Windows Update thinks I have Office 2007

bill allemann

      5th Feb 2009
Apparently the user started to download a free Office 2007 viewer so they
could view a docx file. The process was cancelled at some point and I can't
see any evidence of the software being installed.
Now the Windows Update gadget thinks the machine has Office2007 and wants to
do all kinds of updates.
I've searched for "Office 2007" and a couple variations in the registry, but
can't find anything.
Any ideas how to eliminate the "presence" of Office 2007 on this machine?
Thanks,
Bill

bill allemann

      6th Feb 2009
Installing & removing the Compatibility Pack did the trick.
Thanks
Bill

"DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
news:OWKD$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Maybe install the Compatibility pack, reboot, then unistall it

Alan Edwards

      6th Feb 2009
It doesn't appear bogus to me.
The Subject check box shows in View-Choose Details.
Perhaps you glossed over that important part?

....Alan
http://dts-l.com/index.htm

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 17:01:57 -0600, in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics, "bill allemann"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>That KB article looked promising at first, but right out of the gate, the
>procedures mentioned check boxes for "Subject" and other references to
>showing "Subject" in views and menus. Unfortunately, "Subject" does not
>appear anywhere, so apparently the procedure is bogus.
>
>bill
>

>"DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
>news:OWKD$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Maybe install the Compatibility pack, reboot, then unistall it
>>
>> You might want to refer to this KB on manual removal of Office 2007, you
>> could then examine the various reg entries that 2007 uses, to see if any
>> are present
>>
>> "bill allemann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Apparently the user started to download a free Office 2007 viewer so they
>>> could view a docx file. The process was cancelled at some point and I
>>> can't see any evidence of the software being installed.
>>> Now the Windows Update gadget thinks the machine has Office2007 and wants
>>> to do all kinds of updates.
>>> I've searched for "Office 2007" and a couple variations in the registry,
>>> but can't find anything.
>>> Any ideas how to eliminate the "presence" of Office 2007 on this machine?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bill

DL

      6th Feb 2009