Windows XP and 64GB flash drives

Daniel Prince

      20th Aug 2012
Someone told me that Windows XP will not work with 64GB flash
drives. Is that true? Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
When I am in the kitchen, I often kick one of my cat's balls.
After I kick it, he will sometimes play with it for a few

R.Wieser

      20th Aug 2012
Daniel,

The problem seems to lie in the fact that XP cannot *format* a drive larger
than 32 GB.

Funnily enough w98 had no problems with that, but that one FDISK could not
handle such a large storage ...

See what MS says about it here :
http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;Q314463&

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

-- Origional message:
Daniel Prince <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in berichtnieuws
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed)...
> Someone told me that Windows XP will not work with 64GB flash
> drives. Is that true? Thank you in advance for all replies.
> --
> When I am in the kitchen, I often kick one of my cat's balls.
> After I kick it, he will sometimes play with it for a few
> seconds to several minutes. His favorite are the ones that
> rattle. He'll play with any ball that makes noise.

Arno

      20th Aug 2012

If it is not pre-formatted, you can either paritition the
64GB drive or format it with something else, e.g. a Linux
life-CD. While XP cannot format larger than 32GB it has
no trouble using them when formatted.

Chances are that a new 65GB flash drive is formatted
with VFAT and works with XP.

Arno

R.Wieser <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Daniel,

> The problem seems to lie in the fact that XP cannot *format* a drive larger
> than 32 GB.

> Funnily enough w98 had no problems with that, but that one FDISK could not
> handle such a large storage ...

> See what MS says about it here :
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;Q314463&

> Regards,
> Rudy Wieser

> -- Origional message:
> Daniel Prince <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in berichtnieuws
> (E-Mail Removed)...
>> Someone told me that Windows XP will not work with 64GB flash
>> drives. Is that true? Thank you in advance for all replies.
>> --
>> When I am in the kitchen, I often kick one of my cat's balls.
>> After I kick it, he will sometimes play with it for a few
>> seconds to several minutes. His favorite are the ones that
>> rattle. He'll play with any ball that makes noise.

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: (E-Mail Removed)
----

GMAN

      20th Aug 2012
In article <50324142$0$6919$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl>, "R.Wieser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Daniel,
>
> The problem seems to lie in the fact that XP cannot *format* a drive larger
>than 32 GB.

Not true, it just cannot format (Without a third party app) using FAT32. I
have formatted a 64GB flash drive repeatedly on Windows XP Pro SP3 both with
NTFS or using a 3rd party app in FAT32 for use in an old media player.

>Funnily enough w98 had no problems with that, but that one FDISK could not
>handle such a large storage ...
>
>See what MS says about it here :
>http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;Q314463&
>
>Regards,
>Rudy Wieser
>

>-- Origional message:
>Daniel Prince <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in berichtnieuws
>(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Someone told me that Windows XP will not work with 64GB flash
>> drives. Is that true? Thank you in advance for all replies.
>> --
>> When I am in the kitchen, I often kick one of my cat's balls.
>> After I kick it, he will sometimes play with it for a few
>> seconds to several minutes. His favorite are the ones that
>> rattle. He'll play with any ball that makes noise.

R.Wieser

      20th Aug 2012
GMAN,

My apologies, I should have been more clear in the specifics of it.

Luckily I provided a link to an MS webpage with all the details .... :-)

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

-- Origional message:
GMAN <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in berichtnieuws
A6uYr.409535$(E-Mail Removed)1.easynews.com...

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Daniel,
> >
> > The problem seems to lie in the fact that XP cannot *format* a drive

larger
> >than 32 GB.

> Not true, it just cannot format (Without a third party app) using FAT32. I
> have formatted a 64GB flash drive repeatedly on Windows XP Pro SP3 both

with
> NTFS or using a 3rd party app in FAT32 for use in an old media player.
>

> >Funnily enough w98 had no problems with that, but that one FDISK could

not
> >handle such a large storage ...
> >
> >See what MS says about it here :
> >http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;Q314463&
> >
> >Regards,
> >Rudy Wieser
> >

> >-- Origional message:
> >Daniel Prince <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in berichtnieuws
> >(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Someone told me that Windows XP will not work with 64GB flash
> >> drives. Is that true? Thank you in advance for all replies.
> >> --
> >> When I am in the kitchen, I often kick one of my cat's balls.
> >> After I kick it, he will sometimes play with it for a few
> >> seconds to several minutes. His favorite are the ones that
> >> rattle. He'll play with any ball that makes noise.

Joseph Terner

      21st Aug 2012
On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 05:46:55 -0700, Daniel Prince wrote:

> Someone told me that Windows XP will not work with 64GB flash drives.
> Is that true? Thank you in advance for all replies.

It works after installing the Exfat IFS driver (KB955704) via Windows
Update.

Joseph

R.Wieser

      21st Aug 2012
Joseph,

From the MS webpage to that update:

"The exFAT file system is the *successor* to FAT32 in the FAT family of file
systems"

That could mean that exFAT is only usable on other machines having that
patch. It would be a good idea to check ....

Also read other posts here: Although XP cannot format drives larger than 32
GB with FAT32 there are other programs (including w98's FORMAT) which does
not have that limitation.

Regards
Rudy Wieser

-- Origional message:
Joseph Terner <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in berichtnieuws
(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 05:46:55 -0700, Daniel Prince wrote:
>
> > Someone told me that Windows XP will not work with 64GB flash drives.
> > Is that true? Thank you in advance for all replies.

> It works after installing the Exfat IFS driver (KB955704) via Windows
> Update.
>
> Joseph

R.Wieser

      21st Aug 2012
Vanguard,

> The format command in Windows XP won't *create*
> a FAT32 partition larger than 32GB in size;

FORMAT does not *create* such a partition, FDISK(/the equivalent on XP)
does.

> that doesn't preclude you from using 3rd party partition
> managers to enlarge that partition to encompass the rest
> of the available free space on the device

The other way around I'm afraid. Parititioning on an XP machine will
succeede, its the formatting that needs to be done either by a third-party
program or somewhere else.

Regards,
Rudy Wieser

-- Origional message:
VanguardLH <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in berichtnieuws
k0ufnb$cn9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "R.Wieser" wrote:
>
> > The problem seems to lie in the fact that XP cannot *format* a drive

larger
> > than 32 GB.

> That's a limitation of formatting using FAT32 on the flash drive. The
> format command in Windows XP won't *create* a FAT32 partition larger
> than 32GB in size; however, that doesn't preclude you from using 3rd
> party partition managers to enlarge that partition to encompass the rest
> of the available free space on the device. Even if you create and then
> enlarge a FAT32 partition, you will still have the limit of 4GB for the
> maximum size of a file.
>
> If you convert to NTFS then there is no such limit. If you format as an
> NTFS partition on the flash drive, there isn't the 32GB limitation.
> Under NTFS, you also won't incur the 4GB maximum size for a file.
>
> http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/format-usb-drive/

GMAN

      21st Aug 2012
In article <503270e6$0$6958$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl>, "R.Wieser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>GMAN,
>
>My apologies, I should have been more clear in the specifics of it.
>
>Luckily I provided a link to an MS webpage with all the details .... :-)
>
>Regards,
>Rudy Wieser

Hey, no need to appologise, we are all here to put our 2 cents in and help
eachother.

GMAN

      21st Aug 2012
In article <k0ufnb$cn9$(E-Mail Removed)>, VanguardLH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"R.Wieser" wrote:
>
>> The problem seems to lie in the fact that XP cannot *format* a drive larger
>> than 32 GB.

>That's a limitation of formatting using FAT32 on the flash drive. The
>format command in Windows XP won't *create* a FAT32 partition larger
>than 32GB in size; however, that doesn't preclude you from using 3rd
>party partition managers to enlarge that partition to encompass the rest
>of the available free space on the device. Even if you create and then
>enlarge a FAT32 partition, you will still have the limit of 4GB for the
>maximum size of a file.
>
>If you convert to NTFS then there is no such limit. If you format as an
>NTFS partition on the flash drive, there isn't the 32GB limitation.
>Under NTFS, you also won't incur the 4GB maximum size for a file.
>
>http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/format-usb-drive/

Exactly, so basically if you are going to use that flash drive on any system
Xp or newer, you might as well format it NTFS