Windows Update Hangs Windows 2000

=?Utf-8?B?TGF1cmE=?=

      26th Feb 2006
I cannot access windows update manually. I have it set to automatic updates
- sometimes they come through and sometimes they don't. I can't even access
the microsoft.com website. The page just sits there. It does the same thing
when I try to get to microsoft updates as well windows updates. I end up
using the task manager (which tells me the program is running) to close the
window. Help!

Maurice N ~ MVP

      5th Mar 2006
How far (or how much do you see) do you get after you access Windows Update manually.

You are highly encouraged to look at the contents of your Windows Update log.

Use Wordpad and open & look at the Windows Update log file
C:\WINNT\WindowsUpdate.log

(If your system has never been upgraded to V6 of Windows Update, your log file would be named "Windows update.log" (space after windows)
Scroll down all the way. Get / copy / paste (ideally, put into a file & attach in reply back here) the set of lines for (today's ) the last session.

Other things to check: insure this pc is free of malware & viruses. Some of those will block access to Windows Update.
--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User