Windows Installer Problems

Simon Jones

      29th Sep 2004
I have a W2000 server that seems to have got installer
problems. Each time I run Explorer or IExplorer the
Windows Installer box pops up saying "Prepairing to
Install" three times, it then disapears and all seems
fine. I'm also unable to install certain apps where i get
the following error:

1607: Unable to install InstallShield Scripting runtime.

Thanks,

SJ

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

      29th Sep 2004
Simon Jones wrote:

> I have a W2000 server that seems to have got installer
> problems. Each time I run Explorer or IExplorer the
> Windows Installer box pops up saying "Prepairing to
> Install" three times, it then disapears and all seems
> fine. I'm also unable to install certain apps where i get
> the following error:
>
> 1607: Unable to install InstallShield Scripting runtime.

Hi

For the 1607 error, one of this ones might apply:

ERRDOC: Runtime Error -1607
http://support.installshield.com/kb/...icleid=Q107070

Error 1607 Unable to Install InstallShield Scripting Run Time
http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q108340

ERRDOC: Run-time Error 1607
http://support.installshield.com/kb/...icleid=q107094

For the Windows Installer pop ups:

Most likely it is Windows Installer doing an on-demand installation...

See "Every time I launch my application, Windows Installer performs an
installation. How can I determine the cause of the on-demand installation?"
in the FAQ at

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...t/msi_faq.mspx

To access the Application Log in the Event viewer,
run the following command from Start/Run:

eventvwr.msc

If you are running Windows XP (or have access to a Windows XP computer,
you can copy MSIZAP.EXE over to your Win2k computer):

If a product code is listed there and this product is not really installed,
MSIZAP.EXE is maybe able to fix this issue, it is included as a utility in
the support tools installation package (on your WinXP CD) with some
additional
documentation included in suptools.chm (installed by suptools.msi).

It will remove all Windows Installer entries for a product key that you feed
it with.

Note that if MSIZAP.EXE is used incorrectly it can affect other applications
on the machine.

Based on the documentation in
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...msizap_exe.asp

this is what you should run:

msizap T {product code}

an example:
msizap T {FFB37294-1155-17D3-A809-0250BAAFB1AB}

Alternatively, for a more user friendly interface to MSIZAP.EXE ,
take a look at this article:

Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scr...r/default.mspx