Windows installer for Java Won't install

Loring Hutchinson

      17th May 2006
i'm running Win XP with SP2. I have a P4 system.

I need to load the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) software and am
having problems. I have successfully downloaded the software. When I
go thru the Installation Instructions for JRE using Internet Explorer
here's what happens.

When I get to the window titled "software Installation" and click on
"install now", as soon as it tries to install, I get a window titled
Windows Installer that says:

"This installation package could not be opened. Verify that this
package exists and that you can access it or contact the
application vendor."

I can see the downloaded (unopened) file in my download folder.

Any help will be appreciated.

TIA Loring H

=?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3IEUu?=

      18th May 2006
Got to http://www.msn.com Search/type:Microsoft Java Virtual Machine
In the results page,download MJVM from a 3rd party,it has x86 on it.Once
installed,go to windows update,admin.options,open update catalog,select for
windows OS,scroll to Windows server 2003-web edition,in results,get the
1st download,its for xp,it updates MJVM..

"Loring Hutchinson" wrote:

> i'm running Win XP with SP2. I have a P4 system.
>
> I need to load the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) software and am
> having problems. I have successfully downloaded the software. When I
> go thru the Installation Instructions for JRE using Internet Explorer
> here's what happens.
>
> When I get to the window titled "software Installation" and click on
> "install now", as soon as it tries to install, I get a window titled
> Windows Installer that says:
>
> "This installation package could not be opened. Verify that this
> package exists and that you can access it or contact the
> application vendor."
>
> I can see the downloaded (unopened) file in my download folder.
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> TIA Loring H

Loring Hutchinson

      18th May 2006
For anyone who might be interested I found the problem. The auto
installer wasn't working correctly. Java has some pretty good troubly
shooting stuff on their site. I downloaded a copy of java and then
installed it offline and everything went as it should.

best regards

Loring