Windows Installer Problem

=?Utf-8?B?SGVyYg==?=

      30th Dec 2006
Whenever I start up my computer (Windows XP Professional), a Windows
Installer window is displayed stating "Prepaing to install ... (software
program not specified). This window will remain there until I use Task
Manager to end it.

If I click on Cancel, I get the message that the installation is being
cancelled but then nothing ever happens beyond that point. I tried using the
Installaton Cleanup utility but that didn't solve the problem.

What can I try next?
--
Herb

Brian A

      30th Dec 2006
It may be an update to either the system or an app. To check it out:

Click Start > Run, type in: msconfig and press Enter.
Click the Startup tab and see if anything is there that shouldn't be.
Unchecking an item will only disable it, to remove it you would need to delete it
from the registry key:
hklm\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run

You could also boot to Safe Mode and empty the contents of:
C:\Documents and Settings\Your user name folder\Local Settings\Temp
C:\Windows\Prefetch
C:\Windows\Temp

If this started recently and you haven't run any installs, run a full system virus
scan and check your system for other spyware/adware that may have compromised the
machine.

--

Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://basconotw.mvps.org/