Windows needs to know what program created it

Doug

      16th Oct 2003
Upon starting the computer most programs/files will not
start and the message "To open this file, windows needs
to know what program created it" appears. I still can
use the internet explorer and outlook express but that is
about it. Also the network connections in control panel
doesn't show the modem. I think the virus check has been
disabled as well. I ran several online virus checks but
they didn't find anything. Any ideas before formatting?
Thanks.

Kelly

      16th Oct 2003
Hi Doug,

Run this small utility and remove problematic .exe's from your run keys and
also stop the process via the Task Manager.

List of Startup Programs Running at Login (Line 261)

If your system is clean, run this edit:

EXE and LNK Fix for Windows XP - Line 12

To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

--
All the Best,
Kelly

MS-MVP Win98/XP
[AE-Windows® XP]

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

"Doug" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0aa401c39379$2fd749b0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Upon starting the computer most programs/files will not
> start and the message "To open this file, windows needs
> to know what program created it" appears. I still can
> use the internet explorer and outlook express but that is
> about it. Also the network connections in control panel
> doesn't show the modem. I think the virus check has been
> disabled as well. I ran several online virus checks but
> they didn't find anything. Any ideas before formatting?
> Thanks.

doug

      16th Oct 2003
Hi,

Thanks for the web site. I tried the first fix and
nothing unusual appeared. I tried the second fix but it
won't let me open regedit unless it knows what program
created it.

Thanks anyways

Doug

Kelly

      17th Oct 2003
Hi Doug,

The first one would have given you a log file that reads your runkeys so you
can remove the problematic ones (worms/virii). The second issue you faced
because either regedit.exe has become restricted or over written. Try
renaming it to regedit.com and try again. If not run the vb script on line
275. http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

--
All the Best,
Kelly

MS-MVP Win98/XP
[AE-Windows® XP]

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

"doug" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:053901c3942e$35db8050$(E-Mail Removed)...
Hi,

Thanks for the web site. I tried the first fix and
nothing unusual appeared. I tried the second fix but it
won't let me open regedit unless it knows what program
created it.

Thanks anyways

Doug

New Member

      15th Mar 2011
I have this exact same problem and cannot fix it. I have tried everything listed here and still nothing. I can open my browsers, but no programs. MSCONFIG will not open or run and I am beyond frustrated. Help!