Windows Picture and Fax Viewer error message "no preview available

=?Utf-8?B?YW5naWVqYWJtc3U=?=

      4th Dec 2005
Hi, all. Was wondering if anyone might know the answer to this question.

Up until last week, I've always been able to view my pics with Windows P & F
Viewer without any problems (they're all stored in the "My Pictures" folder).
But, now when I open the My Pictures folder, I can see all the thumbnails in
the subfolders, but when I open the desired subfolder, Windows P & F Viewer
says "no preview available". I could understand if this was happening to
every subfolder's pictures, but it picks random folders that will display and
won't display. I've checked the properties on all subfolders and they're all
the same (why some display and some won't is puzzling me). Quite confusing
to say the least.

I'd really appreciate some input if anyone has ever experienced anything
similar.

Thanks for your time!

Angiejabmsu

John Inzer

      4th Dec 2005
angiejabmsu wrote:
> Hi, all. Was wondering if anyone might know the answer
> to this question.
>
> Up until last week, I've always been able to view my pics
> with Windows P & F Viewer without any problems (they're
> all stored in the "My Pictures" folder). But, now when I
> open the My Pictures folder, I can see all the thumbnails
> in the subfolders, but when I open the desired subfolder,
> Windows P & F Viewer says "no preview available". I
> could understand if this was happening to every
> subfolder's pictures, but it picks random folders that
> will display and won't display. I've checked the
> properties on all subfolders and they're all the same
> (why some display and some won't is puzzling me). Quite
> confusing to say the least.
>
> I'd really appreciate some input if anyone has ever
> experienced anything similar.
>
> Thanks for your time!
>
> Angiejabmsu

==================================
Have a look at the following article:

(326675) "No Preview Available" and "File
Format Is Not Supported" Error Messages
Occur When You Try to View Graphic Files
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=326675

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! MVP

=?Utf-8?B?YW5naWVqYWJtc3U=?=

      5th Dec 2005
John -

I use neither AOL nor CompuServe. The pictures that I'm trying to view are
ones that I've taken myself and uploaded to my computer. Is there anything
that might have happened to make them unviewable? I mean, one day they're
there viewable, the next they're not.

But, thanks nevertheless for looking into it for me. )

Angie ~

angiejabmsu wrote:
> John -
>
> I use neither AOL nor CompuServe. The pictures that I'm
> trying to view are ones that I've taken myself and
> uploaded to my computer. Is there anything that might
> have happened to make them unviewable? I mean, one day
> they're there viewable, the next they're not.
>
> But, thanks nevertheless for looking into it for me. )
>
> Angie ~

==================================
I thought you said the files were random?

Did you run a full system virus scan using the
most recent definitions?

Maybe it would help to do some maintenance.
It's also a possibility that you have a corrupted
Win XP User Account.

Running Disk Cleanup, Error Checking and
Defrag on a regular schedule is a good idea.

(310312) Description of the Disk Cleanup
Tool in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310312

(315265) How to Perform Disk Error Checking
in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315265
(check the two boxes..."Automatically fix file
system errors" and "Scan for and attempt
recovery of bad sectors") the utility will run
the next time you restart your computer.
(run error checking repeatedly until it finds
no errors)

(314848) How to Defragment Your Disk
Drive Volumes in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314848

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! MVP
How to ask a newsgroup question:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

David Candy

      5th Dec 2005
email a jpg file to (E-Mail Removed)

Read David defending the concept of violence.
http://margokingston.typepad.com/har...e_ga.html#more
"John Inzer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:OkUyZVV%(E-Mail Removed)...
> angiejabmsu wrote:
>> John -
>>
>> I use neither AOL nor CompuServe. The pictures that I'm
>> trying to view are ones that I've taken myself and
>> uploaded to my computer. Is there anything that might
>> have happened to make them unviewable? I mean, one day
>> they're there viewable, the next they're not.
>>
>> But, thanks nevertheless for looking into it for me. )
>>
>> Angie ~

> ==================================
> I thought you said the files were random?
>
> Did you run a full system virus scan using the
> most recent definitions?
>
> Maybe it would help to do some maintenance.
> It's also a possibility that you have a corrupted
> Win XP User Account.
>
> Running Disk Cleanup, Error Checking and
> Defrag on a regular schedule is a good idea.
>
> (310312) Description of the Disk Cleanup
> Tool in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310312
>
> (315265) How to Perform Disk Error Checking
> in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315265
> (check the two boxes..."Automatically fix file
> system errors" and "Scan for and attempt
> recovery of bad sectors") the utility will run
> the next time you restart your computer.
> (run error checking repeatedly until it finds
> no errors)
>
> (314848) How to Defragment Your Disk
> Drive Volumes in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314848
>

> --
>
> John Inzer
> MS Picture It! MVP
> How to ask a newsgroup question:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

=?Utf-8?B?TG9vY2hpZQ==?=

      19th Mar 2006
I have the same exact problem too. Was anyone able to solve this problem?
I also do not use AOL so that solution didn't help either.
Thanks, Steve