Windows Vista Network Connection Problem

Tom

      29th Mar 2008
Alright. This issue is driving me crazy and I do not know how to fix it.

My Desktop Windows Vista machine will not connect to the network. My router
(Apple Airport Extreme) works fine and I can connect with my Macbook (macbook
booting Vista) and my other Vista laptop. These connections are wireless. My
desktop is wired to the router.

My motherboard is an Asus Striker Extreme with two Gigabit ethernet ports. I
have one disabled currently. Neither of the ports will connect to the network
and they are both giving me the same type of error... making me think that
this is software. Also, my PC worked fine the other day and then just began
to not connect in the middle of nowhere.

Problem: Network adapters are stuck identifying network - local only. I pull
Ipconfig and get that their IPv4 is set to 169.254.104.31(Preferred). Subnet
mask is 255.255.0.0. I also found that I have three tunnel adapters for some
reason. I have tried to create static IPs with both adapters, create my own
subnet with both of them, I have tried to renew IP, release IP, delete &
reinstall the adapters, reboot the PC many times, take each adapter out of
BIOS individually, shut one down and work on them individually, try to have
Vista repair the connections to absolutely no avail. I am frustrated and hope
that someone out there can help me with this.

This must be a software problem considering that the light on back of my
motherboard ports are finding the router (one blinking orange and the connect
a steady green).

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated

MrStan

      29th Mar 2008
I have a similar problem with this motherboard and Vista. Microsoft changed a
Braodcast flag within the TCP stack in Vista and appears that whem the
machine starts up it checks the network. If it cannot get a quick reply it
disables the tcp stack and you get no network although the router and machine
show a hardware connection. Seems that my agged Netgear Router doesn't like
this Flag set and often, but no always, replies too late.

The solution is in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us although I
believe that Microsoft may have changed the key name in SP1 as I used to use
the key DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag but after SP1 I had to follow the KB
article.

Might be worth a try.

"Tom" wrote:

> Alright. This issue is driving me crazy and I do not know how to fix it.
>
> My Desktop Windows Vista machine will not connect to the network. My router
> (Apple Airport Extreme) works fine and I can connect with my Macbook (macbook
> booting Vista) and my other Vista laptop. These connections are wireless. My
> desktop is wired to the router.
>
> My motherboard is an Asus Striker Extreme with two Gigabit ethernet ports. I
> have one disabled currently. Neither of the ports will connect to the network
> and they are both giving me the same type of error... making me think that
> this is software. Also, my PC worked fine the other day and then just began
> to not connect in the middle of nowhere.
>
> Problem: Network adapters are stuck identifying network - local only. I pull
> Ipconfig and get that their IPv4 is set to 169.254.104.31(Preferred). Subnet
> mask is 255.255.0.0. I also found that I have three tunnel adapters for some
> reason. I have tried to create static IPs with both adapters, create my own
> subnet with both of them, I have tried to renew IP, release IP, delete &
> reinstall the adapters, reboot the PC many times, take each adapter out of
> BIOS individually, shut one down and work on them individually, try to have
> Vista repair the connections to absolutely no avail. I am frustrated and hope
> that someone out there can help me with this.
>
> This must be a software problem considering that the light on back of my
> motherboard ports are finding the router (one blinking orange and the connect
> a steady green).
>
> Any help will be GREATLY appreciated

genius156iq

      9th Apr 2008
Attn Striker Extreme owners. Ok I have had the same issue and i have found a
fix but...........you must
1: Use at your own risk
2: follow instructions exactly
it looks like this is a bios issue guys! the 1503 bios is junk it will work
for a while then pow it will not grab an ip address go to
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...age=1&count=52
and download bios 1504 from here
http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/view.php?id=453538&da=y

Save to a usb thumb drive
Then boot up your Striker Extreme press the del key go into tools then go to
ez flash & find your thumb drive and update to 1504.

********VERY IMPORTANT***********
YOU MUST NOT LOAD YOUR SETTING FROM THE PROFILES IF YOU DO THE BIOS WILL
BRICK AND YOULL BE STUCK OPENING YOUR CASE AND MOVING THE BIOS RESET JUMPER
AND PRESSING RESET CMOS.

I dont know why this is but i had to reset my bios 3 time b 4 i figured that
out. write down all of your setting by hand.
once you do all of this restart and if you have a raid setup change the
settings in bios again to reflect raid and boot again (for those of you who
have neverf done this before (flash bios) follow instructions very carfuly
good luck

And happy networking!
"Tom" wrote:

> Alright. This issue is driving me crazy and I do not know how to fix it.
>
> My Desktop Windows Vista machine will not connect to the network. My router
> (Apple Airport Extreme) works fine and I can connect with my Macbook (macbook
> booting Vista) and my other Vista laptop. These connections are wireless. My
> desktop is wired to the router.
>
> My motherboard is an Asus Striker Extreme with two Gigabit ethernet ports. I
> have one disabled currently. Neither of the ports will connect to the network
> and they are both giving me the same type of error... making me think that
> this is software. Also, my PC worked fine the other day and then just began
> to not connect in the middle of nowhere.
>
> Problem: Network adapters are stuck identifying network - local only. I pull
> Ipconfig and get that their IPv4 is set to 169.254.104.31(Preferred). Subnet
> mask is 255.255.0.0. I also found that I have three tunnel adapters for some
> reason. I have tried to create static IPs with both adapters, create my own
> subnet with both of them, I have tried to renew IP, release IP, delete &
> reinstall the adapters, reboot the PC many times, take each adapter out of
> BIOS individually, shut one down and work on them individually, try to have
> Vista repair the connections to absolutely no avail. I am frustrated and hope
> that someone out there can help me with this.
>
> This must be a software problem considering that the light on back of my
> motherboard ports are finding the router (one blinking orange and the connect
> a steady green).
>
> Any help will be GREATLY appreciated

ianthebrain

      9th Apr 2008
hello tom, i'm having the same problem, just downloaded 1504 and entered ez
flash, and i clicked enter on 1504.bin but it said 'file size does not match
exisitng file size!' what does this mean and how can i make it flash :S?
please help thanks, ian