windows reboot?

Michael Kline

      11th Feb 2004
I would like to know why my computer, reboots everytime I
try to scan for viruses or spyware or if it has just been
sitting for a short time. I have all the updates and this
still goes on what should I do I am on a limited income
and if windows always acts like this Should I go to a
differant operating system or what? i am tired of this !

John Phillips

      11th Feb 2004
What you're probably talking about is a bugcheck, more commonly known as The
Blue Screen of Death (BSOD). The reason you don't see any blue screen,
though, is by default, Windows 2000 automatically reboots. You can change
this behaviour by right-clicking on My Computer, choosing Properties,
choosing the Advanced tab, and clicking on Startup and Recovery. Deselect
"Automatically reboot".

As for what's causing your problem, BSOD's are caused by misbehaving drivers
or misbehaving hardware. Virus scanners often use file system drivers to
aid in their work.

My suggestion to you would be to remove your virus scanning and spyware
scanning software for a while, and see if the problem goes away. If so,
then contact the vendors of those pieces of software for help, or get new
virus and/or spyware scanning software.

--
John Phillips
MVP - Windows SDK

"Michael Kline" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e3d101c3f0d6$aed57c40$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I would like to know why my computer, reboots everytime I
> try to scan for viruses or spyware or if it has just been
> sitting for a short time. I have all the updates and this
> still goes on what should I do I am on a limited income
> and if windows always acts like this Should I go to a
> differant operating system or what? i am tired of this !

Jeff Kish

      12th Feb 2004
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:13:16 -0500, "John Phillips"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What you're probably talking about is a bugcheck, more commonly known as The
>Blue Screen of Death (BSOD). The reason you don't see any blue screen,
>though, is by default, Windows 2000 automatically reboots. You can change
>this behaviour by right-clicking on My Computer, choosing Properties,
>choosing the Advanced tab, and clicking on Startup and Recovery. Deselect
>"Automatically reboot".
>
>As for what's causing your problem, BSOD's are caused by misbehaving drivers
>or misbehaving hardware. Virus scanners often use file system drivers to
>aid in their work.
>
>My suggestion to you would be to remove your virus scanning and spyware
>scanning software for a while, and see if the problem goes away. If so,
>then contact the vendors of those pieces of software for help, or get new
>virus and/or spyware scanning software.

He could also (couldn't he) change to plain vanilla VGA boot and see if the
problem goes away (verifying it is something to do with interaction between
the video driver and the software in use if it does not happen with plain
vanilla VGA).
right?

Jeff Kish

John Phillips

      12th Feb 2004
Sure, that's not a bad idea. The general idea for isolating BSODs (without
crawling through all the core dumps etc...I just don't think the OP is
equipped for it) would be to keep disabling hardware devices until the
problem goes away. So if changing to VGA doesn't work, then maybe disabling
the NIC, or modem, or sound card, or reverting to older drivers, etc.

--
John Phillips
MVP - Windows SDK

news:(E-Mail Removed)...