Windows XP Cannot delete some items pinned to Start Menu

Michael Nowatney

      23rd Apr 2008
I currently have four non-existent (deleted) items pinned to my Start menu in
Windows XP: a .txt file, two Word documents, and an Excel spreadsheet. Every
time I right click and select "Remove from This List", nothing happens. If I
click on them, I get "The item you have selected is unavailable ... do you
want to remove it?" and I select Yes and nothing happens. Frequently, when I
click on "Start", I get "Some items cannot be shown. There is not enough
room to show all the items you have added to the start menu..."

How do I get rid of these four items, but continue to display the pinned
items that I do want?
--
Michael

Byte

      23rd Apr 2008
You probably have checked "Pin to Start Menu" checked on these
four items. Uncheck them and they should delete.
--
XP - WNP
Today is the first day of the

"Michael Nowatney" wrote:

> I currently have four non-existent (deleted) items pinned to my Start menu in
> Windows XP: a .txt file, two Word documents, and an Excel spreadsheet. Every
> time I right click and select "Remove from This List", nothing happens. If I
> click on them, I get "The item you have selected is unavailable ... do you
> want to remove it?" and I select Yes and nothing happens. Frequently, when I
> click on "Start", I get "Some items cannot be shown. There is not enough
> room to show all the items you have added to the start menu..."
>
> How do I get rid of these four items, but continue to display the pinned
> items that I do want?
> --
> Michael

nass

      23rd Apr 2008

"Michael Nowatney" wrote:

> I currently have four non-existent (deleted) items pinned to my Start menu in
> Windows XP: a .txt file, two Word documents, and an Excel spreadsheet. Every
> time I right click and select "Remove from This List", nothing happens. If I
> click on them, I get "The item you have selected is unavailable ... do you
> want to remove it?" and I select Yes and nothing happens. Frequently, when I
> click on "Start", I get "Some items cannot be shown. There is not enough
> room to show all the items you have added to the start menu..."
>
> How do I get rid of these four items, but continue to display the pinned
> items that I do want?
> --
> Michael

You can clear the history of the start menu list or Unpin them by right
click and make sure the Pin to start menu is not active.
HTH.
nass
---
http://www.nasstec.co.uk

Michael Nowatney

      24th Apr 2008
Thank you for your post. However, Every time I right click and select

"nass" wrote:

> "Michael Nowatney" wrote:
>
> > I currently have four non-existent (deleted) items pinned to my Start menu in
> > Windows XP: a .txt file, two Word documents, and an Excel spreadsheet. Every
> > time I right click and select "Remove from This List", nothing happens. If I
> > click on them, I get "The item you have selected is unavailable ... do you
> > want to remove it?" and I select Yes and nothing happens. Frequently, when I
> > click on "Start", I get "Some items cannot be shown. There is not enough
> > room to show all the items you have added to the start menu..."
> >
> > How do I get rid of these four items, but continue to display the pinned
> > items that I do want?
> > --
> > Michael

> You can clear the history of the start menu list or Unpin them by right
> click and make sure the Pin to start menu is not active.
> HTH.
> nass
> ---
> http://www.nasstec.co.uk

JF

      24th Apr 2008
*Bonjour Michael Nowatney* !
<news:(E-Mail Removed)>

> Every time I right click and select
> "Remove from This List", nothing happens.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartPage
Suppress Favorites value
Restart

Precaution using regedit :
- make a restore point
- export the key before modifying
- best of all : use Erunt www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt

--

Salutations, Jean-François.

Michael Nowatney

      24th Apr 2008
Yes! Yes! That's it! Brilliant!

THANK YOU!
--
Michael

"JF" wrote:

> *Bonjour Michael Nowatney* !
> <news:(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> > Every time I right click and select
> > "Remove from This List", nothing happens.

> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartPage
> Suppress Favorites value
> Restart
>
> Precaution using regedit :
> - make a restore point
> - export the key before modifying
> - best of all : use Erunt www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt
>
> --
>
> Salutations, Jean-François.

JF

      24th Apr 2008
>>> Every time I right click and select
>>> "Remove from This List", nothing happens.

>> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartPage
>> Suppress Favorites value
>> Restart

> Yes! Yes! That's it! Brilliant!
> THANK YOU!

You're welcome.
Thanks for the feedback and have a nice day !

--

Salutations, Jean-François.

nass

      24th Apr 2008

Hi Michael,
I meant right click the start button and select properties >> Start Menu Tab
>> then click Customize and then clear the history list.

But Glad Jean did give you a registry Option and it helped.
Good luck.

"Michael Nowatney" wrote:

> Thank you for your post. However, Every time I right click and select
> "Remove from This List", nothing happens.
> --
> Michael
>

> "nass" wrote:
>

> > "Michael Nowatney" wrote:
> >
> > > I currently have four non-existent (deleted) items pinned to my Start menu in
> > > Windows XP: a .txt file, two Word documents, and an Excel spreadsheet. Every
> > > time I right click and select "Remove from This List", nothing happens. If I
> > > click on them, I get "The item you have selected is unavailable ... do you
> > > want to remove it?" and I select Yes and nothing happens. Frequently, when I
> > > click on "Start", I get "Some items cannot be shown. There is not enough
> > > room to show all the items you have added to the start menu..."
> > >
> > > How do I get rid of these four items, but continue to display the pinned
> > > items that I do want?
> > > --
> > > Michael

> > You can clear the history of the start menu list or Unpin them by right
> > click and make sure the Pin to start menu is not active.
> > HTH.
> > nass
> > ---
> > http://www.nasstec.co.uk

New Member

      10th May 2009
Re the recommendation from Jean-François (below) could someone please tell me what exactly "Suppress Favorites Value" means? Should I delete the entry, change the Value, etc.? Thank you.