windows messenger will not turn off

gorn

      12th Oct 2003
I have done the suggested things to stop Windows
Messenger from starting up, but this has not worked.
I uncheched the start with windows box, I also went into
control panel, add/remove windows, and unchecked
messenger, but it still keeps trying to load up.
I now have msn messenger 6.0, and every time I use it
Windows Messenger tries to start. This is a problem that
should never have happened MICROSOFT! Its damned annoying!

Gary Tsang

      12th Oct 2003
Hi,

Take a look at Doug Knox's Website at this link for detailed instructions on
how to disable your Windows Messenger.
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_messenger_remove.htm

When you do this your Windows Messenger won't show up in your taskbar
anymore. Your MSN Messenger 6.0 will continue to function.

However if you want to completely remove/uninstall Windows Messenger from
Windows XP can be found at this website made by Jonathan Kay.
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/problem.aspx?ID=7

Follow the steps and the pictures that the website has and you shouldn't
have anymore problems. Uninstalling Windows Messenger can disable some of
the messenger features such as Whiteboard Sharing, and others on MSN
Messenger if you're using that.

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

"gorn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:27f3b01c39083$6ad07df0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have done the suggested things to stop Windows
> Messenger from starting up, but this has not worked.
> I uncheched the start with windows box, I also went into
> control panel, add/remove windows, and unchecked
> messenger, but it still keeps trying to load up.
> I now have msn messenger 6.0, and every time I use it
> Windows Messenger tries to start. This is a problem that
> should never have happened MICROSOFT! Its damned annoying!

Lucky One

      12th Oct 2003
Hi gorn

If you have Norton Antivirus 2003 installed?
open Norton Antivirus click Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck
MSN Instant Messenger and click OK.

"gorn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:27f3b01c39083$6ad07df0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have done the suggested things to stop Windows
> Messenger from starting up, but this has not worked.
> I uncheched the start with windows box, I also went into
> control panel, add/remove windows, and unchecked
> messenger, but it still keeps trying to load up.
> I now have msn messenger 6.0, and every time I use it
> Windows Messenger tries to start. This is a problem that
> should never have happened MICROSOFT! Its damned annoying!

vae maximus

      13th Oct 2003
A big shout out to Lucky One for the info. I was having
a problem with not being able to close Windows Messenger -
I'd get an alert message stating that another app
(Outlook, IE, et al) was using Messenger features,
although none of the referenced progs was running at the
time. I tried your fix of going into my Norton Antivirus
options (which I had indeed recently installed as part of
Norton Internet Securities 2003), and voila, that was
it. Sometimes I wonder if the perceived security
provided by Norton is worth the problems it causes (I
also had Norton Systemworks installed on my Windows 98
o/s, oy vey, don't get me started with that bug-a-boo).
Anyway, big ups for the assist.