valid IP number from the
DHCP sever.
That can happened due to problem with the Internet/Modem, or your PC.
It is very hard to find the cause if you have single computer attached to
directly to a Modem.
Call your ISP to make sure that their part of the Network is working
correctly.
P.S. You should consider installing a Cable/DSL Router even if you have only
one computer.
It provides better stable Internet service, Greatly Enhanced Security, and
make it easier to "fix" that system when something goes wrong.
Example for such inexpensive Router,
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

> I am using Windows XP. I am using cable modem.
>
> My cable modem stopped working on XP. Here is what I did.
>
> I tried to repair my network connection. So I click on "repair this
> connection" and got the following message:
>
> "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following
> action cannot be completed:
>
> Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connections. Can not Proceed."
>
> What does it mean. How can I fix the problem.

Rich

      7th May 2009
On May 4, 11:01*am, "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Hi
> That usually means that the TCP/IP can not obtain a valid IP number from the
> DHCP sever.
> That can happened due to problem with the Internet/Modem, or your PC.
> It is very hard to find the cause if you have single computer attached to
> directly to a Modem.
> Call your ISP to make sure that their part of the Network is working
> correctly.
> P.S. You should consider installing a Cable/DSL Router even if you have only
> one computer.
> It provides better stable Internet service, Greatly Enhanced Security, and
> make it easier to "fix" that system when something goes wrong.
> Example for such inexpensive Router,http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833156001
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > I am using *Windows XP. I am using cable modem.

> > My cable modem stopped working on XP. Here is what I did.

> > I tried to repair my network connection. So I click on "repair this
> > connection" and got the following message:

> > "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following
> > action cannot be completed:

> > Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connections. Can not Proceed."

> > What does it mean. How can I fix the problem.

Thanks for the response.

I have rebooted and the cable company checked my connection. The
connection is good.

What else can I do.

smlunatick

      7th May 2009
On May 7, 5:31*am, Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On May 4, 11:01*am, "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> > Hi
> > That usually means that the TCP/IP can not obtain a valid IP number from the
> > DHCP sever.
> > That can happened due to problem with the Internet/Modem, or your PC.
> > It is very hard to find the cause if you have single computer attached to
> > directly to a Modem.
> > Call your ISP to make sure that their part of the Network is working
> > correctly.
> > P.S. You should consider installing a Cable/DSL Router even if you haveonly
> > one computer.
> > It provides better stable Internet service, Greatly Enhanced Security, and
> > make it easier to "fix" that system when something goes wrong.
> > Example for such inexpensive Router,http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833156001
> > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

> > "Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >news:(E-Mail Removed)....

> > > I am using *Windows XP. I am using cable modem.

> > > My cable modem stopped working on XP. Here is what I did.

> > > I tried to repair my network connection. So I click on "repair this
> > > connection" and got the following message:

> > > "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following
> > > action cannot be completed:

> > > Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connections. Can not Proceed."

> > > What does it mean. How can I fix the problem.

> Thanks for the response.
>
> I have rebooted and the cable company checked my connection. The
> connection is good.
>
> What else can I do.

Check any / all anti-virus or firewall software. I have seen some
third party Internet security package that blocks a lot more than one
would believe.

tony from hong kong

      12th May 2009
I used to have the problem some time ago. Instead of "repair", first
"disable" then "enable" the connection usually worked for me.

"Rich" wrote:

> I am using Windows XP. I am using cable modem.
>
> My cable modem stopped working on XP. Here is what I did.
>
> I tried to repair my network connection. So I click on "repair this
> connection" and got the following message:
>
> "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following
> action cannot be completed:
>
> Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connections. Can not Proceed."
>
> What does it mean. How can I fix the problem.

takeabyte

      18th May 2009
Same issue here but my Mac woks fine without having to reset the modem and
router at all. I am doing the SP3 update on the PC that can't connect right
now. Also I have disabled all anti-virus, firewall, spyware, etc. with no
luck. Finally I have tried reinstalling all of the drivers for this HP.

I will post an update if SP3 for XP works or not, but if it's not the
anti-virus/firewall software and it's not the modem/router what could it be?
(beside being a PC! lol jk)