windows messenger and remote assitance

Karen

      29th Apr 2010
Hello,
When I try to establish a remote assistance connection, I get a message
stating I need to install a newer version of messenger, but I have the newest
version installed. I even uninstalled then reinstalled. When I go to Start,
Help & Support, Invite a friend to help....thats where it says that I dont
have windows messenger installed , there used to be names there that were off
of my contacts list to connect to.....somehow they have disappeared and it
says that Windows Messenger is not installed, when indeed it is. I have
Version 2009 (Build 14.0.8089.726) installed.
The only thing I can think of that might have changed this remote assistance
option issue through the messenger is that I had uninstalled the original
windows messenger that had came installed on my Dell Inspiron 530 when I
purchased it. What do you think is the problem?
Any help with this matter is much appreciated,
K.Rendel

--
Karen

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

      3rd May 2010
Greetings Karen,

The message is worded incorrectly. What they're trying to say is that you have the latest
Windows Live Messenger installed, and what you need installed is the latest Windows Messenger
(not Live). They are separate products, although they operate on the same network.

So you can use Remote Assistance in Windows Live Messenger but the old Windows Messenger
still needs to be installed for it to work. Note that this requirement only exists in
Windows XP (was fixed in Vista and Windows 7).

Therefore, to correct the problem, just install the final version of Windows Messenger 5.x
from here:
http://messenger.jonathankay.com/redir/51installer.asp

After that's installed, you can just use Remote Assistance within your normal Windows Live
Messenger.

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger

"Karen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
> When I try to establish a remote assistance connection, I get a message
> stating I need to install a newer version of messenger, but I have the newest
> version installed. I even uninstalled then reinstalled. When I go to Start,
> Help & Support, Invite a friend to help....thats where it says that I dont
> have windows messenger installed , there used to be names there that were off
> of my contacts list to connect to.....somehow they have disappeared and it
> says that Windows Messenger is not installed, when indeed it is. I have
> Version 2009 (Build 14.0.8089.726) installed.
> The only thing I can think of that might have changed this remote assistance
> option issue through the messenger is that I had uninstalled the original
> windows messenger that had came installed on my Dell Inspiron 530 when I
> purchased it. What do you think is the problem?
> Any help with this matter is much appreciated,
> K.Rendel
>

> --
> Karen

Karen

      30th May 2010
Hello Jonathan,
It worked ! I was at my wits end trying to find the answer/fix for this
issue. I had left this question on several other sites and even talked to a
professional computer tech and all of them had no answer/fix to this problem.
I want to thank you so very much ! Now I can use my remote assistance again
to help my elderly mother when she is on her computer.
K. Rendel
--
Karen

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" wrote:

> Greetings Karen,
>
> The message is worded incorrectly. What they're trying to say is that you have the latest
> Windows Live Messenger installed, and what you need installed is the latest Windows Messenger
> (not Live). They are separate products, although they operate on the same network.
>
> So you can use Remote Assistance in Windows Live Messenger but the old Windows Messenger
> still needs to be installed for it to work. Note that this requirement only exists in
> Windows XP (was fixed in Vista and Windows 7).
>
> Therefore, to correct the problem, just install the final version of Windows Messenger 5.x
> from here:
> http://messenger.jonathankay.com/redir/51installer.asp
>
> After that's installed, you can just use Remote Assistance within your normal Windows Live
> Messenger.
>
> --
> Jonathan Kay
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
> MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
> MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
> Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
> (c) 2010 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
> --
>

> "Karen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello,
> > When I try to establish a remote assistance connection, I get a message
> > stating I need to install a newer version of messenger, but I have the newest
> > version installed. I even uninstalled then reinstalled. When I go to Start,
> > Help & Support, Invite a friend to help....thats where it says that I dont
> > have windows messenger installed , there used to be names there that were off
> > of my contacts list to connect to.....somehow they have disappeared and it
> > says that Windows Messenger is not installed, when indeed it is. I have
> > Version 2009 (Build 14.0.8089.726) installed.
> > The only thing I can think of that might have changed this remote assistance
> > option issue through the messenger is that I had uninstalled the original
> > windows messenger that had came installed on my Dell Inspiron 530 when I
> > purchased it. What do you think is the problem?
> > Any help with this matter is much appreciated,
> > K.Rendel
> >

> > --
> > Karen

> .

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

      1st Jun 2010

Hi Karen,

Weird, this is a long standing problem and I've written the solution dozens upon hundreds of
times (also been in magazines and books). So, I'm not quite sure why professionals wouldn't
be able to find it

Glad to be helpful!

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger
MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
(c) 2010 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
Last day to go!