PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Windows was unable to open service WdiServiceHost for writing on local computer

 
 
Black Baptist
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      19th Feb 2009
Anyone know a fix for the error Windows was unable to open service
WdiServiceHost for writing on local computer
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Rick Rogers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      20th Feb 2009
Hi,

It may be the service itself or a missing dependency. Normally, this service
is not set to start automatically but rather manually (on demand). Run
services.msc from the start/search line and scroll down to the Diagnostic
Service Host. Double click it and check the settings to ensure it's set for
manual. On the Recovery tab, you may want to set the first failure option to
restart the service.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

"Black Baptist" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone know a fix for the error Windows was unable to open service
> WdiServiceHost for writing on local computer


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Black Baptist
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      20th Feb 2009
It's set to manual and has no dependencys also the start stop buttons
are greyed out the recovery tab gives this error Windows was unable to
open service WdiServiceHost for writing on local computer.

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 06:32:47 -0500, "Rick Rogers" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>It may be the service itself or a missing dependency. Normally, this service
>is not set to start automatically but rather manually (on demand). Run
>services.msc from the start/search line and scroll down to the Diagnostic
>Service Host. Double click it and check the settings to ensure it's set for
>manual. On the Recovery tab, you may want to set the first failure option to
>restart the service.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Black Baptist
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      20th Feb 2009

Followup I get this in eventviewer The Diagnostic Service Host service
failed to start due to the following error:
A privilege that the service requires to function properly does not
exist in the service account configuration. You may use the Services
Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in (services.msc) and the
Local Security Settings MMC snap-in (secpol.msc) to view the service
configuration and the account configuration.

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 06:32:47 -0500, "Rick Rogers" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>It may be the service itself or a missing dependency. Normally, this service
>is not set to start automatically but rather manually (on demand). Run
>services.msc from the start/search line and scroll down to the Diagnostic
>Service Host. Double click it and check the settings to ensure it's set for
>manual. On the Recovery tab, you may want to set the first failure option to
>restart the service.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Rick Rogers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      21st Feb 2009
What account shows as being used on the logon tab of the service's
properties? It should be Local Service - have you disabled any of the system
accounts?

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

"Black Baptist" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Followup I get this in eventviewer The Diagnostic Service Host service
> failed to start due to the following error:
> A privilege that the service requires to function properly does not
> exist in the service account configuration. You may use the Services
> Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in (services.msc) and the
> Local Security Settings MMC snap-in (secpol.msc) to view the service
> configuration and the account configuration.
>
> On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 06:32:47 -0500, "Rick Rogers" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>It may be the service itself or a missing dependency. Normally, this
>>service
>>is not set to start automatically but rather manually (on demand). Run
>>services.msc from the start/search line and scroll down to the Diagnostic
>>Service Host. Double click it and check the settings to ensure it's set
>>for
>>manual. On the Recovery tab, you may want to set the first failure option
>>to
>>restart the service.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Black Baptist
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      21st Feb 2009
On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 20:25:43 -0500, "Rick Rogers" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>What account shows as being used on the logon tab of the service's
>properties? It should be Local Service - have you disabled any of the system
>accounts?


It is Local Service and I haven't disabled any accounts. I think I'm
missing a file/folder for it.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Black Baptist
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      21st Feb 2009
On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 20:25:43 -0500, "Rick Rogers" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>What account shows as being used on the logon tab of the service's
>properties? It should be Local Service - have you disabled any of the system
>accounts?


I deleted the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WdiServiceHost\Security
key and the start button is no longer gryed out but I now get this
error when I click the start button...
 
Reply With Quote
 
Rick Rogers
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      21st Feb 2009
Why did you delete that?

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

"Black Baptist" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 20:25:43 -0500, "Rick Rogers" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>What account shows as being used on the logon tab of the service's
>>properties? It should be Local Service - have you disabled any of the
>>system
>>accounts?

>
> I deleted the
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WdiServiceHost\Security
> key and the start button is no longer gryed out but I now get this
> error when I click the start button...


 
Reply With Quote
 
Black Baptist
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      21st Feb 2009
To get the start stop buttons to stop being greyed out. I put it back
though because it didn't help.

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 16:11:44 -0500, "Rick Rogers" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Why did you delete that?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Goldhamer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      9th Oct 2010
this is related to
Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assignment \ Profile System Performance

and the WdiServiceHost acccount

and there is commentary in:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2000705/en-us

relate to SID
*S-1-5-32-544

In our case we were enforcing what accounts could do things and Windows 7 has one more account that needs to be able to have permission.....but it isn't easy to get it back in there if you ever stripped it out.

Sorry this is cryptic, but our solution hasn't been implemented yet.

> On Thursday, February 19, 2009 2:14 PM Black Baptist wrote:


> Anyone know a fix for the error Windows was unable to open service
> WdiServiceHost for writing on local computer



>> On Friday, February 20, 2009 6:32 AM Rick Rogers wrote:


>> Hi,
>>
>> It may be the service itself or a missing dependency. Normally, this service
>> is not set to start automatically but rather manually (on demand). Run
>> services.msc from the start/search line and scroll down to the Diagnostic
>> Service Host. Double click it and check the settings to ensure it's set for
>> manual. On the Recovery tab, you may want to set the first failure option to
>> restart the service.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,
>>
>> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>>
>> "Black Baptist" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...



>>> On Friday, February 20, 2009 11:05 AM Black Baptist wrote:


>>> It's set to manual and has no dependencys also the start stop buttons
>>> are greyed out the recovery tab gives this error Windows was unable to
>>> open service WdiServiceHost for writing on local computer.
>>>
>>> On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 06:32:47 -0500, "Rick Rogers" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> wrote:



>>>> On Friday, February 20, 2009 11:40 AM Black Baptist wrote:


>>>> Followup I get this in eventviewer The Diagnostic Service Host service
>>>> failed to start due to the following error:
>>>> A privilege that the service requires to function properly does not
>>>> exist in the service account configuration. You may use the Services
>>>> Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in (services.msc) and the
>>>> Local Security Settings MMC snap-in (secpol.msc) to view the service
>>>> configuration and the account configuration.
>>>>
>>>> On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 06:32:47 -0500, "Rick Rogers" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>>> wrote:



>>>>> On Friday, February 20, 2009 8:25 PM Rick Rogers wrote:


>>>>> What account shows as being used on the logon tab of the service's
>>>>> properties? It should be Local Service - have you disabled any of the system
>>>>> accounts?
>>>>>
>>>>> --
>>>>> Best of Luck,
>>>>>
>>>>> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
>>>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>>>> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
>>>>>
>>>>> "Black Baptist" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...



>>>>>> On Saturday, February 21, 2009 11:10 AM Black Baptist wrote:


>>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> It is Local Service and I have not disabled any accounts. I think I am
>>>>>> missing a file/folder for it.



>>>>>>> On Saturday, February 21, 2009 11:15 AM Black Baptist wrote:


>>>>>>> On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 20:25:43 -0500, "Rick Rogers" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I deleted the
>>>>>>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WdiServiceHost\Security
>>>>>>> key and the start button is no longer gryed out but I now get this
>>>>>>> error when I click the start button...



>>>>>>>> On Saturday, February 21, 2009 4:11 PM Rick Rogers wrote:


>>>>>>>> Why did you delete that?
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> --
>>>>>>>> Best of Luck,
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
>>>>>>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>>>>>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>>>>>>> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com



>>>>>>>>> On Saturday, February 21, 2009 5:29 PM Black Baptist wrote:


>>>>>>>>> To get the start stop buttons to stop being greyed out. I put it back
>>>>>>>>> though because it did not help.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> wrote:



>>>>>>>>> Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
>>>>>>>>> SharePoint WorkFlow Basics
>>>>>>>>> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...ow-basics.aspx

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP! VB.net Service error: "Could not start service on local computer. Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion." mrwoopey Microsoft Dot NET Framework 4 21st Aug 2008 06:27 PM
Is there a way to synchronize favorites between 2 computers? i.e. copy any favorites on computer A but not computer B to computer B and any on computer B but not computer A to computer A? Huck Microsoft Outlook Contacts 1 17th Sep 2006 10:54 AM
Window Services - Difference between Network Service, Local Service ANd Local System Account ABCL Microsoft C# .NET 2 8th Mar 2006 10:18 PM
Unable to open service automatic updates for reading on local computer Error 5: Access is denied. WhattoDo994 Windows XP Security 0 5th Oct 2005 11:08 AM
Unable to open service automatic updates for reading on local computer Error 5: Access is denied. WhattoDo994 Windows XP General 0 30th Sep 2005 05:03 PM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:17 AM.