Windows Movie Maker to audio CD?

frantzkim

      15th Dec 2008
I see other posts that are similar, but I'm not confident I can do this - I
love Windows Movie Maker and am very comfortable editing. I have recorded
audio voices (reading to my nephews) and want to edit them with music, then
burn them to plain old CDs for the car. Is this possible? Would someone
please help me? Thanks!

John Inzer

      16th Dec 2008
frantzkim wrote:
> I see other posts that are similar, but I'm not confident I can do
> this - I love Windows Movie Maker and am very comfortable editing. I
> have recorded audio voices (reading to my nephews) and want to edit
> them with music, then burn them to plain old CDs for the car. Is
> this possible? Would someone please help me? Thanks!

==============================
Save your files in the .wma (audio) format.

In timeline view...drag all the audio files to the
Audio/Music track...then go to...
File / Save Movie File...
My Computer / Next...
Enter a name and a save location / Next...
Best quality for playback on my computer / Next...

Wait for the file to save....the result will be a .wma
audio file.

Then burn a cd as per the instructions in the
following articles:

===
Windows Media Player 10
for Windows XP
Burn Your Own CDs
http://tinyurl.com/55njt
or...
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...rn_how_to.aspx
===
Windows Media Player 11
for WIndows XP
Burn Your Own Customized CDs
http://tinyurl.com/yye3ju
or...
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...mp11/burn.aspx
===
Windows Media Player 11
for Windows Vista
Burn Your Own Customized Audio CDs
http://tinyurl.com/3yznpz
or...
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...1_wv/burn.aspx
===

--

John Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

jofish22

      16th Dec 2008
This question and answer relate to an issue I've been very frustrated with. I
have an Olympus digital voice recorder that records to .wma files. I want to
record a couple of talks from the DVR to CD that are too long to fit on one
70 minute disc, so am looking for a method to split the .wma files to 2
smaller ones. Your suggestion here to use Windows Movie Maker appears to be
specific to XP--doesn't work with Vista as far as I've been able to see. I
think the Movie Maker software has changed. Is there a way to edit .wma
files into 2 smaller ones on Vista Home Premium? I've spent hours trying to
find a way and would greatly appreciate your help!

"John Inzer" wrote:

> frantzkim wrote:
> > I see other posts that are similar, but I'm not confident I can do
> > this - I love Windows Movie Maker and am very comfortable editing. I
> > have recorded audio voices (reading to my nephews) and want to edit
> > them with music, then burn them to plain old CDs for the car. Is
> > this possible? Would someone please help me? Thanks!

> ==============================
> Save your files in the .wma (audio) format.
>
> In timeline view...drag all the audio files to the
> Audio/Music track...then go to...
> File / Save Movie File...
> My Computer / Next...
> Enter a name and a save location / Next...
> Best quality for playback on my computer / Next...
>
> Wait for the file to save....the result will be a .wma
> audio file.
>
> Then burn a cd as per the instructions in the
> following articles:
>
> ===
> Windows Media Player 10
> for Windows XP
> Burn Your Own CDs
> http://tinyurl.com/55njt
> or...
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...rn_how_to.aspx
> ===
> Windows Media Player 11
> for WIndows XP
> Burn Your Own Customized CDs
> http://tinyurl.com/yye3ju
> or...
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...mp11/burn.aspx
> ===
> Windows Media Player 11
> for Windows Vista
> Burn Your Own Customized Audio CDs
> http://tinyurl.com/3yznpz
> or...
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...1_wv/burn.aspx
> ===
>
> --
>
> John Inzer MS-MVP
> Digital Media Experience
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk

frantzkim

      16th Dec 2008
Thank you for your (quick) advice. That did seem to work, putting everything
on one track. Do you know if it's possible to separate them so I could have
8 different tracks? Also, can I additionally overlay music, or does all info
need to be in the audio/music line?
I appreciate your help!

"John Inzer" wrote:

> frantzkim wrote:
> > I see other posts that are similar, but I'm not confident I can do
> > this - I love Windows Movie Maker and am very comfortable editing. I
> > have recorded audio voices (reading to my nephews) and want to edit
> > them with music, then burn them to plain old CDs for the car. Is
> > this possible? Would someone please help me? Thanks!

> ==============================
> Save your files in the .wma (audio) format.
>
> In timeline view...drag all the audio files to the
> Audio/Music track...then go to...
> File / Save Movie File...
> My Computer / Next...
> Enter a name and a save location / Next...
> Best quality for playback on my computer / Next...
>
> Wait for the file to save....the result will be a .wma
> audio file.
>
> Then burn a cd as per the instructions in the
> following articles:
>
> ===
> Windows Media Player 10
> for Windows XP
> Burn Your Own CDs
> http://tinyurl.com/55njt
> or...
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...rn_how_to.aspx
> ===
> Windows Media Player 11
> for WIndows XP
> Burn Your Own Customized CDs
> http://tinyurl.com/yye3ju
> or...
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...mp11/burn.aspx
> ===
> Windows Media Player 11
> for Windows Vista
> Burn Your Own Customized Audio CDs
> http://tinyurl.com/3yznpz
> or...
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...1_wv/burn.aspx
> ===
>
> --
>
> John Inzer MS-MVP
> Digital Media Experience
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk

John Inzer

      16th Dec 2008
frantzkim wrote:
> Thank you for your (quick) advice. That did seem to work, putting
> everything on one track. Do you know if it's possible to separate
> them so I could have 8 different tracks?

===================================
You could split the file (Ctrl+L) and have
segments but not 8 simultaneous tracks.
===================================
> Also, can I additionally
> overlay music, or does all info need to be in the audio/music line?
> I appreciate your help!

===================================
As far as I know...all the audio must be on the
Audio/Music track in order to create a .wma
sound file.

Maybe a program like the following would be
worth a try:

Audacity
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Audacity Features
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/about/features

Audacity Tutorials
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/manu...tutorials.html

How do I save my recording on an audio CD?
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help...iles&i=burn-cd

--

John Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

jofish22

      17th Dec 2008
Audacity doesn't support .wma files. Since this is a windows media Audio
issue, I hope to find help somewhere on the Windows website in breaking down
wma files for burning to CD without purchasing an expensive audio editing
suite. Thanks anyway.