windows metafile vs enhanced metafile

=?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=

      30th Jun 2005
what's the difference? When i copy and paste as an image, I always select
windows metafile fo rno reason. now I'm curious, what's the difference?

Tom

Steve Rindsberg

      30th Jun 2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tom wrote:
> what's the difference? When i copy and paste as an image, I always select
> windows metafile fo rno reason. now I'm curious, what's the difference?

If you're copy/pasting bitmap graphics (ie, photos, scans, like that) you're
generally better off not doing it at all (best to save to file then Insert,
Picture, From File to bring the file into PPT). If that's a non-starter for
whatever reason, choose PNG or JPG for this type of graphics.

WMFs/EMFs are mostly useful for "vector" graphics. If you can ungroup it and
get at the individual shapes, text and stuff that makes it up, it's a vector
graphic.

EMF and WMF are the same general idea but EMF is a bit newer and can do a
better job of representing curves and some text.

Generally try EMF first, if that fails, give WMF a try.

Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
PPTools: www.pptools.com

=?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=

      30th Jun 2005
Thx for the input. I usually save images as jpg or png then insert picture. I
only use WMF when i copy and paste stuff, like from excel.

which method yields the smallest file size? (Inserting jpg or png or pasting
as WMF or pasting as EMF). Maybe I'll just try it out and report my findings.

Anyways, thx.
Tom

"Steve Rindsberg" wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tom wrote:
> > what's the difference? When i copy and paste as an image, I always select
> > windows metafile fo rno reason. now I'm curious, what's the difference?

> If you're copy/pasting bitmap graphics (ie, photos, scans, like that) you're
> generally better off not doing it at all (best to save to file then Insert,
> Picture, From File to bring the file into PPT). If that's a non-starter for
> whatever reason, choose PNG or JPG for this type of graphics.
>
> WMFs/EMFs are mostly useful for "vector" graphics. If you can ungroup it and
> get at the individual shapes, text and stuff that makes it up, it's a vector
> graphic.
>
> EMF and WMF are the same general idea but EMF is a bit newer and can do a
> better job of representing curves and some text.
>
> Generally try EMF first, if that fails, give WMF a try.

> Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
> PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
> PPTools: www.pptools.com

=?Utf-8?B?SmFuQWRhbQ==?=

      30th Jun 2005
Even when you copy from Excell or other programs (I do it often from
SigmaPlot) you may wish to use Edit -> Paste Special, which gives you an
option of using several different formats, including .jpg.
I think, but am not sure, that if you size your picture in the source
program (or a photo editor) and then paste special it as jpg you get the best
trade-off between the size and quality.
JanAdam

"Tom" wrote:

> Thx for the input. I usually save images as jpg or png then insert picture. I
> only use WMF when i copy and paste stuff, like from excel.
>
> which method yields the smallest file size? (Inserting jpg or png or pasting
> as WMF or pasting as EMF). Maybe I'll just try it out and report my findings.
>
> Anyways, thx.
> Tom
>
> "Steve Rindsberg" wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tom wrote:
> > > what's the difference? When i copy and paste as an image, I always select
> > > windows metafile fo rno reason. now I'm curious, what's the difference?

> > If you're copy/pasting bitmap graphics (ie, photos, scans, like that) you're
> > generally better off not doing it at all (best to save to file then Insert,
> > Picture, From File to bring the file into PPT). If that's a non-starter for
> > whatever reason, choose PNG or JPG for this type of graphics.
> >
> > WMFs/EMFs are mostly useful for "vector" graphics. If you can ungroup it and
> > get at the individual shapes, text and stuff that makes it up, it's a vector
> > graphic.
> >
> > EMF and WMF are the same general idea but EMF is a bit newer and can do a
> > better job of representing curves and some text.
> >
> > Generally try EMF first, if that fails, give WMF a try.

> > Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
> > PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
> > PPTools: www.pptools.com

Steve Rindsberg

      1st Jul 2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tom wrote:
> Thx for the input. I usually save images as jpg or png then insert picture. I
> only use WMF when i copy and paste stuff, like from excel.

Where it or EMF are your best choices. You're right on track, then.

> which method yields the smallest file size? (Inserting jpg or png or pasting
> as WMF or pasting as EMF). Maybe I'll just try it out and report my findings.

It'll depend on what's in the file. If an image, then WMFs will be huge. If text
and lines and stuff, then WMF will be much smaller.

> Anyways, thx.
> Tom
>
> "Steve Rindsberg" wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tom wrote:
> > > what's the difference? When i copy and paste as an image, I always select
> > > windows metafile fo rno reason. now I'm curious, what's the difference?

> > If you're copy/pasting bitmap graphics (ie, photos, scans, like that) you're
> > generally better off not doing it at all (best to save to file then Insert,
> > Picture, From File to bring the file into PPT). If that's a non-starter for
> > whatever reason, choose PNG or JPG for this type of graphics.
> >
> > WMFs/EMFs are mostly useful for "vector" graphics. If you can ungroup it and
> > get at the individual shapes, text and stuff that makes it up, it's a vector
> > graphic.
> >
> > EMF and WMF are the same general idea but EMF is a bit newer and can do a
> > better job of representing curves and some text.
> >
> > Generally try EMF first, if that fails, give WMF a try.

> > Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
> > PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
> > PPTools: www.pptools.com

Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP